Guardian of Wisdom

You can discuss anything about fan-made Commander Keen games here.
troublesomekeen
Vorticon Elite

Post by troublesomekeen »

_mr_m_ wrote:One little problem and possible spoiler for those who didn't watch the youtube video: The eyes need to vanish while standing still. I wonder what you'll do next...
Okay then. The eyes will be erased. I thought I would keep the eyes open so that the player always knows which way he's facing. I had a little trouble with Berkette because when standing still, it faces toward the camera. So you could end up wasting a few ammo upon forgetting which way you're facing. But I suppose that's the risk of it. Also, when pressing the Down Key, this eyes disappear so that you can pretend to be a mimrock. Say... I wonder if I can offset its sprite set to walk lower -- to be on the same level as the real mimrocks instead of walking on the same plane as Keen. That would be very dangerous for the other NetKeeners.
Next up, I'm going to see if I can properly form some kind of melee attack with the next character:

Last edited by troublesomekeen on Fri Oct 26, 2012 17:35, edited 1 time in total.
Commander Keen in... Canteloupe Quest!
Eros
Cybloog Slayer

Post by Eros »

the best way to make a melee attack is to have the bullet disappear after like, 2 tilespaces or something.

then by having the enemy's animation be that long, it can appear to be a melee attack.

unless i'm just talking out of my arse, i have no real comprehension of patch editing and stuff.
StupidBunny wrote:
kuliwil wrote:I wish that oa;fdjgnae;ogubneaogiearh;igbnerfgoajfsgoefnh
Granted. You have just had a severe stroke.
troublesomekeen
Vorticon Elite

Eros wrote:the best way to make a melee attack is to have the bullet disappear after like, 2 tilespaces or something.
Good, good! There's a patch quite like that. I'll see if I can draw the bullet sprite and the shooting sprite to look as one long continuous attacking Wormouth. The challenge here would be proper animations for BOTH directions.
Oh. Guys. Don't ever start work on spriting at midnight. Next thing you know it'll be 2 o'clock, suffer an asthma attack, get to sleep at 4, wake up at 9:30, post a youtube video and WAAAA LAAAAA!:
http://youtu.be/-3lDjyXhelA
Benvolio
Vorticon Elite

Post by Benvolio »

that's really neat troublesomekeen, turned out suprisingly well. now, if only there was a 'shotgun' patch for dispersing multiple bullets at different angles. Then modding would take on a whole new direction!
troublesomekeen
Vorticon Elite

Benvolio wrote:that's really neat troublesomekeen, turned out suprisingly well.
Thanks Ben! Turned out exceedingly well, I think. Someone mentioned making a Mini Robo Red on the irc channel, so I decided to take a stab at it. The only trouble is Robo Red holds his gun too low. The bullets seem to come out of his gritting teeth. This problem could be taken care of if we eliminate the second problem -- which is Robo Red should hover further off the ground.
In other news today, I ended up erasing the Bullet frames completely, re-sized some stuff and, well, take a look for yourself! A melee attack!
http://youtu.be/78o8T36CxcY
Roobar
Vorticon Elite

Post by Roobar »

That's really funny! As for the rock, I would vote for an eyed one for obvious reasons: player should know which direction he is facing.
troublesomekeen
Vorticon Elite

_mr_m_ wrote:Your work with replacing Keen with the different enemies is really quite good. I wonder what you'll do next...maybe a Bloog in Keen 4 ... in one of the biggest crosover/mashup/clusterfucl mods of all time: Aliens Ate the Council Janitor!
Well! Here we are!
http://youtu.be/__IevltOPPM
Same principal as the Wormouth.
Levellass
S-Triazine

Post by Levellass »

that's really neat troublesomekeen, turned out suprisingly well. now, if only there was a 'shotgun' patch for dispersing multiple bullets at different angles. Then modding would take on a whole new direction!
This shouldn't be too difficult provided you want the shots to always fire in the same basic pattern.
What you really need, not what you think you ought to want.
Ceilick
The Dude

Post by Ceilick »

These are quite amusing and very well done :lol Hope you plan to release them; would be cool as one big skin pack, useful as a resource as well.
Stealthy71088
Vortininja

Post by Stealthy71088 »

Levellass wrote:
And the Berkette is sweet! Is there some way to patch Keen so that one in, say, ten fireballs from the adult turns into a Berkette?
Reasonably easily. The problem is that eventually the level will fill with Berkettes.
If you can mix in the poison slug poison into the spawning code, it will disappear if it goes off screen. I used this trick once when I was playing around to make a poison slug infinitely spawn licks. The slug would stop spawning once too many were on the screen, preventing the game from crashing. When I left the screen and came back, any licks that weren't with me were gone.
Keening_Product
Kuliwho?

Post by Keening_Product »

Stealthy71088 wrote: If you can mix in the poison slug poison into the spawning code, it will disappear if it goes off screen. I used this trick once when I was playing around to make a poison slug infinitely spawn licks. The slug would stop spawning once too many were on the screen, preventing the game from crashing. When I left the screen and came back, any licks that weren't with me were gone.
Neat trick, but a lack of object permanence is not something people under the age of two tend to appreciate :p
Keening_Product was defeated before the game.

"Wise words. One day I may even understand what they mean." - Levellass
troublesomekeen
Vorticon Elite

Ceilick wrote:Hope you plan to release them; would be cool as one big skin pack, useful as a resource as well.
Quite right! I have something bombastic in mind -- if I can manage it. Either way, I'll release all of these sprites when their finished. (Lord knows if I'll be able to. Pole frames and others ((like jumping frames for the blooglet)) can be a little tricky.)
Next up on the agenda is the Blue Bird. I'm going to try and manage some side-view flying frames. A patch that enables the Jump Endlessly Cheat without have to activate debug mode and all that would be super useful in this case!
Roobar
Vorticon Elite

Post by Roobar »

I think the very first Keen 4 mod was with the bluebird.
Eros
Cybloog Slayer

Post by Eros »

for the bluebird mod, instead of being on land, the guy treated every level as underwater.

hope that helps.
StupidBunny wrote:
kuliwil wrote:I wish that oa;fdjgnae;ogubneaogiearh;igbnerfgoajfsgoefnh
Granted. You have just had a severe stroke.
troublesomekeen
Vorticon Elite

Oh yes, now I remember
http://www.shikadi.net/keenwiki/Birdman
These projects are all about resizing various characters to be the same height, width, weight and breadth or Commander Keen. The Blue Bird is slightly taller than Keen, so last night I did a bit of adjusting.

Birdman uses the Swimming Keen to fly. That's exactly what I want to avoid.
Last edited by troublesomekeen on Tue Jul 11, 2017 20:01, edited 1 time in total.