The Second Biggest Sandwich I Ever Saw!

You can discuss anything about fan-made Commander Keen games here.

What do you think of this idea so far? And after its been released, did you like it?

Good Mod/Good Idea
85%
This Lost episode should have stayed lost
4%
No opinion.
11%

Total votes: 47

Keening_Product
Kuliwho?

Post by Keening_Product »

tulip wrote:Pepperoni = peppers in German, but I can see now you meant to draw some kind of sausage.
And Peppers = Chillis in Australia and Chilies in America.

Tulip, your (German) pepperoni are brilliantly well drawn! I don't suppose some kind of spiced meats can be included so these graphics can be used? :P
Keening_Product was defeated before the game.

"Wise words. One day I may even understand what they mean." - Levellass
Scarlet
Vorticon Elite

Post by Scarlet »

Keening_Product wrote:
tulip wrote:Pepperoni = peppers in German, but I can see now you meant to draw some kind of sausage.
And Peppers = Chillis in Australia and Chilies in America.

Tulip, your (German) pepperoni are brilliantly well drawn! I don't suppose some kind of spiced meats can be included so these graphics can be used? :P
We call them peppers rather than Chili's here in the US and Canada.
Join us for netkeen! irc://irc.foonetic.net/netkeen
Stay classy, Scarlet.
Ha, you really are a fucling legend aren't you you neocon netnanny.
By jove... You have exceptional taste in games, Scarlet!
GARGapplesauce
Applesauce in Chief

Post by GARGapplesauce »

I'd like to apologize for leaving for so long without even mentioning it... I've been going through a lot in both my school and personal lives, and haven't really had time for being a part of the community.

This post should double more or less as a final (for now) update on the status of this mod, as well as my goodbye (for now) from the forums.

Looking back on my posts from when I get here, it's pretty obvious that this was the first online community in which I participated. It's still the only one in which I am really active. "Dumbass" is really the only word that I could apply to myself as far as the Internet goes back in '10. I'd really like to apologize for my conduct here, from the excessive double posting, spamming emotikeens, being involved in flamewars both on the board and in the IRC, complaning about op status on said IRC, and the nonstop onslaught of help requests towards the modders. It doesn't show much of the maturity I can actually command when I choose. I sort of gave myself a bad reputation before even doing anything here, and really wish I'd seen it at the time. I feel that I've gotten better as the time has passed, but the damage was irreparable... in my eyes at least :/

Continuing with the theme of short-sightedness and immaturity, I embarked on an adventurous project, which I had extremely high hopes for... again and again I've come to the realization that this would take a lot longer than I thought it was, and that my progress was not nearly what I'd expected. I've lost interest so many times and now is no exception. I'm disappointed, but I've fallen victim to the exact syndrome described in Tulip's first reply to me on this board...
tulip wrote:Welcome and good luck with that project. I hope you'll finish it because barely ever someone finishes a Galaxy mod. That's why we have only Ceilick's full mods so far. It's not that others didn't start Galaxy mods, only they never finished them (Yeah I know Xky's and Benvolio's Mini Keen 4 mods). So before you make plans for a Dreams mod, concentrate 100% on this mod.
I feel bad given how much time I DID put into this project, but it's still nowhere near where it should be, and as I've said, I've taken on many other commitments during my hiatus from this community. Ceilick... I don't know how you ever managed to make one of these mods, much less three plus a ton of Vorticons mods, but I assure you as well as everyone else that I haven't the time or patience now. Long story short, I've more or less stopped work on this mod. That's not to say that I may not return to it every now and again, but I wouldn't look for anything serious. That being said, I'm aware that plenty of you have lost faith in the project entirely, and my being gone for so long likely didn't help. I'd also like to apologize to all of the many people who have contributed to this project and given me so much help. MOM4Evr for your music, VBB for your backgrounds, lemm and mink for your helpfulness in answering my nearly endless set of questions, Ceilick, tulip, eros, levellass, Gridlock... I know you all have your own projects and this likely doesn't make that big of a deal (nor does it come as a surprise). Regardless, I still feel guilty for asking so much of all of you in vain. Again, It know it's just a mod, its not a big deal, but still I try to follow through on things like this and its more a personal disappointment than anything.

Finally, I'd like to bring up my departure from the community as a whole (I'm sure you're SO disappointed... ahh, the beauty of sarcasm.) Again, I wish I could have made better use of the time I spent here, I could have been a much better contributor. A lot of changes have come up recently in this forum and its really just not the same place it was, or perhaps I'm just not the same kind of user. Regardless, I have no real desire to hang along any longer. Keen has always been a fun experience to me, and a part of my childhood, but I really don't have a whole lot of need for it anymore. I've moved on to a lot of other interests. So yeah umm... like plenty before me, I'll be leaving. If I ever come back, it'll probably be to announce something about the mod, so it'll be unlikely that I return.

