Commander Keen Doom modification

You can discuss anything about fan-made Commander Keen games here.
StupidBunny
format c:

Commander Keen Doom modification

Post by StupidBunny »

I have decided that I will probably never finish my intended Commander Keen-themed modification of Doom. :( I spent a lot of time on textures, flats, and sprites but I still am not anywhere close to being done, and I'm starting to suspect that the project was too ambitious for me. (I don't have enough time to do 32 worthwhile maps and a total replacement of all the graphics and characters in Doom.) So I will release all that I have done as soon as I'm home (I am in the Johannesburg airport right now) for anybody who might theoretically be interested.

And I'll also try out Apocalypse Gohan's project at some point, as it sounds very promising. :)
memsys
Vortininja

Post by memsys »

can you upload the texture's ?
so that all your hard work wont go to waste
and that if other people want to make a 3d keen that they can use those textures
(i used to be ME!)
KeenRush
Android Dummy

Post by KeenRush »

Hm, garg. :garg Better would be if you'd make some use for what you've done, perhaps a few playable levels, instead of just releasing a bunch of files which many likely won't bother checking.
My newest mod - Commander Keen: Sunset: viewtopic.php?t=8568 | codename H.Y.E.N.A.
StupidBunny
format c:

Post by StupidBunny »

I currently have one playable level, which is not the best Doom level I've made but (I think) works well with the textures I've done. I will upload the files soon, once I'm not so jetlagged or something. :crazy
StupidBunny
format c:

Post by StupidBunny »

Yay, double post! :P Anyway, here are all the texures, flats, and sprites associated with the project, as well as the WAD file and DEH file which you run with it. There is only one level, and it is a short one...unfortunately, I do not have the time to do any more little levels, since making levels for Doom is a time-consuming process and I don't really have any good ideas for Keen-themed levels anyway.

As you will see, some of the stuff is fairly well-made, and some isn't so much. Perhaps one day I (or someone else) will use some of them.

Commander Keen Doom thing
Dynamo
Vorticon Elite

Post by Dynamo »

It's not bad but you're using vanilla doom resources. a commander keen tc for doom is something extremely hard to make, but if you want to do so, you need to use Zdoom and the likes. There are some nice textures and sprites though, might be a base for someone else if you don't want to handle this project anymore. Even if I hope you'll resurrect it one day.
VikingBoyBilly
Vorticon Elite
Location: The spaghetti island of the faces of dinosaur world for a vacation

Post by VikingBoyBilly »

I'm extremely interested in those files as I am also making a Doom mod starring Keen :)
"I don't trust players. Not one bit." - Levellass
StupidBunny
format c:

Post by StupidBunny »

Go nuts. :) Just as long as you use the proper crediting and all that, you can use any of these.

@CKeen666: I might end up resurrecting this project one of these days, and if I do I'll probably remake it with ZDoom resources. Unfortunately, as it is I simply have no time to do something of this magnitude, especially if it ends up being 32 levels like I originally planned.
Dynamo
Vorticon Elite

Post by Dynamo »

StupidBunny wrote:@CKeen666: I might end up resurrecting this project one of these days, and if I do I'll probably remake it with ZDoom resources. Unfortunately, as it is I simply have no time to do something of this magnitude, especially if it ends up being 32 levels like I originally planned.
Well 32 levels are indeed too many. Considering that a commander keen episode doesn't have so many levels, you should make less. Oh, and levels in 3d style or in this style?

http://i42.tinypic.com/e6zu9u.jpg

I can give you this wad, it's still a beta but if you want you can base your work on it. But I guess at that point someone could rather make a keen mod... So I think 3d is the best choiche.
StupidBunny
format c:

Post by StupidBunny »

Whoa! :eek That looks amazing! I'd love to play a beta of that.
Dynamo
Vorticon Elite

Post by Dynamo »

StupidBunny wrote:Whoa! :eek That looks amazing! I'd love to play a beta of that.
http://www.speedyshare.com/770867783.html

Don't expect anything groundbreaking, I wanted to emulate some doom2d fangame I played some time ago with zdoom effects. No new textures at the moment. There is also one garg test map that I made to test if the script was working correctly. You need to set the rotation from the configure controls.

I've made much better wads, like viewtopic.php?t=672