Graphically Enhanced Fangames?

You can discuss anything about fan-made Commander Keen games here.
JoeCapricorn
Grunt

Post by JoeCapricorn »

I proposed the Commander Keen Doom project to be community based - as in people could submit graphics and ideas. I just haven't been able to work on it lately as I have been very busy with college and a Multimedia Fusion 2 based project that doesn't have anything to do with Commander Keen except that it might lead to something that does.
jimmyjames
Vortininja

Post by jimmyjames »

I may be able to work with Isis but only if i can crack those .dat files open that come with demos, the source files didn't seem to include them.
Forget it.
StupidBunny
format c:

Post by StupidBunny »

JoeCapricorn wrote:I proposed the Commander Keen Doom project to be community based - as in people could submit graphics and ideas. I just haven't been able to work on it lately as I have been very busy with college and a Multimedia Fusion 2 based project that doesn't have anything to do with Commander Keen except that it might lead to something that does.
See other thread for Commander Keen Doom graphic-type stuff.
Zero X. Diamond
Vortininja

Post by Zero X. Diamond »

Galaxieretter wrote:Unless we want things like Z-1's "Here is the best Commander Keen fangame ever made in the history of fangames. Now I'm going to stop and no you can't have my code, art or anything. Goodbye."
The source code was released. Even I have a copy. Don't really see where all the negativity is coming from here.
"I know what I am doing here with my collection of papers, for crying out loud. It isn't worth a nickel to two guys like you or me, but to a collector it is worth a fortune; it is priceless." - Dutch Schultz
KeenRush
Android Dummy

Post by KeenRush »

It's all his own fucling hard work. There's no reason at all he should just give it away. I don't see why people should have the right to just take/steal/copy his talented work and use it in their own projects. And yes, the source code has been released, as said. Also, it's not like every other fan game has released its source or given all the stuff for others to use...
My newest mod - Commander Keen: Sunset: viewtopic.php?t=8568 | codename H.Y.E.N.A.
ancient one
Grunt

Post by ancient one »

The isis 2 source code was released as mentioned. In the old forum so was a download of the engine and editor the password used in the editor source code lets you access the graphics. However note that the source code files for the game engine says the graphics are copyright.

We also have the source code for clone keen which can be downloaded this invites people to use the source code to create a new game.

So perhaps there are not enouigh people who have the time to build on what is available
K1n9_Duk3
Vorticon Elite

Post by K1n9_Duk3 »

I think that a new fangame with hi-res graphics shouldn't be that much of a problem. I don't know if I mentioned it before, but the engine I'm currently working on will support both hi-res (like z1's engine) and lo-res (like isis 2) graphics.

The biggest problem still is creating the graphics.
Hail to the K1n9, baby!
http://k1n9duk3.shikadi.net
MRC Marky
Grunt

-

Post by MRC Marky »

I used to work on graphics seen in Isis.. I don't see the graphics as the main problem, but rather the motivation required to go through the entire creation process, no matter how large the creative team is (and the Isis team WAS kind of big...)
My advice is, don't try to create a fangame just for the sake of enhanced graphics. Create it based on a fully-tailored, fully-polished, solid idea with a good plot and good twists. I'd much rather play XkyRauh's greatly crafted, 16-coloured MODs than fangame that falls short from grace, no matter how enhanced the graphics are :).
tulip
Flower Pot

Post by tulip »

I agree with marky,
but don't forget: Xky's games have great graphics. As they are mod's they certainly move within the possibilities of the original engine, but they are very well drawn and animated.
Image You crack me up little buddy!