Keen projects in the works?

You can discuss anything about fan-made Commander Keen games here.
StupidBunny
format c:

Keen projects in the works?

Post by StupidBunny »

I'm curious to know if anybody in the community has anything in the making that isn't a surprise or whatever? I know there are some levelpacks in progress out there but I think it'd be nice to have a neat list of things here. :)

I have two things currently going...one is a one-level Keen 3 mod that has been in progress since way too long ago, the other is a Keen 3 graphics skin that may or may not become a mod actually dates back further. I also have two Comrade Keen remakes, both of which are more or less dormant...one is of Keen 2 and one of Keen 4, and I need to decide at some point which one is going to go ahead and which will be released here as an unfinished project/resource free-for-all.
Ceilick
The Dude

Post by Ceilick »

I have a number of personal projects and am involved in varying degrees with at least five projects by others, including:

Gridlock's "Atroxian Realm": Enemy design.

ckGeoff's "The Mystery of Isis II": My roll was kept secret, but since the project itself isn't secret, I hope ckGeoff doesn't mind me mentioning it. I revised the original story and contributed and revised levels.

Levellass' "Valentines Keen": I wrote the story, designed some enemies, made some tiles, made some levels.

The other two projects have secret status, as far as I know.

Edit: Para's announced it so I'll list it:

Keen: Crisis Earth. This is a Bio Menace mod and probably the project I'm most excited about, possibly due to it's sheer difference from typical Keen gameplay. Between Paramultart, NY00123, and myself, a lot of work has been done and really the only thing holding this project back is a level editor which Mink has/had been working on but with little progress due to complications with the differences between Bio Menace and Keen level formats. If this one is ever completed it's gonna be damn cool.

My personal project include:

The unofficial TUIT trilogy revision. Pretty self explanatory what this is.

Commander Keen in "Sign of the Vool". A stand-alone Keen 4 mod. An alien race known as the Vool threaten the cohesion of space-time.

Princess Lindsey in "The Lamp in the Ice". A stand-alone Keen 4 mod. This 'mod' is similar to Mr. M's "Foray in the Forest" and Bubbatom's "The Nine Accumulators" in that it primarily uses Keen 4 graphics in addition to new content. You play as Princess Lindsey, if that wasn't obvious, in a quest into the Mistlands, the frozen territory north of the Shadowlands.

Commander Keen in "Pirates of Vortuga". A Keen 3 pirate themed mod. This began as a project with Keenrush and was abandoned 4 or 5 years ago, but this last year I've picked it up and begun polishing the material into something useable. Commander Keen must command his pirate vessel across the seas of Vorticon III, battle Vorticon Pirates, storm desert islands and enemy ships, raid Ninja fortresses and Vorti-Wizard towers in a planet wide treasure hunt.

Netkeen: Invasion of the Vorticons. A Netkeen mod using special Keen 1-3 tiles designed with the tilted perspective. Lots of tiles done, still a lot remain to be drawn--mostly just tedious platform design.

Shadow Keen Revised. A revision of Levellord's "Shadow Keen" series making it both more playable and give the plot a clearer direction. Last I recall I only got about halfway through episode 1, aside from making general series-wide notes.

Can't honestly say if any of these will see the light of day. I'm not and haven't felt particularly motivated to work on any of them. I'm willing to give some of these away if anyone wants to adopt them.
Last edited by Ceilick on Tue Dec 13, 2011 11:18, edited 1 time in total.
Blue
The Big Foot

Post by Blue »

ive been remaking my keen game that wsa originally released in 1999 (i think) and again in 2003. However, life's always been getting in the way of it's completion.

perhaps in another year there will be a post explaining it haha.
Commander Spleen
Lord of the Foobs

Post by Commander Spleen »

Monky Business: An Essence of Mayhem leveling inches along day by day. Think I might be almost half way (out of 30 levels). Lots of half-finished, and a handful of almost finished levels, and a decreasing quantity that I haven't started. Most of the progress has been made this year alone, following heavy and decisive concept work.

Multiplayer Vortlev is still on the cards, but I'm collaborating with a Qt coder on a related experiment that should lead up to a base program I can adapt in order to avoid all the terrible GUI coding that's held back previous versions from reaching a truly usable state.

Retrosis is on hold in favour of Monky Business development, but I might start getting this one moving again in the near future.
Gridlock
Vorticon Elite

Post by Gridlock »

Well obviously Atroxian Realm is my main project at the moment. I can't really afford to focus on anything else until I get that massive project done.

However, I do have some other things going, though I don't know how many will actually get finished:

1. Keen 4 community levelpack- Remember this? This thing kind of got buried because the Keen 8 pack never got released. I did do quite a bit of world map design and would be willing to finish it if people want to contribute.

