Mortish and girl Music needed

You can discuss anything about fan-made Commander Keen games here.
Levack
Vortininja

Mortish and girl Music needed

Post by Levack »

I need some music to use in my Levelpacks Mortimer Mcmire :mort And Princess Lindsey. :lindsey If I use your music I will put you on the high scores and put your name in a level.
VikingBoyBilly
Vorticon Elite
Location: The spaghetti island of the faces of dinosaur world for a vacation

Post by VikingBoyBilly »

What is this a levelpack of? Some knowledge of the setting and atmosphere would help determine what kind of music would be appropriate.
"I don't trust players. Not one bit." - Levellass
entropicdecay
Mad Mushroom

Post by entropicdecay »

Which Keens? I presume IMF is the file format sought?
Levack
Vortininja

Post by Levack »

They are keen 4&5 level packs with some new art,mort and lindsey sprites.Also the Music must be IMFs.
entropicdecay
Mad Mushroom

Post by entropicdecay »

Alright. I presume Mort's style of music could be generalised to "ominous", but do you have any level ideas that could inspire more specifics?
Levack
Vortininja

Post by Levack »

Um... not yet
entropicdecay
Mad Mushroom

Post by entropicdecay »

Levack wrote:Um... not yet
Oh, well, maybe the music could inspire the levels? I dunno.
Levack
Vortininja

Post by Levack »

That's a good idea. I haven't started on the mort levels. lindsey levels are about 50%.

Mort is keen4

Lindsey is keen5
entropicdecay
Mad Mushroom

Post by entropicdecay »

Could you elaborate on the type of music you might like for the Lindsey levels? "Girl music" isn't really a thing. Think about Princess Lindsey specifically and what she's like. Helpful, wise, kind of mysterious? At least that's the basic impression I think Keen 4 was going for.

Some stuff to get you thinking about the Lindsey levelpack in general: do you think Lindsey carries a weapon? Is she a pacifist? If not, why not? Would she use something like the Neural Stunner, a weapon designed in theory to focus on self-defense? If she's not on Gnosticus IV any more, why did she leave? Given her advice-dispensing role in Keen IV, perhaps she seeks wider knowledge of the galaxy after Keen's visit to her (presumed) native planet?

And Mortimer. What's he like? He cares little for the lives of the creatures he encounters, seemingly believing almost all non-Keen being to be tools at best, instruments of his genius used to taunt Keen until such time as Mortimer decides to finally end their intergalactic schoolyard rivalry, or Keen makes it through the deception and finishes it himself. Basically, he's the counter to Keen because he's both the rival intellect to Keen's and the bully to his misfit kid. Keen could laugh off a bully who wasn't smart and he could have a positive friendship with a rival brain who respected him, but combine them both and I believe there's where you find Mortimer McMire's basic villain concept. See the dialogue before Keen 3's Mangling Machine fight! That's what I'm overanalysing most of this from, that made a big impression on me when I first played it, to the extent that such things can be remembered accurately.

(Disclaimer: You don't have to follow anything I say, these are all opinions which I offer as potential starting points.)
troublesomekeen
Vorticon Elite

Re: Mortish and girl Music needed

Post by troublesomekeen »

Levack wrote:If I use your music I will put you on the high scores and put your name in a level.
Hey! Those are my awards for the Mad Mushroom contest! Argh, you pirate! Nah, totally kidding. There aren't many ways of rewarding someone keenishly. But I've been composing music all my life, so I'll be thinking of some tunes--which I'll share with you if I think they're any good. I still have to complete the soundtrack for my own mod.

A Mort levelpack and a Lindsey levelpack? Sounds great. I'm brainstorming up some ideas for a Molly Mcmire mod while I finish my Gnosticene mod. I have a question, which isn't musical. I've seen the sprite set for Mort but not for Lindsey. Where do you get your Lindsey sprites? Do you draw them or get them from Netkeen? Just wondering, since I'll be using Princess Lindsey sprites (probably from Netkeen) as a guide to making my Molly sprites. Cheers!
elecdude33 wrote:Some stuff to get you thinking about the Lindsey levelpack in general: do you think Lindsey carries a weapon?
Ah ha! Something to think about.
Commander Keen in... Canteloupe Quest!
entropicdecay
Mad Mushroom

Post by entropicdecay »

troublesomekeen wrote:
elecdude33 wrote:Some stuff to get you thinking about the Lindsey levelpack in general: do you think Lindsey carries a weapon?
Ah ha! Something to think about.
She does carry a wand, but I don't think she's ever seen using it... it'd be nice to come up with something inventive with it, like maybe it could be used as some sort of puzzle-solving tool? Providing the patching is feasible. A ranged switch-flipping ability would be pretty neat, while I'm throwing out don't-know-how-plausible-this-is ideas.
Levack
Vortininja

Post by Levack »

I drew them.
Keening_Product
Kuliwho?

Post by Keening_Product »

elecdude33 wrote:A ranged switch-flipping ability would be pretty neat, while I'm throwing out don't-know-how-plausible-this-is ideas.
That sounds awesome! Could make for some interesting Dr Riptide-esque levels... just without the water.
Keening_Product was defeated before the game.

"Wise words. One day I may even understand what they mean." - Levellass
VikingBoyBilly
Vorticon Elite
Location: The spaghetti island of the faces of dinosaur world for a vacation

Post by VikingBoyBilly »

Levack wrote:I drew them.
so what is it?
"I don't trust players. Not one bit." - Levellass
Levack
Vortininja

Post by Levack »

Lindsey sprites

Ok this is what I do not want...NOTES THAT HOLD FOR THE WHOLE SONG! :dead2 :dead

I guess I want music like elecdude33 talks about
Ok your name may not be in a level,but it will
most likely be on the high scores. Your name will be in the opening credits.
and you can beta test it...I hope
Last edited by Levack on Mon May 07, 2012 21:41, edited 1 time in total.