Martinez McMeyer 4: Intelligent Intellect

You can discuss anything about fan-made Commander Keen games here.

How should Martinez's football helmet look like?

Dark grey helmet with green-white stripe + green MM (aka episode 1-3 style)
29%
Black helmet with green MM (aka episode 4-6 style)
71%

Total votes: 17

szemi
Vorticon Elite

Martinez McMeyer 4: Intelligent Intellect

Post by szemi »

Hello. I(we) have been working on this mod with Levellass.

THE GRAND INTELLIGENCE in "Mirror Menace"
Episode IV: Deja View

Short preview:
The Ikadish tells Martinez that 8 shakehunds have been imprisoned on planet Kryptos by Oppressor Keen. That's why Martinez McMeyer must fly to Kryptos to save them.

Progress:
Items - 100%
Enemies - 6-7 enemies are under progress(Princess Lucy will also be enemy here)
Story - in progress
Level names - 100%
Tiles, platforms: under progress
Titlescreen: not yet
Music: not yet
Last edited by szemi on Mon Feb 04, 2013 18:30, edited 3 times in total.
tulip
Flower Pot

Post by tulip »

oh a mod about a cananadian tv station, that's new. 8)

Also on a more serious matter: How come this is episode 4 of the grand intelligence? There was only one grand intelligence mod so far (Cybernetic Dream). I'm guessing you're modding Keen 4, but you don't have to label it part 4 unless you're planning another part 2 and 3 between them. I know there's your part 2 idea with the sun, but was there a part 3 story too already?
Image You crack me up little buddy!
Fleexy
Tool Smith

Post by Fleexy »

What? I suggest finishing parts 2 & 3 before even thinking about part 4. Should be interesting though.
szemi
Vorticon Elite

Post by szemi »

UPDATE: 1 level is almost done, then I wave into making other levels.
Scrolling story is done(only the text)
VikingBoyBilly
Vorticon Elite
Location: The spaghetti island of the faces of dinosaur world for a vacation

Post by VikingBoyBilly »

Dude, we don't need an update for each little thing you do. A massive update stating the game is 50% or 90% complete would be more satisfying to see.
"I don't trust players. Not one bit." - Levellass
szemi
Vorticon Elite

Post by szemi »

I suspend Martinez McMeyer 3.5 for a while due to chaotic level problems, so I announce episode 4.(If the level problems will be resolved, I'll continue Martinez 3.5, don't worry!)

THE GRAND INTELLIGENCE in "Deja View"
Episode Four: Intelligent Intellect

Title whispers Martinez McMeyer will battle his bad counterpart, Mortimer McMire. Yeah, Mortimer will be beaten by his good alter as well. The planet takes place on planet Iris, which is similar to the Earth, but some things are changed.
biffstudly
Vortininja

Post by biffstudly »

szemi
Vorticon Elite

Post by szemi »

Nospike
Keen Minecrafter

Post by Nospike »

Okay, so this will probably be a longer post.
The titlescreen background is pretty good and so is the font. But the characters need work. The open mouths look weird and the shading is off, but otherwise it's a pretty good titlescreen. (100% better than whatever I can make)
You did a good job with the level layout. The level is not too long, but there is enough places to explore and it feels pretty natural. The background is interesting and I like it. Really nice level theme you're going for.
That being said, I'm not really sure about the inchworm and bounder replacements you have there. The bounders are somewhat hard to see. The inchworms would benefit from lighter colors, it's okay for them to be brown but their top part looks weird.
The tiles are pretty nice, I especially like your ground tiles. They mimick the Keen 4 feel while being original and slightly different to freshen things up.
However, the tree tiles need some serious work. The trunk tiles are taken from Keen 3, and while that wouldn't be so bad since they weren't used much in Keen 3, it just doesn't look right in this setting. Making tree tiles isn't hard, hell the way I made trees in Botafloria was to take my wooden door tiles, add a few black lines to make em look more like a tree trunk and bam, it's done. The branches should be only top-blocking, at the first sight I really wouldn't expect them to be blocking from all sides. You should also make a "branch end" tile that will, as the name suggests, end the branches in a natural looking manner. The tree trunks should be non-blocking. While it would add a very simple route to the exit in this case and make all the trees optional, it also adds a lot more room for optional exploring, which is always nicer than being forced to climb up, down, up down...
And the last thing, your point items look pretty nice. I suggest putting some point items to the treetops to make climbing them more rewarding. By the way, some of the required jumps to get past a tree look pretty high. Make sure your levels are passable on Medium and Hard difficulty too, even with the jumps not being so high.

Overall, I like this mod. Looking forward to it. :)
szemi
Vorticon Elite

Post by szemi »

The Bounder = Plasmian
The Inchworm = Black swamp worm

Don't worry, I'll fix them as well as the title screen, everything will be shaded.
The level isn't too long as it's an introduction level, but I'll improve it though, because i'm still working on some other tiles for the level.
Yeah, I was thinking of the branches top-blocking (me stupid, I wanted top-blocking), because then how to get to the level end, especially with high jumping in normal or hard mode.
Levellass
S-Triazine

Post by Levellass »

The trees definitely need work, trunks and leaves. Also not sure about the blocking property, no game or mod to my knowledge has ever had tree trunks and branches block Keen. And the flag holders in the map should be in their own little clearings, not slammed on top of the forest trees, it looks odd.
What you really need, not what you think you ought to want.
szemi
Vorticon Elite

Post by szemi »

Which football helmet style should I use? Please vote!
Nospike
Keen Minecrafter

Post by Nospike »

The current design works well imo, I like it.
szemi
Vorticon Elite

Post by szemi »

Okay then, black helmet with green M will stay. :)
Levack
Vortininja

Post by Levack »

Szemi wrote:

[quote="szemi"]This will be my second Keen mod(and nothing more!) I'll be working on along with Keen 10.
quote]