New Commander Keen

You can discuss anything about fan-made Commander Keen games here.
Ceilick
The Dude

Post by Ceilick »

I'd been hoping you would continue this at some point :) I'm interested in testing and providing feedback.
Gridlock
Vorticon Elite

Post by Gridlock »

I'd like to help out and provide some critique and ideas, but lately I've been bogged down with lots of other stuff (not to mention my own huge Keen project). Still, if I can find the time, I'll be glad to help. I really like the atmosphere and style of that old screenshot.
K1n9_Duk3
Vorticon Elite

Post by K1n9_Duk3 »

wiivn wrote:In the past few weeks I've been working on this project and now it's closer to a demo state. Unfortunately for me, non of the guys from Fan Site Celle so far showed interest in testing it.
Yeah, the forum has pretty much died out, but there is still a slight chance that someone reads your post. That's actually one of the reasons why I stopped working on the engine. However, having written most of the code for the engine, I'd love to see what others -- including you -- do with it. If you need somthing specific in the engine, I might even resume working on the code.
Hail to the K1n9, baby!
http://k1n9duk3.shikadi.net
No. 1 Machop Fan
Vortininja

Post by No. 1 Machop Fan »

Hmm, those diamonds in the ground remind me of the planet Diamondus from Jazz Jackrabbit.
I love my cute little Machop!

Come on, you know Machop is cute! I mean, how could you not love those endearing eyes? That adorable face? That loving embrace?

Just don't call it cuddly or else it will hurt you.
Gridlock
Vorticon Elite

Post by Gridlock »

K1n9_Duk3, there are still some issues with the engine that, if fixed, would really improve the game. I have encountered a few bugs that might also be helpful for you to know. Trust me, this project is well worth supporting.
GARGapplesauce
Applesauce in Chief

Post by GARGapplesauce »

I'm not exactly qualified, but I'd love trying this out, I could provide some feedback... this looks awesome!

Also, out of curiosity, are you going to change the keen sprites, or just use the galaxy ones? I'd be fine with either.
Combine Garg and Apples in a bowl, simmer over medium heat for several years. Season with a pinch of regret.
Roobar
Vorticon Elite

Post by Roobar »

GARGapplesauce wrote:Also, out of curiosity, are you going to change the keen sprites, or just use the galaxy ones? I'd be fine with either.
It really depends in which direction this project will move. Eventually they will.

I've actually got many ideas of all kind right now and I want to make lot of stuff. I haven't said that before, but I'm also working on a separate 32x32 version of this tileset for a 640x480 resolution game. The engine is easily capable of doing that, but it needs a lot of adjustments. So far it is just for testing and is yet to be seen whether this turns out to be good or not. I don't remember who, but someone was working on a high resolution Keen sprites that could fit well into this. But this is not something for the near future because it would take much longer time and therefore it's not a priority now. Well, unless more people are involved.
cooba
Grunt

Post by cooba »

No. 1 Machop Fan wrote:Hmm, those diamonds in the ground remind me of the planet Diamondus from Jazz Jackrabbit.
That's exactly where they are from!

As a quite big fan of Keen and a lifetime fan of Jazz, I'm going to say that the gems don't belong in that environment and should probably be redrawn. Church and state 8)

Good luck on the project.
Roobar
Vorticon Elite

Post by Roobar »

They will be replaced as many people complained. Many complained but nobody suggested what kind of shapes should replace them. So I've made these:

I'm also thinking of other shapes... Will post later when I come up with something more to show. And posts about being ripped from JJ2 will be deleted.
StupidBunny
format c:

Post by StupidBunny »

The shapes didn't bother me but the amount of shadow beneath them made them look a bit tacked on. These blend in a lot better (at least from what it looks.) I like the shapes too, although I think diamond-shaped gems are cool too.
tulip
Flower Pot

Post by tulip »

I would've yet to see them in use in the tileset, but isolated they're looking good
Image You crack me up little buddy!
kuliwil
Blue-tongued Yorp

Post by kuliwil »

Those new ones are neat!

Hocus Pocus-esque.
"Hi, I'm Tom Sellick's moustache."
Roobar
Vorticon Elite

Post by Roobar »

The close test is over. I haven't heard of all of the testers yet, but definitely worth the feedback!

Most of the testers liked what they saw. Non of them liked the very hard level. It turned out it has one impossible place, which I've fixed. Also, I've made it a little easy-er, but it will be still very hard. Note that the very hard levels will be optional.

Almost all of you complained about the gameplay mechanics, which at some aspects aren't the same as in the original Keen. These issues will be addressed to K1n9_Duk3. A lot of things were suggested (Gridlock send me even screenshots!), some of which will be changed and some of which are impossible to be done right now.

Ceilick was bored with what he saw...

Overall: good stuff, but many things still needs changing and fixing.

Sneak peak preview:

I've ripped these graphics from wiivn - some guy from PCKF. What an idiot :crazy

Srsly though, this jungle is what I'm working on now. It's not final though, but it's starting to look good. I have a lot of ideas for the jungle. There will be unique places. But I'm considering whether to make the tileset solid blocks more pixelated (as they're in Darmondia tileset) and try to follow the current style, or not... The difference is that the pixelated style doesn't look that good, but it's easier to make patterns.

Oh, and ehrm... the 32x32 idea. I'm dropping it off for now. It turns out the game itself needs changing, not only the graphics.
GARGapplesauce
Applesauce in Chief

Post by GARGapplesauce »

Hmm the new tileset is nice to see, it looks cool... the only thing that bugs me is the lack of outlines in the foreground/background... it makes the sprites stand out in a rather unattractive way... but as you said, its still in progress, so i assume you'll fix it (?).

As for the style- keep it consistent IMO. The first one looked keenish, keep it that way.

Keep up the awesome work!
Combine Garg and Apples in a bowl, simmer over medium heat for several years. Season with a pinch of regret.
Nospike
Keen Minecrafter

Post by Nospike »

Actually, those no-outline tiles seem pretty keenish to me, but Keen with an outline looks really weird there.