Favourite video game soundtracks?

Discuss your favorite movies, books, and music here or just lounge around and see what other people think is classy.
Xarthok
Vortininja

Favourite video game soundtracks?

Post by Xarthok »

Mine are Outlaws (by LucasArts, 1997), Doom, Duke Nukem: Manhattan Project and Guitar Hero games :D Yours?
Come and try out over 6000 great free flash games at:
Lava89
Vorticon Elite

Post by Lava89 »

Most Sonic the Hedgehog music I think is awesome (except maybe Sonic 06). Though I think primarily the Sonic games that had the best was Sonic 3 & Knuckles and Sonic Adventure I.

Flying Battery Zone FTW!
XkyRauh
Mortimer's RightHand Man

Post by XkyRauh »

Hmm... This is really hard for me.

As far as narrative, programmatic background music goes, I'm definitely a huge fan of Day of the Tentacle; the opening sequence, from start to finish, is fantastic.

As far as static, looping, traditional-video-game background music goes, I think I owe a nod to Kirby Super Star, for having so many memorable tunes (and a percussion kit with about 6 different types of snares in it).

As far as mood-setting music goes, nothing gets me more excited about actually PLAYING a game than hearing the music to Warcraft II. Great memories of seventh and eighth grade, there. :)

As far as a soundtrack surpassing the game it was written for, I have to point to Chrono Cross. The music in that game feels like a standalone product, while the gameplay (and plot, and everything else besides the music) feels sub-par by comparison.

As far as character-specific genre'd music goes, I tip my hat to Sonic Adventure 2. Each of the six characters had their own genre/style of music, and it gave each of the plot points a unique feel, even if the gameplay was glitchy and not always fun.

If I had to pick a single game to hang my video game soundtrack hat on... Man, just ONE game? Glurg... This is hard!

Probably Kirby's Adventure on the NES. Something about NES music in general (limited instrumentation / orchestration) really tickles me, and Kirby's Adventure was one of the NES games I played most heavily.

That's too much thought about game music. :(
Lava89
Vorticon Elite

Post by Lava89 »

Thanks for reminding me about RTS games Rauh!

I think Age of Empires 1 had superb music, I also loved AOE2 and 3's music, but AOE 1 has a unique, yet awesome sound.

And yes, Kirby's Adventure had great music as well!
Malvineous
Shikadi Webmaster

Post by Malvineous »

I really should listen to all these other game soundtracks that often get positive reviews - I've only ever really listened to PC game music, and of that Unreal Tournament is probably my favourite (love that techno), followed closely by the moody music used in "The Gate", which was a total conversion for Duke3D.

The original Duke3D music was very good too, as was the oriental style used in the shareware version of Shadow Warrior. I guess I like Lee Jackson's style, because Rise of the Triad ain't half bad either :-)

Oh, and the music from Blood is really nice and creepy. Not to mention the techno anime-ish style of Shogo frequents my playlists too. That was a great game.

Heh, it is really hard just listing a few. I really want to say how great Heretic, Terminal Velocity and Halloween Harry were, and there were great tunes used in Vinyl Goddess from Mars, Descent, Sango Fighter and Epic Pinball (Adrenaline is probably one of my favourite songs of all time.) Plus I can't go past the old-school OPL sound of Wolf3D and Monster Bash, or the similar style CMF sound of Kiloblaster, Jill of the Jungle and Xargon.

Heh, I still find even that main song from Lemmings a bit haunting :-)
Genius314
Vorticon Elite

Post by Genius314 »

Hm... I really like the soundtrack from Pokemon. Every time I hear those old chiptunes, it's instant nostalgia.

Sonic had some good music, up until the 3d games, when they added all those cheesy lyrical songs.

Mega Man has some good soundtracks, as well.
Veke
Grunt

Post by Veke »

Frank Klepacki's C&C music is my all time favourite.

Also, I love Star Control 2's both original music and Precursor remixes. (can be found here)

Planescape Torment's music is amazing too.
Lava89
Vorticon Elite

Post by Lava89 »

Genius314 wrote:
Sonic had some good music, up until the 3d games, when they added all those cheesy lyrical songs.
Have you listened to the level music? Besides the rap songs for Knuckles in SA2 and City Escape, the level's stuff is fantastic, and that goes for Sonic Adventure 1,2 and Heroes. I highly recommend it :)
entropicdecay
Mad Mushroom

Post by entropicdecay »

It's too difficult to choose. I might pick the Mega Man series, because it can generally be relied upon to have some pretty awesome music in the sort of anthemic-sounding style I associate most strongly with video game music. Or I might say Super Mario Bros. and the Legend of Zelda for containing probably the two most iconic, widely recognized video game themes ever.

Plus a lot more besides. Earthbound has some interesting and creative music. The music for Keen 4-6 is also good, as is the Jill of the Jungle music (as a side note concerning JotJ music, have you ever noticed that some tracks seem to be missing from Jill Goes Underground? I have the tracks, but I don't think I got them with the game at first... weird.)
Xarthok
Vortininja

Post by Xarthok »

Oh I almost forgot one the best - the Fallout games. Truly masterpieces.
Come and try out over 6000 great free flash games at:
StupidBunny
format c:

Post by StupidBunny »

Most of the stuff in the Sonic Adventure series is wonderful. The lyrical music is all right as long as you don't listen to the actual words, but mostly everything else is fantastic.

I also really like the soundtrack to Doom...a lot of that music completes the atmosphere really well and it has a variety of sounds, ranging from dark and creepy to intense and fast-paced.

I think, though, if I had to pick just one I'd go with the soundtrack for Blood. The music is very atmospheric and some of it is truly terrifying, and it is generally excellent horror music in its own right.
ZidaneA
Shikadi Master

Post by ZidaneA »

I must say it is hard to choose.
Garg! I've got over 4000 tracks from about 120 different games, and I like 'em all... :bloody
entropicdecay
Mad Mushroom

Post by entropicdecay »

Oh, and somehow I completely forgot to mention either the Castlevania or Guilty Gear series' soundtracks. They're awesome.
DSL
Miragia made me disappear

Post by DSL »

elecdude33 wrote:Oh, and somehow I completely forgot to mention either the Castlevania or Guilty Gear series' soundtracks. They're awesome.
I know some of the tracks in (Super) Castlevania IV are reused from earlier CV-games but i think that game has it all perfect when it comes to overall feeling. It's the last CV-game i find true to the original concept, after CV4 everything turned into an orgy of japan animé-styled characters and heavy arcade rpg gameplay.

Well, that's how a guy that grew up with CV1 thinks...
Deltamatic
Vorticon Elite

Post by Deltamatic »

I'd have to say my favorites are the Monkey Island I and II soundtracks so far (haven't managed to get my hands on Curse yet). Just 'cause.