New Sonic Game: Sonic Generations

Discuss classic and favorite computer or console games here.
Lava89
Vorticon Elite

Post by Lava89 »

Thanks for sharing Preston! Hopefully everyone saw the last few seconds of footage from the Sonic Unleashed level "Spagonia" tacked at the end.
RoboBlue wrote:That looks great, but where's the awesome music?
What they replaced it with is pretty bland. :/
I'm sure they'll change it. The gameplay trailer for Green Hill I posted at the top had different music than the original, but the extended gameplay footage link has a remix of the original green hill theme.

They just have to put it back!
DHeadshot
Vorticon Elite

Post by DHeadshot »

I've just given up trying to install Sonic R. On a drive with 50GB free it complains that there isn't the 90MB free to install itself. So after puzzling over this I booted up Virtual PC and installed it on my ME test install, which is the only other OS I have access to on here that the box says it'll run on. Sure enough, when limited to 10GB of free space it installs fine...then crashes. Any attempts to run the game also crash. Whoever made the install procedure for this game needs to be torn limb-from-limb by angry gamerd. Oh wait, that's probably already happened...

[edit]Oh and if anyone says "Get it on Steam", Hell no! I have a physical copy, I'm not paying for another one that's basically fake.
Cereal Board!
Deltamatic wrote:Prepositions are things I end sentences with.
(Cereal wiki has sadly died)
Toothpick
Vortininja

Post by Toothpick »

RoboBlue wrote:That looks great, but where's the awesome music?
What they replaced it with is pretty bland. :/
That's not the actual music to the stage. There are remixes of "Escape from the City" for both the classic and modern parts of the level. The classic remix even has a part of Sonic 3's Endless Mine in there.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-oweDMaH5TY

Skip to 1:02 for the Endless Mine part. The music you hear in the video was ripped from the Sonic Boom concert (which is why you hear talking in the background), but it will be used in the game.
Flaose
Vorticon Elder

Post by Flaose »

DHeadshot wrote:I've just given up trying to install Sonic R
The error you're encountering is probably the one that is caused by having a CPU that's just too dang fast. That one's easy to bypass, but there's another one that's a bit more frustrating. This is a bit of an involved process, but I've got it working on Win7x64, so bear with me.

1. First of all, copy the files from the CD to your hard drive. I think the installer defaults to C:\Sega\SonicR, so that's as good a place as any.
2. Next, download this file and extract it over top of the original file. This will fix the first bug that you've encountered.

Now, try and run the program. Most likely you'll get to the video select screen (DirectDraw or Direct3D) and have a lack of keyboard response. If you can run the program fine, then congrats! You've done it! Otherwise:

3. Download DXWnd, extract it wherever, right-click on the .exe and select properties. Go to the compatibility tab, and run it in compatibility mode for Win XP Service Pack 2, and also click the "Run as administrator" box. Apply and hit ok.
4. Run dxwnd.exe. Choose edit > add, and then click "..." to find and select SonicR.exe (in my case, C:\Sega\SonicR\sonicr.exe).
5. The default settings are fine, so once you have the correct file-path, just hit OK.
6. Double-click your new SonicR path in DXWnd and prepare to play! (Make sure you choose DirectDraw or the game will probably crash)
Cerebral Cortex 314 - For All of your Commander Keen Needs.
Eat at Joe's
Roobar
Vorticon Elite

Post by Roobar »

Just a few hours before Sonic Generations gets unlocked on steam!
Roobar
Vorticon Elite

Post by Roobar »

This game is visually AMAZING! Beautiful graphics, great levels and very good sense of speed! Well, it's a bit too faster and the game is hard to master. But for me, it's the best Sonic on a major console since Sonic 3 (I haven't played Sonic 4 though). The other good Sonics are for the DS. I would even buy a 3DS for playing the 3DS version of Sonic Generations! (love the mushroom hills look!)

Overall, it's a must have for every Sonic fan! Too bad that they will get in a new direction with the next installment next year...
Galaxieretter
Arachnut

Post by Galaxieretter »

The only thing I'll say about this is something my friend Synduo said a long time ago about Sonic, and that is:

"In the old games Sonic was cute but when they made him 3D they made him look like a crack whore."

-so true.
"Check out the red marker... it smells like cherries."
Roobar
Vorticon Elite

Post by Roobar »

Galaxieretter wrote:The only thing I'll say about this is something my friend Synduo said a long time ago about Sonic, and that is:

"In the old games Sonic was cute but when they made him 3D they made him look like a crack whore."

-so true.
Well obviously you and your friend haven't played Sonic Generations...