Doctor Who

Discuss your favorite movies, books, and music here or just lounge around and see what other people think is classy.
Deltamatic
Vorticon Elite

Doctor Who

Post by Deltamatic »

I noticed a couple other Doctor Who fans on the PCKF via references in username and location strings and for all I know there's more here than I've noticed so we might get a decent discussion going. And there's plenty to discuss with the new season and new enemies and [spoilers] [size=0] the Doctor's death [/size] [/spoilers], so I'll start off with my impressions.
The Silents look to be interesting villains. Forget them by default, and powers of suggestion, and disintegrating people at will. Though the first episode didn't use them much, it's the first half of a two-parter after all, and judging by the trailers the second episode will use them well.
[spoilers] [size=0] One wonders how BBC will continue the series after Matt Smith... the Master might have come back after death and immolation, maybe they'll have the Doctor go through some process like that, or maybe the companions will somehow manage to save him without causing paradoxes. The non-paradoxical way to save the Doctor I can think of is dropping in another time traveler to save him, but that's deus ex mechanical. [/size] [/spoilers]
lemm
Blorb

Post by lemm »

What's Dr. Who?
mortimer
Blistering Barnacles

Post by mortimer »

:garg :garg :garg :garg :garg
Last edited by mortimer on Sun Jul 12, 2020 20:16, edited 1 time in total.
Billions of blue blistering barnacles in a thousand thundering typhoons!
RoboBlue
It's that one guy.

Post by RoboBlue »

Coincidentally, the first four seasons are 60% off on amazon today only.
Deltamatic
Vorticon Elite

Post by Deltamatic »

If River is the TARDIS then Silence in the Library wouldn't have been the first time the Doctor met her, as she claimed.
What's Dr. Who?
You could look it up on TV Tropes, or watch an episode on YouTube which might be faster. If you go the YouTube route, I'd recommend the episode "Blink". Searching for Doctor Who Blink part 1 should do the trick, if the video string runs out before the episode is over try switching to scene 1 and following the string until you've caught up with yourself.
DHeadshot
Vorticon Elite

Post by DHeadshot »

RoboBlue wrote:Coincidentally, the first four seasons are 60% off on amazon today only.
You mean the original serieses or the return?
Cereal Board!
Deltamatic wrote:Prepositions are things I end sentences with.
(Cereal wiki has sadly died)
RoboBlue
It's that one guy.

Post by RoboBlue »

The TV series from the 2000s.
mortimer
Blistering Barnacles

Post by mortimer »

Last edited by mortimer on Sun Jul 12, 2020 20:16, edited 1 time in total.
kuliwil
Blue-tongued Yorp

Post by kuliwil »

Despite getting the new eps only a fortnight after you guys, that's still far too much lagtime.

If any other Aussies wanna talk Dr Who, hit me up some other way.
"Hi, I'm Tom Sellick's moustache."
KeenEmpire
Intellectuality

Post by KeenEmpire »

mortimer wrote: So who do you think River song is? There's the obvious option of his wife, but I've heard rumours that she is a physical embodiment of the TARDIS which would be interesting and would explain why she knows the TARDIS so well.
Eh, it's probably more mundane than the latter. I'm wondering if there won't be a twist in the episode of the same name though.
"In order to ensure our security, and continuing stability, the Kingdom has been reorganized into the First Vorticon Intellectuality!" Image
guynietoren
Vorticon Elite

Post by guynietoren »

I've only recently got in to Doctor Who. I am not a fan of Torchwood though. Maybe it's just the acting that messes it up for me.

It has a weird way to account for causality. The doctor can go into a time where he previously influenced in the future and wasn't aware of it yet. Like where he first met Queen Elizabeth the first and she already already met his future self and wanted to kill him. But then you also have the mess in the last season with the cracks in time where his future self would have already caused the end of the universe which coexists in all points in time except for earlier episodes. So there's the normal time line, and then the time line of the Tardis and neither one seem to have priority in the plot.

I do find it highly entertaining. Just the science is a bit confusing or under explained. Such as the nature of the sonic screwdriver.
KeenEmpire
Intellectuality

Post by KeenEmpire »

I've traced through mortimer's link, and found this; funny moment at around 2:00.
"In order to ensure our security, and continuing stability, the Kingdom has been reorganized into the First Vorticon Intellectuality!" Image
mortimer
Blistering Barnacles

Post by mortimer »

Last edited by mortimer on Sun Jul 12, 2020 20:16, edited 2 times in total.
Commander Spleen
Lord of the Foobs

Post by Commander Spleen »

Just the science is a bit confusing or under explained.
Agatha Christie wrote:such wonderful nonsense
mortimer
Blistering Barnacles

Post by mortimer »

Last edited by mortimer on Sun Jul 12, 2020 20:17, edited 1 time in total.