2. Keen 5 level- I made a quick Keen 5 level one time in case we ever decide to do a Keen 5 community levelpack.

3. Adventures in the BWB Megarocket- I spent quite a lot of time working on this project for GARGapplesauce, but we both agreed to set this aside. It would be pretty cool to see this completed someday.

And that's about it for any serious projects I have going. I have no plan to finish any of my abandoned mods.
lemm
Blorb

Post by lemm »

I have a couple keen 5 levels as well that I could submit for a level pack.

Other than that, I'm helping Gridlock with patches, and contributing bits and pieces here and there.
szemi
Vorticon Elite

Post by szemi »

My upcomings are:

The Grand Intelligence 2: The world is in trouble
The Grand Intelligence 3: Moment of the Justice
The Grand Intelligence 4: (no title yet) with Levellass
Pac Keen - probably Keen 1 mod
Paramultart
VBB's Partner in Crime

Post by Paramultart »

WHOOOOOO SPOILER TIME WHOOOHOOOOOOOOO!

BRIGHT COLORFUL TEXT!

Keen: Crisis Earth, also known as "Secret Bio-Menace Mod", has been in the works since March of this year, with myself, Ceilick, and ny00123 doing the majority of the workload, and a few other people making various contributions. (Such as Mink modifying TOM to work with BM, and _mr_m_ doing most of the soundtrack) As the working title implies, it is a Keen mod based on the Bio-Menace engine, and the first mod to do so. I don't want to spoil much of the storyline, but it features an adult version of Commander Keen and is a very rugged, action packed game.

BRIGHT COLORFUL TEXT!

Return To Shmaynoria (Or Shmaynoria 2) is in the works, thanks to a tremendous amount of help from VikingBoyBilly.
We have been working steadily on it for the past several days, and things are looking promising. A 2011 release is possible, but unlikely.
It is based on the Keen 4 engine, and includes quite a few surprises. One of those surprises being that I just announced its existence in this thread. OR IS THIS ANOTHER TROLL? Guess we'll find out!

BRIGHT COLORFUL TEXT!

Sudden Dusk is a surreal Keen 1 side-project that I worked on for a bit back in July. Lemm did some awesome patch work for it, for which I am obligated to finish the project so that his work was not in vain.

BRIGHT COLORFUL TEXT!

NSFW (Or P*nis Mod) is a Keen 1 mod and is 90% done, with level contributions from Tulip, Lemm, VikingBoyBilly, and maybe Spleen. (I can't remember if he did one or not) However, its release is forbidden on these forums, so I'll have to find other clever ways to distribute the wiener among Keeners.

Here are some early impressions of the game:
"This is the best testicular torsion animation I have ever seen" - Mink
"I have no interest in playing as a penis. I don't care HOW well animated it is!" - Ceilick
"THAT'S DISGUSTING! You can't release that, what if kids jerk off to it or something?" - My wife

BRIGHT COLORFUL TEXT!

"Where Is Everybody?" has been discussed with LevelLass, who took the project on from me after I cancelled it last year, and now it is agreed that I will help finish it, and as far as I know is still planned to be released one day... probably after everything else in the way gets finished.

BRIGHT COLORFUL TEXT!

BLEEN 3! Who knows when this will get finished. I don't think it was a secret, it just never got announced. Tulip, VBB and myself worked on this for like... 5 seconds... I would like to see it finished one day, though!

BRIGHT COLORFUL TEXT!

Aside from those, I've agreed to help out on various projects (three that I can think of), which I don't think I'm allowed to reveal my involvement in at this point, nor am I sure if I'll even be credited. Regardless, modding is fun!
"Father Mabeuf was surveying his plants"
T-Squared
Vortininja

Post by T-Squared »

Paramultart wrote: I don't want to spoil much of the storyline, but it features an adult version of Commander Keen and is a very rugged, action packed game.
How dare you! Everyone knows that the Doom Marine is Commander Keen all grown up, just like his grandfather! ;)
Cosmo II: HUMANIZED!!! Progress:
Graphics: 15% Complete
Story: 100% Complete
Music: 5% Complete
Programming Modifications: 5% Complete (FINALLY! SOME PROGRESS!)

http://www.tsqproductions.com
MrBlack
Vortininja

Post by MrBlack »

Almost finished my Keen4 level pack. Thread should on front page :)

Levelpacks by me
Keen 3
Keen 4
Paramultart
VBB's Partner in Crime

Post by Paramultart »

T-Squared wrote:
Paramultart wrote: I don't want to spoil much of the storyline, but it features an adult version of Commander Keen and is a very rugged, action packed game.
How dare you! Everyone knows that the Doom Marine is Commander Keen all grown up, just like his grandfather! ;)
LIES! Everyone knows that Doom guy is actually Keen's nephew or son.
"Father Mabeuf was surveying his plants"
VikingBoyBilly
Vorticon Elite
Location: The spaghetti island of the faces of dinosaur world for a vacation

Post by VikingBoyBilly »

Atroxian Realm: I tried making a few contributions to gridlock, but he hated everything I did. Then I said I still wanted to do stuff and ended up not doing anything. Maybe I'll get motivated to help again?

