New Keen4 Speedrun record!

This is where you can post your Commander Keen related stories, artwork, or other stuff that is related to Commander Keen but otherwise doesn't belong in another forum.
XkyRauh
Mortimer's RightHand Man

New Keen4 Speedrun record!

Post by XkyRauh »

http://www.justin.tv/cosmowright/b/293465238

Pretty cool recent attempt at a record, clocks in at sub 11:30! Uses a savegame glitch to pass Slug Village, but otherwise plays all levels legit--and has a few lucky breaks.

It both amused and didn't surprise me that the most dangerous enemy in the run is the Skypest.

Please be forewarned that he curses a few times, so if you have sensitive ears, you may want to mute the volume. :)
Paramultart
VBB's Partner in Crime

Post by Paramultart »

I find it hard to believe no one has beaten this time, considering how much he fumbles around.
"Father Mabeuf was surveying his plants"
kuliwil
Blue-tongued Yorp

Post by kuliwil »

Paramultart wrote:I find it hard to believe no one has beaten this time, considering how much he fumbles around.
Thems be fighting words!

Go on, try it!
"Hi, I'm Tom Sellick's moustache."
tulip
Flower Pot

Post by tulip »

"You gotta be 18 to view this" wth.

Pretty nice watch, I like how the guy gets comparatively tense the further he gets. Also that's a cool timkeeping tool he has there, I wonder how and where...
Image You crack me up little buddy!
StupidBunny
format c:

Post by StupidBunny »

Justin.tv wrote:This stream may contain content that is inappropriate for some users.
Intended for the people who may be offended by the intense violence in Commander Keen. These are also the people who remove the metal from safety scissors and protest against wildflowers for being offensive to people with pollen allergies.
Roobar
Vorticon Elite

Post by Roobar »

This video might be fake, but he got some amazing skills! I personally saw 3-4 mistakes, non of which were big though. Without these mistakes the time would probably be ~11:20. And the save and exit bug that he uses is still a cheat.
XkyRauh
Mortimer's RightHand Man

Post by XkyRauh »

Yeah--the thing is, each individual level or challenge isn't all that tricky to overcome. But when you consider that this is a single-segment speedrun, with no mid-level saves, or saves at all, it is very lucky and requires a good degree of planning.

Obviously a Tool-Assisted Speedrun (TAS) would be faster, but for an actual person playing live, this is impressive. :)

If you're looking for the tools he used, check out http://www.speedrunslive.com/tools. I think the one used in that run was WSplit.

And by all means, PLEASE challenge this speedrun! :) Record it on a stream of your own or upload to YouTube. The cool part about SpeedRunsLive is that you can challenge people to races of games live--more popular games like Super Mario 64 or Super Mario World are run multiple times daily, and the community is very welcoming to newcomers. :)
Ceilick
The Dude

Post by Ceilick »

Pretty impressive how well he knows the placement of many of the enemies and their movement tendencies based on where they start.
XkyRauh
Mortimer's RightHand Man

Post by XkyRauh »

Most of the time, when speedrunning a game, as soon as you make a mistake, you restart/reset... If you run the beginning of the game enough times, you get a pretty good idea of what's going to happen! :)

Not shown in this run were the dozens of times he mis-fired, mis-pogoed, or just plain mis-stepped and died!