First look at Dirk Dashing 2: E.V.I.L. Eye!

Discuss classic and favorite computer or console games here.
GolfHacker
Vortininja

First look at Dirk Dashing 2: E.V.I.L. Eye!

Post by GolfHacker »

Hey everyone!

I haven't been around much lately. I've been hard at work on a sequel to my secret agent platformer, Dirk Dashing.

Folks here had a lot of criticism for the first game, but I took your criticism and applied it to the sequel. I've worked hard to improve the graphics, adding cell-shading to the characters, lighting effects, and shadows. I added a health system for Dirk, so it's no more instant death when he touches something harmful. I've given Dirk some new moves and new weapons, including a tranquilizer dart gun so he feels more like a spy (vs throwing stun grenades), plus an inventory system so he can carry multiple weapons and gadgets and use them whenever he wants. And I've added a lot more variety of enemies and hazards for the early levels to show off the game's features in the demo.

Here is the first teaser trailer I uploaded last night, showing a bit of footage from the game:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5vewBcenMKE

And here are a couple of screenshots:

The game will be available for pre-order next month. Details are in my July newsletter here:
http://www.mygamecompany.com/Newsletters/july11.htm

I'll let you know when the demo is available. I know you all love Keen and platformers in general, so I'll be very interested to hear what you all think of the demo when it is ready. I really want to make this game special for fans of classic platformers.
Troy Hepfner, Indie game developer
My Game Company
Creator of Dirk Dashing and Rick Rocket
Dynamo
Vorticon Elite

Post by Dynamo »

First time I hear about your projects but this looks really cool. Best of luck!
VikingBoyBilly
Vorticon Elite
Location: The spaghetti island of the faces of dinosaur world for a vacation

Post by VikingBoyBilly »

That ninja brought a sword to a gunfight :p

Does E.V.I.L. stand for something important?
"I don't trust players. Not one bit." - Levellass
GolfHacker
Vortininja

Post by GolfHacker »

Yeah, but he's a Ninja. All he needs is a sword! hehe

Actually, he also throws stars at you when you're too far away to hit with the sword, and he can duck to avoid to your gun and jump to avoid your gas grenades. So he's tough to beat, and tough to avoid too. You have to use some strategy.

E.V.I.L. is the criminal organization that Dirk battles, and stands for the Exclusive Villains Intelligence League. Their leader is a nut-job who goes by the name of Dr. Ego. He made an appearance at the end of the first game, and he'll make another appearance in this episode - but you still won't get to see his face... :)
My Game Company
Dynamo
Vorticon Elite

Post by Dynamo »

WHAT IS THE LAUNCH PRICE
GolfHacker
Vortininja

Post by GolfHacker »

CKeen wrote:WHAT IS THE LAUNCH PRICE
For the pre-order, I'll be charging the full price of $19.99. However, those who choose to pre-order will receive a free copy of the strategy guide when the game is officially released, containing level maps, hints, tricks, concept art, etc. Pre-order customers will also have access to the beta containing all of the available levels, and will receive updates as each new stage is completed. Right now, 2 of the 5 planned stages are done. So it will kinda like playing an episodic game - with each new update, more of the story will unfold - except you won't have to pay for each new "episode"/stage.

The pre-order demo will include all of Stage 1, consisting of 7 levels plus 1 secret level.
My Game Company
VikingBoyBilly
Vorticon Elite
Location: The spaghetti island of the faces of dinosaur world for a vacation

Post by VikingBoyBilly »

Hmm... this seems familiar.. Image
GolfHacker wrote:M.A.D. is the criminal organization that Gadget battles, and stands for the Malevolent Agency of Destruction. Their leader is a nut-job who goes by the name of Dr. Claw. He made an appearance at the end of the last episode, and he'll make another appearance in this episode - but you still won't get to see his face... :)
"I don't trust players. Not one bit." - Levellass
GolfHacker
Vortininja

Post by GolfHacker »

A quick update: Dirk Dashing 2 will be available for pre-order on Friday, August 26!

I will have a demo version containing the first 8 levels that you can freely download and play. Customers who choose to pre-order for $19.99 USD will be given access to the beta version of the game containing the second part of the 5-part story arc, which will provide 8 additional levels to play. As I finish each of the subsequent parts of the story, pre-ordering customers will receive an updated beta containing the new levels, new features, bug fixes, etc. This should happen every 8-10 weeks (roughly every other month) until the game is done. Once the game is completed, all pre-ordering customers will receive a free copy of the planned $5 strategy guide, containing level maps, hints, tricks, concept art, etc.

I'm excited about finally unveiling Dirk Dashing 2 and letting everyone play it. It's going to be fun!

My Game Company