RPG Keen?

You can discuss anything about fan-made Commander Keen games here.

Should Bablet try and do a Keen RPG?

HELL NO!
8%
Sure kid, do whatever.
83%
No Bablet. Just no. Keen wasn't meant to do that.
4%
...Who let this lunatic play .Flow?
4%

Total votes: 24

Keening_Product
Kuliwho?

Post by Keening_Product »

GARGapplesauce wrote:Seem to remember a discussion about something like this going on a while back, it didn't get any positive response whatsoever at the time.
There have been quite a few, one based on the Doom engine I think.

There was also another 3D-Keen 1 thing which came up recently too, but I can't remember which thread it was raised in.

Anyway, go for it if you want to do it. If you do do it, don't let the project die like all the others seem to have!
Keening_Product was defeated before the game.

"Wise words. One day I may even understand what they mean." - Levellass
troublesomekeen
Vorticon Elite

Post by troublesomekeen »

GARGapplesauce wrote:Seem to remember a discussion about something like this going on a while back, it didn't get any positive response whatsoever at the time.
Could it have been Thud's project?
Commander Keen in... Canteloupe Quest!
biffstudly
Vortininja

Post by biffstudly »

Bablet wrote:Looks like I learn something about people every day!

I'd love to get your help on stuff, Biff! And hopefully read a few of your works, too! (I write fanfiction a bit, but I'm not all that wonderful)

EDIT: Hey, can everyone access that pic? Because for some reason I'm getting a 404 on it.
I can see em just fine! They look good, I like the style. Very plain, which believe me, makes finishing a project 100x easier. As for my writing, here's a
LINK to my woefully under-updated writing blog. I've been too busy for the last... three years to write anything haha.
Lava89
Vorticon Elite

Post by Lava89 »

Keening_Product wrote:There was also another 3D-Keen 1 thing which came up recently too, but I can't remember which thread it was raised in.
Maybe you're thinking of this?
GARGapplesauce
Applesauce in Chief

Post by GARGapplesauce »

troublesomekeen wrote:Could it have been Thud's project?
No, the idea was purely hypothetical at the time which I'm recalling, thinking back I think it might actually have been on the IRC. Thinking back I also realized that the negative response was probably because the crowd was those who weren't so much for different kinds of fangames, and even more because I was one of the people discussing the idea :P ... but hey that's aside from the purpose of my comment here. Keep it up, Bablet, would love to see something awesome come of this.
Combine Garg and Apples in a bowl, simmer over medium heat for several years. Season with a pinch of regret.
Bablet
Vortininja

Post by Bablet »

biffstudly wrote: I can see em just fine! They look good, I like the style. Very plain, which believe me, makes finishing a project 100x easier.
I haven't done sprites in a ... Basically ever XD So simple's pretty much all I'm capable of. Hopefully, simple will work in my favor and seem more Keenish.

Speaking of, just completed a Mortimer sprite. Basically I just duplicated and recoloured the Keen one but changed what little hair is visible and, y'know, put the M on the helmet and took off the Computer Wrist. I might edit it into this post later, but I'll probably wait until I have more to show.

Though, I did do a sketch of a character who might show up, General Paffo. Yes, I did make him up a day and a half ago. He's one of the tiny orage yeti like creatures you saw in the sprites.
I am the only,
I am the lonely,
I am the sole soul fish.
Keening_Product
Kuliwho?

Post by Keening_Product »

Lava89 wrote:
Keening_Product wrote:There was also another 3D-Keen 1 thing which came up recently too, but I can't remember which thread it was raised in.
Maybe you're thinking of this?
That's the one! Thank you!
Keening_Product was defeated before the game.

"Wise words. One day I may even understand what they mean." - Levellass
Bablet
Vortininja

Post by Bablet »

Finally, I feel I have an update at least semi-worthy to post about!

Three new sprite edits: http://bablet.deviantart.com/gallery/?c ... s#/d5mvliu

And a quick little question, who do I ask if I want to see if it's okay to include an appearance from Lt. Barker? I thought it would be neat to see if I could get him an appearance since he's 1. A pretty cool guy, and 2. A good fan created character who works really well in the keenverse!

My next on the list are the Council Members (As in, make one and clone it like a photocopier), and I've got a few others, but council's definitley next up.
I am the only,
I am the lonely,
I am the sole soul fish.
Gridlock
Vorticon Elite

Post by Gridlock »

And a quick little question, who do I ask if I want to see if it's okay to include an appearance from Lt. Barker?
Ceilick created the character (I think). I'm sure he'd be fine with it. Not sure if it would help, but there are several sprites of barker that were made for netkeen.

I hope to see more from this :)
Armageddon Begins Again. The Alphamatic has arrived.

Atroxian Realm: viewtopic.php?f=4&t=3536
The Alphamatic: viewtopic.php?f=4&t=4086
Bablet
Vortininja

Post by Bablet »

Thanks!
Yeah, I've seen them, but I dunno if they'd fit the size XD I could aways check though!
I am the only,
I am the lonely,
I am the sole soul fish.
troublesomekeen
Vorticon Elite

Post by troublesomekeen »

Bablet wrote:I could always check though!
Here's all Galaxy NetKeen sprites can be found in here: http://dl.dropbox.com/u/3654819/Netkeen ... ackage.zip
Commander Keen in... Canteloupe Quest!
Levellass
S-Triazine

Post by Levellass »

Couldn't make those graphics a pinch smaller could we? (Also TOMKG will run with the Keengraph graphics, so you don't need separate TOM bitmaps.)
What you really need, not what you think you ought to want.
Bablet
Vortininja

Post by Bablet »

I've removed my rant, but I'm keeping the post here to inform of the technical difficulties.

I accidentally deleted the council member sprite I'd finished when I uninstalled/reinstalled RPGmaker2003, so now all I have left is a single frame from the side walk animation. It should be easy to rebuild, but if anyone knows of a method of retrieval, please let me know!
I am the only,
I am the lonely,
I am the sole soul fish.
Levellass
S-Triazine

Post by Levellass »

Constant, constant backups.

It's how I deal with everything.
What you really need, not what you think you ought to want.
Gridlock
Vorticon Elite

Post by Gridlock »

You should make backups of your backups' backups.

In all seriousness, data loss happens sometimes no matter what we do. I once lost a very large portion of an Atroxian Realm level and had to remake all of it from memory. While this can be frustrating, you might find that the second version ends up being better. Working in programs like dropbox can help prevent this, as all versions of your files are backed up.
Armageddon Begins Again. The Alphamatic has arrived.

Atroxian Realm: viewtopic.php?f=4&t=3536
The Alphamatic: viewtopic.php?f=4&t=4086