Netkeen

You can discuss anything about fan-made Commander Keen games here.
Roobar
Vorticon Elite

Post by Roobar »

Commander Keen314 wrote:ohhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh! alright! i got the hang of this! but the file im using for netkeen is this https://pckf.rigeltechnical.com/viewtopic.php?p=43709#43709 makes it a HOLE lot more easy! :o
Unfortunately, this doesn't work on 64 bit 7...
TerminILL
Skypest

Post by TerminILL »

You're meant to run it in DOSBox. Running it outside DOSBox doesn't work on any operating system.
Shonikado wrote:Looking back on what we've done and wanting to change it is the first step in becoming a weakling that cannot do anything.
kuliwil
Blue-tongued Yorp

Post by kuliwil »

If you want something that runs outside of DOSBox, I really don't understand how YANG has been difficult for people.

YANG works beautifully for all difficulty levels.
"Hi, I'm Tom Sellick's moustache."
GARGapplesauce
Applesauce in Chief

Post by GARGapplesauce »

kuliwil wrote:If you want something that runs outside of DOSBox, I really don't understand how YANG has been difficult for people.

YANG works beautifully for all difficulty levels.
Well i just figured that if you can't... err... figure out how to set up netkeen that you probably couldn't be able to get YANG done correctly... but that's just me.
Combine Garg and Apples in a bowl, simmer over medium heat for several years. Season with a pinch of regret.
DHeadshot
Vorticon Elite

Post by DHeadshot »

TerminILL wrote:You're meant to run it in DOSBox. Running it outside DOSBox doesn't work on any operating system.
Technically it will work outside DosBox if your system is set up to be identical to what DosBox is emulating (IPX network, specific graphics card, etc...).
Cereal Board!
Deltamatic wrote:Prepositions are things I end sentences with.
(Cereal wiki has sadly died)
kuliwil
Blue-tongued Yorp

Post by kuliwil »

DHeadshot wrote:
TerminILL wrote:You're meant to run it in DOSBox. Running it outside DOSBox doesn't work on any operating system.
Technically it will work outside DosBox if your system is set up to be identical to what DosBox is emulating (IPX network, specific graphics card, etc...).
Aaaand 16/32-bit.
TerminILL
Skypest

Post by TerminILL »

DHeadshot: If you're referring to nklaunch, which was the program in question, then it wouldn't work as intended even on original hardware: it calls internal DOSBox commands. NetKeen could conceivably be run on original hardware, yes. You wouldn't need identical-to-DOSBox hardware, though - just similar.

Also, I feel that YANG unnecessarily complicates setup, although I can see that once it is setup it would minimise effort in getting matches going.
Shonikado wrote:Looking back on what we've done and wanting to change it is the first step in becoming a weakling that cannot do anything.
kuliwil
Blue-tongued Yorp

Post by kuliwil »

TerminILL wrote:although I can see that once it is setup it would minimise effort in getting matches going.
THIS.

I've got NETKeen set up on soooo many different people's computers using YANG and can play with them despite them not really knowing how to work DOS or DOSBox. Or even what the difference is.

Kinda like the back-end of a website: once you've got cpanel set up and your database working you're right to let your workforce use it. :)
GARGapplesauce
Applesauce in Chief

Post by GARGapplesauce »

Right, and again, as I said in the video, It is helpful, I just don't want it to confuse those who may already have been confused. It's different if you set it up for them, but as I don't have that luxury, I'm not going to press my luck.
Combine Garg and Apples in a bowl, simmer over medium heat for several years. Season with a pinch of regret.