:garg :garg :garg :garg :garg

A general chat area, here you can post anything that doesn't belong in another forum.
mortimer
Blistering Barnacles

Post by mortimer »

Last edited by mortimer on Sun Jul 12, 2020 20:21, edited 2 times in total.
Billions of blue blistering barnacles in a thousand thundering typhoons!
Paramultart
VBB's Partner in Crime

Re: Self Harm

Post by Paramultart »

mortimer wrote:My parents still don't know I do it. Seems like everyone else does, and i'm known generally as the school's Emo which doesn't help the situation, but I haven't told them yet. I know I shouldn't cut myself, but I still do, because I must. Life sucks sometimes as anyone can tell you, but I feel like it's constantly bad! But my question is this: do I tell my parents that I slit my wrists and face their disapointment and months of counselling, or should I wait and hope I can stop by myself?
I've never understood how cutting has any therapeutic value at all, but I suggest you get this thing under control before it gets worse.

As for your parents - if you can't get this bad habit under control, you should definitely go to them for help.

However, I would recommend that you DO NOT go on antidepressants. They do not make you happy, just numb, and more apt to follow through with suicide.

Make sure you are getting proper nutrition to treat your depression, particularly your B vitamins.
"Father Mabeuf was surveying his plants"
tulip
Flower Pot

Post by tulip »

And as much as I would like to change it: we need other people to be happy.
You'll never get happy on your own, I guess it can be hard, but try having more contact with other people, and I mean IRL.
Image You crack me up little buddy!
Dynamo
Vorticon Elite

Post by Dynamo »

Come to IRC.

This isn't a troll post. I'm actually serious. Come to IRC and I'll try to help you out.
RoboBlue
It's that one guy.

Post by RoboBlue »

If you are clinically depressed (you're focusing much more on the cutting than actual depression in your post, which is a bit unusual), you should definitely seek therapy and possibly medication. It can take quite a bit of trial and error with different medicines before you find the right one, though, and in this economic climate it's always possible that you'll lose insurance and not be able to afford the anti-depressants; Therapy's really more important than medicine for that reason.
You could just tell your parents that you've been feeling really depressed recently and you'd like to speak to a therapist, or ask a school therapist about it if you're too nervous to tell your parents openly.

Other than that, do you have hobbies that you enjoy or friends that you have fun hanging out with?
Ceilick
The Dude

Post by Ceilick »

How supportive are your parents of you in general? How much 'freedom' do they give you? Does anyone in your family have a history depression of any sort? You don't need to answer these questions here, but they are things to think about if you are considering telling yoru parents that you cut. And like RoboBlue said, you should at least indicate that you think you may need help with your depression.

Counseling may sound like a waste of time, but if the problem is severe enough (and it sounds like it is), it will probably help. As long as you go through it with the best attitude you can muster and can at least tolerate your councilor, it'll help in some way. While in highschool and college I saw a number of councilors for issues with depression. It's not a quick fix, but it does help.
Paramultart
VBB's Partner in Crime

Post by Paramultart »

Medication does not cure depression. It only makes you numb, and actually increases suicidal tendencies.

Marijuana on the other hand, if vaporized or perhaps made into food, is the closest thing to "happy pills" you will ever get, and it's completely natural and safe with no side-effects.

However, it is a bad idea to smoke anything, because smoking anything is always bad for you.

I'm not encouraging illegal activity. Just presenting my opinion.
RoboBlue
It's that one guy.

Post by RoboBlue »

Different medications can have different effects on different people, and if an antidepressant works it won't make you want to commit suicide. The problem is, there's really no way to know what medicine will work for you before you try it out.
Rorie
Tru-Blu Aussie Born & Bred

Post by Rorie »

i normally do not disclose my private life on the internet but this discussion is an exception. i have tried to harm myself several times when not on the right dosage of zyprexa. you may think that it is an easy way out of life's issues but in fact you do not feel any better from it. there are services that can help people who are at risk of self harm. i have battled depression my whole life so i figure it is worth coming out in the hope of saving a life b4 it is too late
If you can't change the rules, challenge them, rules are made to be broken
Up yours Fleexy!
mortimer
Blistering Barnacles

Post by mortimer »

Last edited by mortimer on Sun Jul 12, 2020 20:21, edited 1 time in total.
MOM4Evr
Vortininja

Post by MOM4Evr »

Hi there.

I dunno; I've never had great faith in any kind of drug or medication. But I do know that the wrong drug can be disastrous. My cousin committed suicide just this past year because of the side effects of an antidepressant she was taking.

Sometimes, Vitamin D has a lot to do with depression. And no, I'm not saying that you should take some Vitamin D pills. What I'm saying is: get outside. If you have a bike, start biking around. If you have some friends, get together and toss a football back and forth or something. If you live near mountains, go hiking. Even if you live in a city, there should be some kind of park nearby that you can at least take a stroll in. A lot of times, some good fresh air will help clear your senses.

Of course, I'm sitting here in my room in front of my computer on a beautiful day with my blinds down, but do as I say, not as I do, right? (Actually, I'm planning on getting a bike soon, but for now I'm being a lazy bum, and I'm actually surprised that I'm not depressed myself.)
mortimer
Blistering Barnacles

Post by mortimer »

Last edited by mortimer on Sun Jul 12, 2020 20:21, edited 1 time in total.
thehackercat
Yorp Doctor

Post by thehackercat »

/
Last edited by thehackercat on Mon Jan 27, 2020 21:52, edited 1 time in total.
DHeadshot
Vorticon Elite

Post by DHeadshot »

I had no idea there were so many depressed people in our community (see also BGM for yet another). I think Paramultart is right in that drugs won't help (Pot won't either though - he's wrong about that. Its use as a "Happy Drug" just results in mood swings and can turn simple depression into full-on bipolar disorder). M4E and ara have a point in that healthy eating and exercise really have been shown to help. In all seriousness, what you need are some good friends around you and sadly internet ones are not enough.

As for the self-harm thing, your tactics required to quit it will vary depending upon your reason for doing it in the first place. There are many reasons a person may self harm (sadly including "to fit in with other emos" but presumably you aren't that foolish): To clear one's mind of bad thoughts, to punish one's self, to feel something amid the fog of one's depression, to unleash anger at one's own weaknesses; to name just the four I've most commonly heard. My advice is to identify the actual reason for your behaviour and address both the issue causing the attitude and the response itself.
Cereal Board!
Deltamatic wrote:Prepositions are things I end sentences with.
(Cereal wiki has sadly died)
Paramultart
VBB's Partner in Crime

Post by Paramultart »

MOM4Evr is completely right. Diet and exercise is the key to happiness, and nothing takes the place of good old sunshine.
Vitamin D deficiency has been linked to the S.A.D. (Seasonal Affective Disorder), so if for some reason you are stuck indoors, like perhaps in winter or on a rainy day, you should take Vitamin D supplements in pill form.

As for the drugs, Bill Maher hits the nail on the head in this rant and completely summarizes how I feel about pharmaceuticals:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rHXXTCc-IVg