Tom Hall and John Romero Q/A at G+ Hangout on 2012/06/25

A general chat area, here you can post anything that doesn't belong in another forum.
Paramultart
VBB's Partner in Crime

Tom Hall and John Romero Q/A at G+ Hangout on 2012/06/25

Post by Paramultart »

There's a new game from Lootdrop: Pettington Park.
Haven't played it yet, but Tom Hall is the lead designer, so hopefully there's bound to be even more Keen references than Ravenwood Fair.

This was posted on Pettington Park's G+ page:
PETTINGTON PARK G+ HANGOUT is on June 25th!

Tom Hall, Pettington Park's lead designer, and John Romero, CEO of Loot Drop, both game industry veterans, are going to be in a Hangout! Post your questions here, with the hashtag #AskLoot if you would. Ask about Pettington Park, Loot Drop, game history, whatever you want! Thanks!
Be sure to post your questions as comments to that status update here:
https://plus.google.com/u/0/117278004989557904568

You know what to do, Keeners... ;)

(This thread also serves as a general Pettington Park and Keen references thread.)
"Father Mabeuf was surveying his plants"
DukeNukem 2417
Grunt

Post by DukeNukem 2417 »

Just noticed this:
Dear Mr. Romero - Last year, after gracing the Keen community with your presence, you mentioned having in your possession an early build of a canceled TUIT engine, and possibly some other long lost Keen-related material. This caused much hype in the Keen community, and everyone's just dying to get their hands on it. Do you have any plans on releasing said material? Thank you.
Anyone else got a good feeling about this?
What's the point of growing up if you can't be a little childish sometimes?
Flaose
Vorticon Elder

Post by Flaose »

This is exciting! How do they do a hangout with so many people, though? I find things get crazy with only 3 people!
Cerebral Cortex 314 - For All of your Commander Keen Needs.
Eat at Joe's
Keening_Product
Kuliwho?

Post by Keening_Product »

Thanks for the heads-up Para! :)
Flaose wrote:This is exciting! How do they do a hangout with so many people, though? I find things get crazy with only 3 people!
Ghost magic.
Keening_Product was defeated before the game.

"Wise words. One day I may even understand what they mean." - Levellass
Flaose
Vorticon Elder

Post by Flaose »

This is great!

Dear Mr. Romero - Last year, after gracing the Keen community with your presence, you mentioned having in your possession an early build of a canceled TUIT engine, and possibly some other long lost Keen-related material. This caused much hype in the Keen community, and everyone's just dying to get their hands on it. Do you have any plans on releasing said material? Thank you.
John:
Short answer, YES. He believes that he has a Keen 7 demo "parallax engine" (tech demo, I'd imagine). He has the sources for 4, 5, 6. Plans to have all the stuff wrapped up in a nice package "sometime".

Tom:
Believes he has the other Keen sources.
Recently asked for Keen rights, is hopeful. Will give away the TUIT plans and details if he doesn't get rights before he turns 50. :)

And now the whole chat is uploaded to YouTube! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yTC0Iuj_fjQ
Cerebral Cortex 314 - For All of your Commander Keen Needs.
Eat at Joe's
Paramultart
VBB's Partner in Crime

Post by Paramultart »

YAY!!! They answered my question!!!
And the answer was more than what we could have asked for! I'm so happy right now! :D
Rorie
Tru-Blu Aussie Born & Bred

Post by Rorie »

John:
Short answer, YES. He believes that he has a Keen 7 demo "parallax engine" (tech demo, I'd imagine). He has the sources for 4, 5, 6. Plans to have all the stuff wrapped up in a nice package "sometime".

Tom:
Believes he has the other Keen sources.
Recently asked for Keen rights, is hopeful. Will give away the TUIT plans and details if he doesn't get rights before he turns 50. :)
i would be surprised and astonished if the universe is toast was actually released 20 years after it was shelved for wolfenstien 3d and doom, question is will it be completely redone in 3d or in it's original classic engine?, just let me say i would pay to have keen in 3d i may not have been so enthusiastic in the past but i am now
If you can't change the rules, challenge them, rules are made to be broken
Up yours Fleexy!
Keening_Product
Kuliwho?

