CK Newsletter: August

This is where you can post your Commander Keen related stories, artwork, or other stuff that is related to Commander Keen but otherwise doesn't belong in another forum.
Ceilick
The Dude

CK Newsletter: August

Post by Ceilick »

Last edited by Ceilick on Tue Sep 06, 2011 2:31, edited 3 times in total.
Eros
Cybloog Slayer

Post by Eros »

awesome.
StupidBunny wrote:
kuliwil wrote:I wish that oa;fdjgnae;ogubneaogiearh;igbnerfgoajfsgoefnh
Granted. You have just had a severe stroke.
GARGapplesauce
Applesauce in Chief

Post by GARGapplesauce »

oh, yay, it's out!
Combine Garg and Apples in a bowl, simmer over medium heat for several years. Season with a pinch of regret.
Paramultart
VBB's Partner in Crime

Post by Paramultart »

Glad to see it out. Wish I could have helped more. :)
"Father Mabeuf was surveying his plants"
Grimson
The Dragoner

Post by Grimson »

Wish I could view either with my cell phone. :rolleyes
"All those thousands upon thousands of junk foods made for me on the various planets I explored make me wonder how I'm still alive."
VikingBoyBilly
Vorticon Elite
Location: The spaghetti island of the faces of dinosaur world for a vacation

Post by VikingBoyBilly »

June issue? I was under the impression that this was gonna be a July issue (and it pretty much almost is) but one day earlier is nothing to complain about. I'll get right on reading it :D
"I don't trust players. Not one bit." - Levellass
Scarlet
Vorticon Elite

Post by Scarlet »

Hm, I think it would have been better if there was more design on each page. Kinda like a header on each page, being the same... volume so and so, issue so and so... page x of y...
VikingBoyBilly
Vorticon Elite
Location: The spaghetti island of the faces of dinosaur world for a vacation

Post by VikingBoyBilly »

aww, no Aliens Ate My Babysitter Again review >:
"I don't trust players. Not one bit." - Levellass
XkyRauh
Mortimer's RightHand Man

Post by XkyRauh »

Looks very nice! I skimmed on my laptop, and will be able to go more in-depth when I'm on my desktop at home. Cheers for the hard work, guys! :)
GARGapplesauce
Applesauce in Chief

Post by GARGapplesauce »

VikingBoyBilly wrote:aww, no Aliens Ate My Babysitter Again review >:
Im workin on it, itll be ready for the next one... :p
Combine Garg and Apples in a bowl, simmer over medium heat for several years. Season with a pinch of regret.
kuliwil
Blue-tongued Yorp

Post by kuliwil »

This newsletter is absolutely delightful! An excellent and meaty read. (And I'm vego, so excellent and meaty rarely go in a sentence together! Great job!)

In answer to Gridlock's question, "In Keen 4 on easy mode, what is the maximum amount of ammo you can have after completing the level Slug Village without using cheat codes?":
The answer is 108 ammo. How?
BwB trick: +12
All ammo in the level: 24
You have four lives including the starting life. When you die, you retain your ammo. This means that the maximum amount of ammo that can be attained from the level by conveniently dying is 96.
So, 12 + 96 = 108!
"Hi, I'm Tom Sellick's moustache."
Scarlet
Vorticon Elite

Post by Scarlet »

kuliwil wrote:This newsletter is absolutely delightful! An excellent and meaty read. (And I'm vego, so excellent and meaty rarely go in a sentence together! Great job!)

In answer to Gridlock's question, "In Keen 4 on easy mode, what is the maximum amount of ammo you can have after completing the level Slug Village without using cheat codes?":
The answer is 108 ammo. How?
BwB trick: +12
All ammo in the level: 24
You have four lives including the starting life. When you die, you retain your ammo. This means that the maximum amount of ammo that can be attained from the level by conveniently dying is 96.
So, 12 + 96 = 108!
I'd say however much you can get in the game. So, 999. There are seven lives er so in that village. Just keep dying, and collecting amo.
Eros
Cybloog Slayer

Post by Eros »

if you collect the 7 1UPs, you cannot get back down, so no infinite ammo for you
StupidBunny wrote:
kuliwil wrote:I wish that oa;fdjgnae;ogubneaogiearh;igbnerfgoajfsgoefnh
Granted. You have just had a severe stroke.
Gridlock
Vorticon Elite

Post by Gridlock »

Great to see the favorable response to this :) I give Ceilick a lot of credit for finishing this up. I was gone for the week, and he ended up having to finish this edition by himself. Ceilick also did some amazing article revisions. I had originally written the modding advice section and the bosses section, but Ceilick really did some amazing edits to those.

The challenge question: When I had designed the question, I overlooked the possibility of spam-dying for more ammo. Without dying, the correct answer I believe is 132 (shoot once in the BWB, replay BWB to get the ammo, play Border Village, play Perlilous Pit, play Slug Village). However, since dying is allowed, the CORRECT answer is 999, the maximum amount of ammo you can have in the game. There are extra lives available in Perilous Pit and Slug Village that allow you to constantly die and replay the levels. Theoretically, you can keep replaying until your ammo jumps to 999. That question was more challenging than even I had thought :o Next month's question will avoid that death mistake. Congradulations to Scarlet for solving that.

It would be great to hear some more detailed feedback and discussion about some of the segments.
Last edited by Gridlock on Sat Jul 02, 2011 16:07, edited 1 time in total.
Grimson
The Dragoner

Post by Grimson »

Neat! I was finally able to skim through it, and I like it so far. I even took the liberty to design a logo for our newspaper, based on the logo of the Keen Chronicles pack that never came true:

P.S. I should've known Cactoids and Creepers are related. >:
"All those thousands upon thousands of junk foods made for me on the various planets I explored make me wonder how I'm still alive."