RPG Keen?

You can discuss anything about fan-made Commander Keen games here.

Should Bablet try and do a Keen RPG?

HELL NO!
8%
Sure kid, do whatever.
83%
No Bablet. Just no. Keen wasn't meant to do that.
4%
...Who let this lunatic play .Flow?
4%

Total votes: 24

Bablet
Vortininja

RPG Keen?

Post by Bablet »

Good idea? Horrible idea?

I downloaded rpgmaker2003 trying to install .Flow, (it's either this or my relentless Touhou addiction. There's no third option) and since I've got no other use for it, I figured, "Could I?"

Then I realized the more important question was "Should I even try?"

Because why try hard at something you shouldn't even be doing in the first place?!

*EDIT* EVERYONE? ANGELL IS MY BFF AND HER OPINION IS THEREFORE BIASED AND INVALID. PLEASE KEEP THIS IN MIND.

PS: Ange please don't argue we both know it's true. You are my bff, and therefore I don't believe the public will believe you fully.
Last edited by Bablet on Sun Nov 25, 2012 18:06, edited 1 time in total.
I am the only,
I am the lonely,
I am the sole soul fish.
AngellofFour
Meep

... I maybe just made an account for this. xD

Post by AngellofFour »

Babs. Yes. Do it.

:D

Even if I'm being redundant by saying so at this point.

*Edit*

Okay, fine. xD

You've got a point, but it doesn't change that I want the RPG. (Especially given that I was thinking about one too, the same day you asked me about it. XD)
RP Email: ExtremelyKeenCommander@hotmail.com

I am Four, HEAR ME ROAR! *brick'd*
Roobar
Vorticon Elite

Post by Roobar »

When you think about doing something, you got to be sure you want to do it. We would like to see an Keen RPG game, but if you're not sure, then...
Benvolio
Vorticon Elite

Post by Benvolio »

An RPG would be quite cool alright. Think of the text-based humour throughout the whole series, it is one of the hallmarks (no pun intended) of the Keen experience. So if you could try capture the vibe of the cheeky little conversations like the one with the Council Page in Keen4, or even the game text in Keen1 (you hear in your mind: "GAAARRRGG") then you could make something pretty fun. And if your game has graphical components too then that gives you the chance to make something good and Keenish.

Of course, wiivn is right, for any project you do you gotta believe in it or it will bring naught but misery. I've no idea what Touhou is but a quick google images tells me it looks way too complicated and detailed so, yeah a simple and fun retelling of Marooned on Mars please :P
Bablet
Vortininja

Post by Bablet »

I'm uncertain because I've never exactly... Done anything like this before. I do want to, but I wasn't sure if anyone would think it a good idea because it's an Rpg.

... Between the time I started the poll and this comment, I've eaten breakfast and made a pretty good, functioning robot sprite.

I figured an RPG would have been more suited to what talents I do possess (since I can't mod for the life of me), which are more story telling than "Here's a bunch of enemies and a quest, get to it!"
I am the only,
I am the lonely,
I am the sole soul fish.
troublesomekeen
Vorticon Elite

Post by troublesomekeen »

RPG Keen! I would like to see that! Seeing as how it would be an RPG, the first question that comes to mind is, what kind of battle system would it have?
A side-scroller with menus, inventory, items, weapons, and places to invent new guns and devices with scraps and blueprints found from dungeons, chests and creatures? That would be awesome!
I would really, really like to see a Secret of Evermore-style RPG. An Action RPG, with an almost-top-down view, roaming about the country-side freely fighting robots and monsters.
Or perhaps the engine you're working with only allows for JRPGs, like Final Fantasy. That would be a bummer...
Commander Keen in... Canteloupe Quest!
fantomx11
Vortininja

Post by fantomx11 »

If you go with a ultima style perspective, you can reuse some of the graphics from Galaxy engine world maps. Just saying
My keyboard has no caps lock. It has a BRIAN BLESSED button!
Levellass
S-Triazine

Post by Levellass »

All I'll say is I am sure i saw Molly in Touhou somewhere...
What you really need, not what you think you ought to want.
Bablet
Vortininja

Post by Bablet »

Eheh. EHehheh. Um...

It's just rpgmaker2003. It's pretty normal sprite stuff, right? I edited a few earlier. Three. I've got three character sprites. An alien, a robot, and a tester keen. Yes, I did kinda edit them off the default. I needed a size reference so I wouldn't get any heads cut off XD

Hangon, gonna grab pictures for you guys.

Got it!
http://bablet.deviantart.com/gallery/?c ... s#/d5masjn

(...Lev, do you play Touhou too? *Holdsbackexcitment*)
Last edited by Bablet on Mon Nov 26, 2012 22:55, edited 1 time in total.
I am the only,
I am the lonely,
I am the sole soul fish.
Levellass
S-Triazine

Post by Levellass »

I'm sure I saw Molly with Nazrin, but it may just have been fan art. (Also, mice FTW, why is there not more of her?)
What you really need, not what you think you ought to want.
TerminILL
Skypest

Post by TerminILL »

I've seen some things in my day, but Lass discussing Touhou is up there for strange.

Also, I'm down with a Keen RPG if it's reasonably written and/or not awful to play. Give it a shot, anyway!
Shonikado wrote:Looking back on what we've done and wanting to change it is the first step in becoming a weakling that cannot do anything.
biffstudly
Vortininja

Post by biffstudly »

I think this is an awesome idea if done right. I've got a pretty strong RM2k3 background, both scripting events, map building and sprite design so if you need any help I'd be super happy to.

edit: i'm a pretty good writer too, especially when it comes to editing and critiquing other people's writing.
Bablet
Vortininja

Post by Bablet »

Looks like I learn something about people every day!

I'd love to get your help on stuff, Biff! And hopefully read a few of your works, too! (I write fanfiction a bit, but I'm not all that wonderful)

EDIT: Hey, can everyone access that pic? Because for some reason I'm getting a 404 on it.
I am the only,
I am the lonely,
I am the sole soul fish.
AngellofFour
Meep

Post by AngellofFour »

I totally knew there was gonna be more positive feedback than you thought. XD

(And your writing is good. I would know. xD)

And no 404s here!
RP Email: ExtremelyKeenCommander@hotmail.com

I am Four, HEAR ME ROAR! *brick'd*
GARGapplesauce
Applesauce in Chief

Post by GARGapplesauce »

Seem to remember a discussion about something like this going on a while back, it didn't get any positive response whatsoever at the time. I'm really glad to see that that's changed, I think if done correctly this could be an awesome project, the sprites you showed look good. I'd like to see it happen, please go for it!
Combine Garg and Apples in a bowl, simmer over medium heat for several years. Season with a pinch of regret.