Keen 8 & 9 for Windows 7?

You can discuss anything about fan-made Commander Keen games here.
Mink
Vortininja'd

Post by Mink »

Awesome! When you're done with those you should definitely check out some of my favorite mods:
Rucka
Grunt

Post by Rucka »

Thanks Mink! I downloaded all of those mods. But like before, I can't figure out how to get the games started. The only time I've been able to get a game started was with the files Flaose sent, where I think a step of the process was done for me. I would still really like to figure out how to play all these games. Unfortunately the Dos tutorial confuses me and when I attempt to follow it, it never seems to work.
Flaose
Vorticon Elder

Post by Flaose »

I'm glad that I could help! :D
Cerebral Cortex 314 - For All of your Commander Keen Needs.
Eat at Joe's
Paramultart
VBB's Partner in Crime

Post by Paramultart »

@Rucka
If you still need help and cannot figure it out, I would be more than happy to walk you through the process of setting up DosBox. Just drop me a PM.

That's a great list that Mink made, but unfortunately he's too modest to include his own masterpiece on it.
Be sure you check out Mink's Puzzle Pack:
http://www.shikadi.net/keenwiki/Mink%27s_Puzzle_Pack

You won't regret it. :)

Bananasaurus is another one of my personal favorites, and is great if you're looking for a gimmick-free classic Keen experience with a complete visual makeover:
http://www.shikadi.net/keenwiki/Bananasauros
"Father Mabeuf was surveying his plants"
DHeadshot
Vorticon Elite

Post by DHeadshot »

And of course Paramultart's being too modest to include the greatest Keen mod so far, Shmaynoria (link seems to have been removed from KeenWiki, so you'll have to scout through the boards to find it :( ).
Cereal Board!
Deltamatic wrote:Prepositions are things I end sentences with.
(Cereal wiki has sadly died)
Flaose
Vorticon Elder

Post by Flaose »

Shmaynoria is definitely still on the wiki! The download link is here: http://www.paramultart.comyr.com/trasha ... HMAYv1.zip
Cerebral Cortex 314 - For All of your Commander Keen Needs.
Eat at Joe's
Rucka
Grunt

Post by Rucka »

So basically, there's this ocean of Keen games created by the fans? Incredible.

I really appreciate everyone helping me walk through this. Paramultart, I will PM you and see if I can learn to unlock all the official Keen games, as well as the vast number of mod games.
VikingBoyBilly
Vorticon Elite
Location: The spaghetti island of the faces of dinosaur world for a vacation

Post by VikingBoyBilly »

Clouds Unseen.

edit: The link for the bananasauros download is broken, and I'm too lazy toal edit the wiki! Actually, the real reason is I know someone made an alphabetical archive of every keen mod ever released SOMEWHERE, and still adds to it when new releases come, I just can't find it.

For now this link for bananasauros works.

I'm waiting for someone to come and post a link to the site I'm talking about, and I highly suggest all mod links on the keenwiki should use it.
Last edited by VikingBoyBilly on Tue Jan 31, 2012 19:29, edited 1 time in total.
"I don't trust players. Not one bit." - Levellass
Rucka
Grunt

Post by Rucka »

Thanks VikingBoyBilly, I'm downloading that, along with all the recommended mods.
Paramultart
VBB's Partner in Crime

Post by Paramultart »

Rucka wrote:Paramultart, I will PM you and see if I can learn to unlock all the official Keen games, as well as the vast number of mod games.
Replied. :)
VikingBoyBilly wrote:Clouds Unseen.
Ah, I can't believe I forgot that one. Truly one of the best.
*Tips hat to StupidBunny*

Another one of my favorite mods has not even been released yet, due to falling under poor management. The premise of it is that you slide around on banana peels and dodge obstacles. Crazy patching and gameplay, and some of the most intricate level design I've ever seen. Hope to see that one finished.
"Father Mabeuf was surveying his plants"
Rucka
Grunt

Post by Rucka »

I finally got the games working! This is exciting.
There's a Facebook page called "Run Commander Keen on DOSBox" that finally dumbed it down enough for me.
That, paired with the tips I got here, gave me access to the mod games.
Looking forward to an endless stream of Keen fun.

Thanks again for everyone's help, and especially the mods for these creations!
DoomJedi
Vorticon Elite

Post by DoomJedi »

I use (on my Windows 7, but not only) DosBox build with a menu, with "browse" and everything...much easiler. Try this and you'll never go back to basic DosBox.

http://ykhwong.x-y.net/

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/3751922/dosbox.zip

Menu --> Quick launch

Alt+enter for fullscreen

Here you go :)
Last edited by DoomJedi on Thu Feb 02, 2012 13:55, edited 1 time in total.
RoboBlue
It's that one guy.

Post by RoboBlue »

You should also pick up the classic Commander Keen 2000 and some other files you need to get it running.
That one works on windows, so don't worry about dosbox; just put the two files in the same folder as Commander Keen 2000 and run the exe file.
Rucka
Grunt

Post by Rucka »

DoomJedi, I just downloaded what you suggested, and I'm already confused. I just figured out Dosbox, I think I'll stick with that for now :crazy Thanks for the tip, though!

RoboBlue, I remember hearing about CK2K years ago, around the turn of the millennium. I never got around to finding it, though. I just downloaded the files you provided, and it doesn't seem to work. I found another thread on this forum, where someone said the game won't work on Windows 7 for them, either. It seems to me that the only solution is to download a Windows 3.1 (or other old Windows) type of emulator... I'm out of my element with this language. I think I'll just stick to the newer mods for now, and wait for someone to make a more Windows 7-friendly version of the game.
Rucka
Grunt

Post by Rucka »

I just began playing Shmaynoria. Any way to mute the music? There's only the "sound" option, but the music seems mandatory. It's great music but I am listening to a podcast... Anyone have any idea? It seems to be based off the Keen 1 model.