Commander Keen GBC?

You can discuss anything about fan-made Commander Keen games here.
KeenRush
Android Dummy

Post by KeenRush »

Well, that's part of the problem -- it claims to be Keen and yet it isn't Keenish at all! Not to mention the way it mixes all the enemies and places them into wrong worlds and so on. :bloody Perhaps it'd work as another game, but not as Keen, and I can't like it even if I imagined it as something else. :dopekeen
My newest mod - Commander Keen: Sunset: viewtopic.php?t=8568 | codename H.Y.E.N.A.
jonnyspeight
Vorticon Elite

Post by jonnyspeight »

they even got the wrong shirt color on the box cover :O
VikingBoyBilly
Vorticon Elite
Location: The spaghetti island of the faces of dinosaur world for a vacation

Post by VikingBoyBilly »

memsys wrote:i own keen gbc it is BAD it's like giving duke a toy gun to go and kill pink fluffy rabits
Didn't Duke kill energizer bunnies in the first game?
Lava89
Vorticon Elite

Post by Lava89 »

I don't know if this has been posted before, but while we're on the discussion of Keen GBC, I stumbled upon this interesting site from someone who worked on Keen GBC:

http://www.vertwelder.co.uk/gbc.htm
jonnyspeight
Vorticon Elite

Post by jonnyspeight »

that is interesting
Commander Spleen
Lord of the Foobs

Post by Commander Spleen »

Aye, certainly one must respect the artist. Too bad the storyline wasn't given as much imagination.
jonnyspeight
Vorticon Elite

Post by jonnyspeight »

yeah i watched a video on youtube, and it just lookx like keen but isnt, terrible
KeenRush
Android Dummy

Post by KeenRush »

Thanks for the link, never seen that one before. I now appreciate its art in a different way -- those enemies actualy animate pretty smoothly and it seems their 'one-coloured' appearance is due the limits of the console.
My newest mod - Commander Keen: Sunset: viewtopic.php?t=8568 | codename H.Y.E.N.A.
Genius314
Vorticon Elite

Post by Genius314 »

What annoyed me about Keen GBC wasn't exactly the enemies or the story. It was the horrible level design.
Every level was only left and right movement, barely ever moving up and down. There was no large structures of walls to hide secrets, and IIRC there wasn't even any platform that was solid on the bottom (i.e. you could jump up through every one.) There weren't even any tunnels or anything. It was pretty boring.
jonnyspeight
Vorticon Elite

Post by jonnyspeight »

[quote="Genius314"]What annoyed me about Keen GBC wasn't exactly the enemies or the story. It was the horrible level design.
Every level was only left and right movement, barely ever moving up and down. There was no large structures of walls to hide secrets, and IIRC there wasn't even any platform that was solid on the bottom (i.e. you could jump up through every one.) There weren't even any tunnels or anything. It was pretty boring.[/quote]

yeah i noticed that on he video...*wretches*
Rorie
Tru-Blu Aussie Born & Bred

Post by Rorie »

i brought it a while ago for A$60. it was the worst 60 bucks i had ever spent. i then lost interest in my gbc so i gave it & all my other games to my sister
If you can't change the rules, challenge them, rules are made to be broken
Up yours Fleexy!
tulip
Flower Pot

Post by tulip »

I think it's quite reassuring that the Keen GBC thread is in "Unofficial Games"

But then I looked back at the beginning of this thread, and now I know why.
To everyones horror I've been planning to use some graphics of Keen GBC in my future mods. I had a closer look at the background tiles and the map tiles, and I think some of them could be put to a good use. But I certainly will not be doing a Mod that consists only of these tiles...

I think the worst about keen gbc was the clumsy movement of keen, i couldn't even handle the pogo. And what is it with jumping on shot monsters to kill them? Did any of those who made that game ever play the original Keen?
Image You crack me up little buddy!
KeenRush
Android Dummy

Post by KeenRush »

tulip wrote:Did any of those who made that game ever play the original Keen?
If I remember reading correct some of them even said they made it quite true to the originals... :D :dead2
ckguy
Bipship Engineer

Post by ckguy »

I remember reading some short blurby review of Keen GBC when it came out (I believe it was in Boys' Life :D) that had pretty much only negative things to say about it (which saddened me at the time - now I know better). Anyway, what was inexcusable was the final sentence, which I'll remember forever - it was that Commander Keen "should have died on the desktop." WHAT?!?!?!?! :O Should have died on the desktop?!?!?!?! Better than being killed on the console, I suppose. Better than being raped by David Palmer or whoever the hell he was. Blauaghughuhaughuha rant rant rant.

Anyway. Commander Keen on GameBoy Color. I looked up 'non-canon travesty' in the dictionary, and guess what the picture next to it was.
Djaser
Holy Monk Yorp

Post by Djaser »

More mass hysteria about Keen GBC.
Give it a rest.
You guys bitching contributes to the fact that there never will be a new Keen game made by Tom Hall or not.
Aaaah, not the bees!