Post by Keening_Product »

Here's the direct link to that part of the interview: http://youtu.be/yTC0Iuj_fjQ?t=14m22s

(Credit for that link goes to Paramultart, who posted it on Facebook.)
Keening_Product was defeated before the game.

"Wise words. One day I may even understand what they mean." - Levellass
Rorie
Tru-Blu Aussie Born & Bred

Post by Rorie »

Keening_Product wrote:Here's the direct link to that part of the interview: http://youtu.be/yTC0Iuj_fjQ?t=14m22s

(Credit for that link goes to Paramultart, who posted it on Facebook.)
i am on fb too. like to be my friend?
If you can't change the rules, challenge them, rules are made to be broken
Up yours Fleexy!
Commander Spleen
Lord of the Foobs

Post by Commander Spleen »

\:D/
mortimer
Blistering Barnacles

Post by mortimer »

:garg :garg :garg :garg :garg
Last edited by mortimer on Sun Jul 12, 2020 20:29, edited 1 time in total.
Billions of blue blistering barnacles in a thousand thundering typhoons!
VikingBoyBilly
Vorticon Elite
Location: The spaghetti island of the faces of dinosaur world for a vacation

Post by VikingBoyBilly »

mortimer wrote:This is excellent news. Who actually owns the rights to keen? That'll be 3d realms, will it?
Nah, it's zenimax, which makes releasing those source codes a tricky situation. By the sounds of it, Tom and John got it all figured out to release it somehow, which will be revolutionary for keen modding :drool
"I don't trust players. Not one bit." - Levellass
Paramultart
VBB's Partner in Crime

Post by Paramultart »

I hate to sound impatient, but I hope they release this stuff soon!
It's been well over a year since Romero first told us he had the TUIT code, and the games are almost as old as I am.

Still... Sooooo excited. I am very eager to make Keen TCs (total conversions) which are completely unKeeinish and non-Keen-related.

Also, Keen mods actually have the potential to feel like new Keen games and not "clever replacements".
GolfHacker
Vortininja

Post by GolfHacker »

Rorie wrote:i would be surprised and astonished if the universe is toast was actually released 20 years after it was shelved for wolfenstien 3d and doom, question is will it be completely redone in 3d or in it's original classic engine?, just let me say i would pay to have keen in 3d i may not have been so enthusiastic in the past but i am now
Actually, I would like to see it released in its original classic engine. It may not be up to par with today's graphics capabilities, but it would be pretty cool to play it in its original form. There are a lot of games (indie in particular) that use pixelated graphics and could be considered successful (e.g, the Blackwell series of adventure games and Frogatto), so I don't think the original classic engine would necessarily prohibit sales, if they chose to finish it and sell it.

Of course, the source code would probably have to be updated enough to allow it to run on modern operating systems without requiring the use of DOSBox, but I wouldn't have a problem with that.

It might also be possible to offer 2 different visual modes: a classic version and a more modern version. I think I've seen some game remakes that did this, though I can't remember what they were offhand...
Troy Hepfner, Indie game developer
My Game Company
Creator of Dirk Dashing and Rick Rocket
VikingBoyBilly
Vorticon Elite
Location: The spaghetti island of the faces of dinosaur world for a vacation

Post by VikingBoyBilly »

GolfHacker wrote: Actually, I would like to see it released in its original classic engine.
We already have that. It's UTUIT (Keys of Krodacia, Dead in the Desert, Battle of the Brains). That's why a lot of us would rather see an official TUIT with a new engine, giving us something revolutionary that doesn't make UTUIT feel like a pointless effort.
"I don't trust players. Not one bit." - Levellass