Commander Keen 9.5 The Eight Accumulators...

You can discuss anything about fan-made Commander Keen games here.
Gridlock
Vorticon Elite

Post by Gridlock »

Illustration:

Just link that kind of switch (doesn't matter whether green or red) to the proper tile shown. You are using TOM, correct? If so, you may want to activate "show links mode."
Fleexy
Tool Smith

Post by Fleexy »

Be careful about which type of switch you use. One type changes infoplane values, like platform patches. The other makes changes to foreground data, like bridges. If something doesn't seem to work, 1) check that it points to the right spot and 2) that it's the right kind of switch. If you use hax like switched doors, this is especially important.
Bubbatom
Vorticon Elite

Post by Bubbatom »

Ok. Im now having a problem with my background tiles :O . The colours are all mixed up . This problem is very frustrating because last night it was fine and now its not.
Fleexy
Tool Smith

Post by Fleexy »

Animating foreground tiles cannot be placed over animating background tiles. Also, infoplane values will be ignored if they are placed on top of an animating foreground tile.
Bubbatom
Vorticon Elite

Post by Bubbatom »

I'm not sure whether this is the problem because the strange colours appear in paint while I'm editing and in the game... :dead

EDIT: all fixed just copied the backup of the file and everything's working again...
Fleexy
Tool Smith

Post by Fleexy »

Ohhh... if you used KeenGrout, be VERY careful not to get any of the orange grout color in the normal tiles. It WILL destroy the palette!
Bubbatom
Vorticon Elite

Post by Bubbatom »

Ok, I'm getting a message when I play one of my levels on hard mode:

MM_ClearBlock: No pursuable blocks!

Anyone had this problem before? And how can I fix it?
Ceilick
The Dude

Post by Ceilick »

If I remember correctly, this means you're using too many different tiles in the same level.
Bubbatom
Vorticon Elite

Post by Bubbatom »

Thanks for the tip, but why is this only happening on hard mode?

And is there anyway to fix the blue bird clipping problem?
Last edited by Bubbatom on Sat Aug 20, 2011 11:09, edited 1 time in total.
Ceilick
The Dude

Post by Ceilick »

Hmm, if that's the case then perhaps it's too many sprites. Try reducing the enemies or the points.
Bubbatom
Vorticon Elite

Post by Bubbatom »

Check the first post because 2 more levels are done!
Ceilick
The Dude

Post by Ceilick »

Looking great! Man, I'm really looking forward to this :drool That blue bird room looks insane, and great use of the demo tiles there!

Two very minor suggestions:
1. In the first cave level screen, there is a wall which is 1 tile thick. Because of the way masking works, Keen's hand pokes through the masking when jumping against it. You can actually see this demonstrated in the screenshot! I suggest making that wall two tiles thick to avoid this.

2. The pole holes should have their own unique background separate from the room's background. Generally I like to see these showing what it looks like inside the platforms, rather than what is behind the platforms.
Bubbatom
Vorticon Elite

Post by Bubbatom »

Thanks for the tips ceilick :spot
Gridlock
Vorticon Elite

Post by Gridlock »

Looking great man! Pretty much everything Ceilick said. It seems like there may be a few too many point items in certain parts, particularly things like the sodas by the red door on the 3rd picture. I often find that after I make a level I'll have to go back and remove some points. Balancing points is actually quite difficult (some of the earlier versions of Atroxian Realm levels were really bad about having too many points). My suggestion is to remove any points that don't feel necessary, minimize the amount of easy-to-get points, and get rid of any that look a bit out of place. A good rule of thumb that the original Keen 4 followed was that you could complete most levels without having to collect a single point.

This might seem a bit nitpicky, but on the 2nd cave level image, I think you need to extend the diagnol background above the switch one tile to the right. In my opinion, it looks a little weird with the top right corner of the switch right next to blue sky. I would fully cover up that switch with the brown background similar to what you did with the switch in the next picture.

Have you thoroughly tested that bluebird room to try to minimize the chances of them getting stuck? Bluebird AI is pretty terrible, and you really have to watch out for situations that lend themselves to the birds getting stuck. Those slopes, in peticular, seem like they could cause some problems with this.

In the 4th forest level image, I see that you have mimock along with a tar pit. This would allow the mimrock to jump in the tar pit. Make sure you get all the "front" tile properties right so that none of the clipping looks weird. Just a suggestion, but it would be kinda cool if the tiles below the tar were secret passage, so that when the mimrock falls down there in becomes trapped (or maybe falls to a lower area)

Once again, great job! I'm really looking forward to this.
attila8407
Meep

Re: Commander Keen 9.5 The Eight Accumulators...

Post by attila8407 »

Hi!

Of which website can I download this part of "The Eight Accumulators"?
This game is freeware or shareware?
I should download this game, because i saw on Google Image Search and has me interrested.
Thanks for your help!

Respects from Hungary! :confused