The Unofficial TUIT Revision Betas

You can discuss anything about fan-made Commander Keen games here.
Ceilick
The Dude

Post by Ceilick »

also, wouldn't the immortal killing mort sprite be changed by having the bullet spawn closer to the body? that way, if you're attacking him from the top, unless you're going the same direction his ammo is, you won't be killed by a silly death. Also, it makes people with low ammo stop complaining about how mort blocks attacks
It's hard to affect where on the X axis the sprite spawns without having it ruin the shot spawn for the opposite direction; you can line that shot up the way you want for the left shot, but it'll completely fucl up the right shot. It also just doesn't look very good.

I have altered Mort's hitbox to be a bit smaller though. Updating the beta version now as well.
jayo
Vortininja

Post by jayo »

Good to see the update! The elevator issue in the labs area still needs addressing. Think you ought to make it so your shots can block Mortimers? Or that make it too easy...?

I would still like to see the location window on the status screen display what area you're in on the world map(Frosthol, Kordacian Labs, etc) as opposed to just "Universe" everywhere.

Finally, I'd still like to see the large, scrolling "COMMANDER KEEN" letters in the opening credits recolored yellow to match those on the title screen.
Ceilick
The Dude

Post by Ceilick »

The elevator issue in the labs area still needs addressing.
I don't know how to fix it, neither does Lemm.
you ought to make it so your shots can block Mortimers? Or that make it too easy...?
Way too easy.
I would still like to see the location window on the status screen display what area you're in on the world map(Frosthol, Kordacian Labs, etc) as opposed to just "Universe" everywhere.
Can't be done due to the way the map is configured. The world map's name in the status bar is dependant on a single Y coordinate on the map, and the Keen 9 map is divided on the Y Coordinate three times and on mismatched X coordinates as well.
Finally, I'd still like to see the large, scrolling "COMMANDER KEEN" letters in the opening credits recolored yellow to match those on the title screen.
This I can do. Thanks Lemm for helping me get this working right. The link has been updated to include this.
Syllypryde
Vorticon Elite

Post by Syllypryde »

Ceilick wrote:
you ought to make it so your shots can block Mortimers? Or that make it too easy...?
Way too easy.
Besides, Mortimer's Brain blaster(?) is my powerful than Keen's neural stunner. The blaster is strong enough to destroy the warpcores but not Keen's stunner? That would not make any sense if you ask me.
.niarb ym fo
snoitulovnoc eht tuaba
selbbarcs ssensuoicsnoc
rehgih a ekil smees
szemi
Vorticon Elite

Post by szemi »

This I can do. Thanks Lemm for helping me get this working right. The link has been updated to include this.

I think you might change the scrolling big COMMANDER KEEN letters in Keen 7-8 as well. ;)
jayo
Vortininja

Post by jayo »

Ceilick wrote:
Ok, good! Now make sure to do it to Keen 7 and 8 as well.
GARGapplesauce
Applesauce in Chief

Post by GARGapplesauce »

Add this to your Keen 7 patch file:

Code: Select all

#Terminator text palette:
%patch $2F078 $00 $0A $0A $12 $01 $01 $01 $01 #Dark colors
              $11 $11 $11 $11 $13 $13 $13 $13 #Light colors

#Terminator text palette 2, screen moves out:
%patch $2F088 $00 $00 $18 $18 $07 $01 $01 $01 #Dark colors
              $01 $11 $11 $11 $11 $13 $13 $13 #Light colors
And this to your keen 8 patch file:

Code: Select all

#Terminator text palette:
%patch $30E7C $00 $01 $01 $11 $01 $01 $01 $01     #Dark colors
              $11 $11 $11 $11 $13 $13 $13 $13 $00 #Light colors (and border color)
#Terminator text palette 2, screen moves out:
%patch $30E8D $00 $6A $6A $6B $01 $01 $01 $01     #Dark colors
              $11 $11 $11 $11 $13 $13 $13 $01 $00 #Light colors (and border color)
To produce the desired effects. I couldn't find the value that changes the color of the Keen 4 text when it zooms out, it's still gray. Otherwise these should work fine. Bear in mind that the keen 8 one clashes horribly with the credits graphics.
Combine Garg and Apples in a bowl, simmer over medium heat for several years. Season with a pinch of regret.
szemi
Vorticon Elite

Post by szemi »

man, where did you find these patches?
GARGapplesauce
Applesauce in Chief

Post by GARGapplesauce »

ModdingWiki, i believe... and then I spent hours testing all the values to finding the right colors, though I'm sure there would have been an easier solution 8) I still don't know what 75% of the values do, mostly effects on the credits bitmaps i believe.

But anyway, back on topic, I don't have any issues with the fight against Mortimer in any way (to add my useless opinion). That's why there's a save feature if you really have any problems...
Combine Garg and Apples in a bowl, simmer over medium heat for several years. Season with a pinch of regret.
Scilicet
Vortininja

Post by Scilicet »

After I complete the Krodacian Overlabs and take the elevator down to the teleporter, the elevator sucks Keen back in and up, although I am not pressing the up key.
No. 1 Machop Fan
Vortininja

Post by No. 1 Machop Fan »

Scilicet wrote:After I complete the Krodacian Overlabs and take the elevator down to the teleporter, the elevator sucks Keen back in and up, although I am not pressing the up key.
That's happened to me before too. Just try again and you should be able to do it.
I love my cute little Machop!

Come on, you know Machop is cute! I mean, how could you not love those endearing eyes? That adorable face? That loving embrace?

Just don't call it cuddly or else it will hurt you.
Syllypryde
Vorticon Elite

Post by Syllypryde »

Scilicet wrote:After I complete the Krodacian Overlabs and take the elevator down to the teleporter, the elevator sucks Keen back in and up, although I am not pressing the up key.
Earlier in the thread, Ceilick said that neither Lemm or him know how to fix it, so we will just have to deal with it.
.niarb ym fo
snoitulovnoc eht tuaba
selbbarcs ssensuoicsnoc
rehgih a ekil smees
Eros
Cybloog Slayer

Post by Eros »

IIRC, it's because there's an accidental 1-way tile there, that appears to occur every other time.

while time consuming, you may just have to grin and bear it by going through the elevator once more.
StupidBunny wrote:
kuliwil wrote:I wish that oa;fdjgnae;ogubneaogiearh;igbnerfgoajfsgoefnh
Granted. You have just had a severe stroke.
Scilicet
Vortininja

Post by Scilicet »

My apologies for posting that, then. I hadn't seen it earlier in the thread realized someone had dealt with it.
Ceilick
The Dude

Post by Ceilick »

Topic name change.

I presume we've worked pretty much everything out for Keen 9 at this point. Feel free to bring up more things with it, but at present I'm going to broaden the testing to Keen 8.

Keen 8 v3 beta 1: http://dl.dropbox.com/u/3654819/Keen8%20v3%20Beta1.zip

Similar to before, I don't have a complete list of what's changed here, but off the top of my head:
-Blue lettering in the terminator intro text
-Lava falls have tile property changes for less deadliness
-Lava Lake features extra goplats
-battery area in the hydro compound is modified to prevent obtaining the battery through death
-Keen can no longer prematurely exit the boss level
-demos no longer play the boss theme

Please inform me of any bugs or any desired changes. Additionally, please reserve any comments for Keen 7.