EZPATCH Consumer Preview

Here is where to post about the latest Commander Keen fangame or modification you've finished, a new website you've made, or another Keen-related creation.
Fleexy
Tool Smith

EZPATCH Consumer Preview

Post by Fleexy »

Hi everyone,

The major problem referenced in the EZPATCH Developer Preview thread has been solved (class instances are apparently references, not values). EZPATCH would be ready for deployment now if I had amassed a large Patch DataBase (PDB).

EZPATCH allows for super-easy creation of a patch file, drawing its data from three source files (PDB, PBR - Patch Binary Reference, and PBF - Patch Binary File) and spewing out an EZPATCH project file. When you have finished creating your patch file, EZPATCH will spew the CKPATCH-formatted patch file, batch file, and necessary binaries into the mod folder.

The download contains the current (unfinished) resources, a help file, and of course, the engine. After I finish the first PDB, I'll start a PDB Archives thread on K:M and possibly a subforum over there. If people really get on this, we could have monthly PDB updates and a list of patches wanted for the next monthly supplement. So, without further ado, the EZPATCH Consumer Preview!

Download (295 KB)

Please post your experiences, any bugs, possible additions to the engine, and possibly the names of some people who could help assemble this PDB.

EZPATCH is a Win32 program targeting .NET 3.5. If anyone knows of an MSIL compiler for another OS/platform, do tell. I'll have a version for it faster than you can create an EZP file. :)
Paramultart
VBB's Partner in Crime

Post by Paramultart »

Can't wait to see that patch database implemented!
Once finished, someone should make a bundled resource kit for modding, which has everything you need to make a complete Keen game.
"Father Mabeuf was surveying his plants"
Fleexy
Tool Smith

Post by Fleexy »

Looks like nobody's actually tried anything with it... :P

Or they would have noticed that it crashed upon saving an edited patch entry. I had used a write-once list during my attempts to fix the insane problem and never put it back to the normal array type. It's now at the same link.

Paramultart, when your ban expires, please tell me more about this all-tools-in-one idea. Would it just be a ZIP file of a bunch of useful tools (kinda like that GALAXYMK.ZIP thing) or a superapplication that has every aspect of the modding process in it. This would include a tile creator, level designer, patch settings, and a lot more stuff. Having it all in one application could allow for awesome stuff like layers, converted to normal K:V tiles upon compile. Cool idea, I must think more about this. Maybe a "Keen Community Code Project"?