The Marta Trilogy: The three mod followup to Marta's Moon Adventure. I haven't done anything with this beyond what was done in the improv mod pack.

Shmaynoria 2: I'm working intensely on this with Paramultart right now.

Bleen 3: Read Paramultart's post.

Mrs. Bananasauros: The spinoff sequel to Bananasauros. It involves Mrs. Bananasauros rescuing Bananasauros and Bananasauros Jr. from the Pithecines who captured them. This will be an expansion of Bananasauros with a lot more content packed in, with multiple patches allowing for multiple sets of enemies, squirting bananamilk with infinite ammo, more than 32 levels, and maybe ship part powerups? What has been done so far is rotating patches for a day/night system and a sprite for Mrs. Bananasauros.

Keen Valentine's Mod: The details of this mod are kept top secret, so I'll just say I've been recruited to make maps.

BioMenace Mod: Who knows when this will get done. I haven't even contributed anything.

A Sandwich The Size of The Sun: Yeah, I had the same idea GargApplesauce had :P I've done nothing for this. I want it to be a keen 4 mod about the Chungellans cooking the biggest sandwich in the galaxy over Earth's sun, causing an eclipse that makes Earth's climate freezing and unable to support life. Commander Keen will travel all over the sandwich, detonating 8 bombs to make it explode into millions of tiny mayonaisse-covered pieces. Maybe it could be a Second Biggest Sandwich I Ever Saw sequel?

Netkeen Co-op Mod: A netkeen scenario in the works led by Mink that is a 2-player networking co-operative adventure. It will be revolutionary when it's finished, for sure.

Bananasauros Jr.: The third installment to the Bananasauros series. When netkeen co-op is released, I can begin working on this adventure starring B.J. (and possibly his friends). The planned plot is that the Monkey King captured B.J.'s parents and he must step up to battle his Pithecine armies. Years have passed by, so B.J. is a bit older in this mod. 3 episodes with end bosses are planned and multiplayer features are in consideration. In any case, it will use keen galaxy-styled graphics. It will be the most ambitious Bananasauros ever! :dopefish
"I don't trust players. Not one bit." - Levellass
DHeadshot
Vorticon Elite

Post by DHeadshot »

Paramultart wrote:
T-Squared wrote:
LIES! Everyone knows that Doom guy is actually Keen's nephew or son.
I submitted this to a Cracked Photoshop contest (it was still called that back then) last summer. Since it was before their article on Keen no-one understood it:

Also:
Paramultart wrote:BRIGHT COLORFUL TEXT!

Return To Shmaynoria (Or Shmaynoria 2) is in the works, thanks to a tremendous amount of help from VikingBoyBilly.
We have been working steadily on it for the past several days, and things are looking promising. A 2011 release is possible, but unlikely.
It is based on the Keen 4 engine, and includes quite a few surprises. One of those surprises being that I just announced its existence in this thread. OR IS THIS ANOTHER TROLL? Guess we'll find out!
W00t!!! Finally! :D :D :D
Cereal Board!
Deltamatic wrote:Prepositions are things I end sentences with.
(Cereal wiki has sadly died)
GARGapplesauce
Applesauce in Chief

Post by GARGapplesauce »

If anyone cares, SBSIES is still in the works.

As for the BWB mod, like Gridlock said we've set it aside, though I hope that we can start working on it again once Atroxian Realm and SBSIES are done.

VBB: Haha you should have said something, if you had been involved with this from the start we could probably have had a mod done by now. Perhaps a sandwich sequel then :lol
Combine Garg and Apples in a bowl, simmer over medium heat for several years. Season with a pinch of regret.
tulip
Flower Pot

Post by tulip »

Since we've all seen so many spoilers, I thought what the hell:

1. Bleen 3: Yes, as Para said, Keen 4, and it's gonna be sexy.

2. Isis II: I actually still need to do some stuff I've been pushing along for way too long. I was designing some tile stuff.

3. Netkeen Vorticons: I've been asked to help with leveldesign and stuff, but not much has been done so far. We'll see how it progresses further.

4. Silcar 5: The Silcar finale, is like 1/8th in the works. Keen 5 mod, but will be vorticons perspective. some cool monsters are there already.

5. VOX revision: since Grelphy left off with 3 almost finished mods, these need to be bugfixed and stuff. And as I'm learning C programming expect a little surprise there.

6. Atlantis Keen: Not much has been done there yet, except gathering of some resources. Will be a continuation of the oldest thread on K:M. A vorticons mod with underwater and normal areas so you might have guessed it: different kinds of gravity
Image You crack me up little buddy!