Bibliopocalypse

Discuss your favorite movies, books, and music here or just lounge around and see what other people think is classy.
RoboBlue
It's that one guy.

Bibliopocalypse

Post by RoboBlue »

It seems like we've reached a point of no return for bookstores and paper books. With Kindle e-books outselling regular books on Amazon, and major bookstores' continued financial woes,it looks like books printed on paper may be nearly gone by the end of the decade. What do you guys think?

Also, this is my 666th post.
DHeadshot
Vorticon Elite

Post by DHeadshot »

Doubt it. EBooks can never replace paper for readability, just like MP3s STILL have yet to replace Vinyl for sound: anyone who wants quality goes for the traditional medium.
Cereal Board!
Deltamatic wrote:Prepositions are things I end sentences with.
(Cereal wiki has sadly died)
TerminILL
Skypest

Post by TerminILL »

pfff, quality? Vinyl can't offer anywhere near the same quality as a nice high bitrate MP3, or better yet a lossless format, but there's a distinctly different feel. The comparison to e-books is justified, though. While e-books may be technically superior, there's nothing like holding a book and turning the pages, really.
Shonikado wrote:Looking back on what we've done and wanting to change it is the first step in becoming a weakling that cannot do anything.
Paramultart
VBB's Partner in Crime

Post by Paramultart »

Such a shame. I knew this day was coming. I was hoping we'd have a few years left, though. :/

- Sad owner of a Kindle
"Father Mabeuf was surveying his plants"
Commander Spleen
Lord of the Foobs

Post by Commander Spleen »

Until epaper is truly papery, eBooks are still second best to a printed copy. Except for the price, of course.

Then again, laser printer.
Pokota
Vortininja

Post by Pokota »

Until mass-produced ebook readers are cheap enough to be cheaper than mass-produced paper books, people are still going to demand paper books.

And I don't know about you all, but I will always demand paper books.
There was something here, but my yorp ate it.
DHeadshot
Vorticon Elite

Post by DHeadshot »

EBooks are good for 2 things: out of print, out of copyright texts (see Project Guetenburg) and Piracy.
Cereal Board!
Deltamatic wrote:Prepositions are things I end sentences with.
(Cereal wiki has sadly died)
kuliwil
Blue-tongued Yorp

Post by kuliwil »

DHeadshot wrote:EBooks are good for 2 things: out of print, out of copyright texts (see Project Guetenburg) and Piracy.
Project Gutenberg is an excellent resource for Orwell books and historical Australian history :P
"Hi, I'm Tom Sellick's moustache."
Paramultart
VBB's Partner in Crime

Post by Paramultart »

DHeadshot wrote:EBooks are good for 2 things: out of print, out of copyright texts (see Project Guetenburg) and Piracy.
Don't forget about the struggling new authors. Now, anyone can publish a book with ease.

They're also good for another thing: Saving trees.

While I normally have a hard time accepting change and facing the future, I can't help but see this as a good thing.
RoboBlue
It's that one guy.

Post by RoboBlue »

But paper is a renewable resource, and plastic isn't.
*hides his VHS collection*

Also, what happens if there's a massive solar storm that wipes out large amounts of our digital infrastructure? Couldn't a whole era of media be lost?
TerminILL
Skypest

Post by TerminILL »

kuliwil wrote:historical Australian history
As opposed to all the unhistorical Australian history?
Shonikado wrote:Looking back on what we've done and wanting to change it is the first step in becoming a weakling that cannot do anything.
Paramultart
VBB's Partner in Crime

Post by Paramultart »

TerminILL wrote:
Why not? There is such thing as unhistorical American History.
They teach it in school.
kuliwil
Blue-tongued Yorp

Post by kuliwil »

TerminILL wrote:
As in the books on there are so old, the writers themselves are a part of history!

Seriously - studying Aust. History last year, the people who wrote these books came up as subjects!
"Hi, I'm Tom Sellick's moustache."
Flaose
Vorticon Elder

Post by Flaose »

RoboBlue wrote:Also, what happens if there's a massive solar storm that wipes out large amounts of our digital infrastructure? Couldn't a whole era of media be lost?
I think if that happens we'll have more things to worry about than a few lost books.
Cerebral Cortex 314 - For All of your Commander Keen Needs.
Eat at Joe's
Roobar
Vorticon Elite

Post by Roobar »

Well they might oversell regular books on amazon, but not in the regular world. However, now that Samsung is mass producing transparency displays thick as paper, I foresee that in the next 2 years companies will starting to make and sell transparency e-books and pads thin as paper. But considering the prices they still wont replace regular books for at least 5-10 years. I think the turning point will obviously be when an e-reader will cost as cheap as a harry potter book. Then you can consider the real end of regular books. Considering that iPad is used by ~0.2% of the world population, I don't see e-books replacing regular ones anytime soon.