Sorry again, and thanks for everything. Happy Keening everybody. :)
-GARGapplesauce
Combine Garg and Apples in a bowl, simmer over medium heat for several years. Season with a pinch of regret.
VikingBoyBilly
Vorticon Elite
Location: The spaghetti island of the faces of dinosaur world for a vacation

Post by VikingBoyBilly »

When you come back, we'll be here waiting. I find it's sometimes better to stop working on a mod and come back when you're motivated than to force yourself to rush it and push out a sub-par product. You don't have to apologize for our contributions (or mine at least). I usually work only with sprites and individual tiles. Entire backgrounds was alien territory I didn't feel confident with (I have many fail attempts at skybox textures). The chungella landscapes were trials I wanted to undertake to make myself a better artist. I don't feel like it's a wasted experience.

You're still a young one, no need to hurry. This isn't like Duke Nukem Forever. You aren't enraging paying fans who are expecting a concrete deadline.
"I don't trust players. Not one bit." - Levellass
Keening_Product
Kuliwho?

GARGapplesauce wrote:nonstop onslaught of help requests towards the modders.
I wouldn't say that was all that out of place :P

And to Keenerise VBB's comment: It took around a decade for (an albeit (well made) fan mod of) The Universe is Toast to come out - I hope you return to this, and enjoy returning to it, at some point in the next decade :) It's not wasted time anyway - understanding the world needs experience of it, and that's what you have got from this.

MOM4Evr
Vortininja

Post by MOM4Evr »

Haha, thinking about old projects I myself never finished made me remember this mod... :P

No worries, Garg. It's not exactly like I spent actual time making the music... I just converted some MIDI's I had laying around into whatever the format is (I can't even remember anymore myself...), and uploaded someplace. No biggie.

Oh, for the record, if anybody else wants to use the music I made (provided Garg isn't going to use it, and provided download links are still up, which they likely aren't...), feel free to use it anyplace. Just give credit, don't charge money, that sorta thing.

Needless to say, I'm not terribly active on the forums anymore either, but may come on IRC once in a while...

Toodles,
MOM
szemi
Vorticon Elite

Post by szemi »

Any updates?
Keening_Product
Kuliwho?

szemi wrote:Any updates?
Don't bump old posts for questions like that without re-reading the rest of the thread.
GARGapplesauce wrote:Finally, I'd like to bring up my departure from the community as a whole (I'm sure you're SO disappointed... ahh, the beauty of sarcasm.) Again, I wish I could have made better use of the time I spent here, I could have been a much better contributor. A lot of changes have come up recently in this forum and its really just not the same place it was, or perhaps I'm just not the same kind of user. Regardless, I have no real desire to hang along any longer. Keen has always been a fun experience to me, and a part of my childhood, but I really don't have a whole lot of need for it anymore. I've moved on to a lot of other interests. So yeah umm... like plenty before me, I'll be leaving. If I ever come back, it'll probably be to announce something about the mod, so it'll be unlikely that I return.

szemi
Vorticon Elite

Post by szemi »

Keening_Product wrote:
szemi wrote:Any updates?
Don't bump old posts for questions like that without re-reading the rest of the thread.
GARGapplesauce wrote:Finally, I'd like to bring up my departure from the community as a whole (I'm sure you're SO disappointed... ahh, the beauty of sarcasm.) Again, I wish I could have made better use of the time I spent here, I could have been a much better contributor. A lot of changes have come up recently in this forum and its really just not the same place it was, or perhaps I'm just not the same kind of user. Regardless, I have no real desire to hang along any longer. Keen has always been a fun experience to me, and a part of my childhood, but I really don't have a whole lot of need for it anymore. I've moved on to a lot of other interests. So yeah umm... like plenty before me, I'll be leaving. If I ever come back, it'll probably be to announce something about the mod, so it'll be unlikely that I return.
I've read, so theme's closed.
GARGapplesauce
Applesauce in Chief

Post by GARGapplesauce »

Well, here on the US East coast, the sun's just set on what is apparently our last day on Earth. In the eventuality that we all live, I figured I might as well work on SOMETHING with all the time I'll suddenly have... since school isn't enough or anything.

Yeah, just kidding about the apocalypse stuff but I decided I'd start work AGAIN, but I'm a bit more confident for a variety of reasons.

1) I'm slightly better with graphics now. SLIGHTLY. I hope the redesigned title screen provides some evidence to this- not to say that it's good, or even finished per se, expecially the right section, but it's better than the old one in my opinion, so hey it's somewhere to start.

2) I'm slightly better organized. SLIGHTLY. I'm hoping to make use of keengraph, and given that I've not got an ordered, list of tasks to complete, that sounds like some form of organization to me.

3) I'm significantly more busy than last time. SIGNIFICANTLY. I've started at an IB high school and first term is just about over... it's not getting any less time-consuming. Because of this, I'd have to be a total moron to set any deadlines for myself, so don't expect any. I believe this to be positive because deadlines have been the bane of this project's existence.

4) The aforementioned order of doing stuff puts level design first. This will allow me to get a fairly significantly sized task to the top of my priorities, and allow me to eventually complete graphics faster cuz I won't be worrying about where I'm going with it. After they're done I'll apply the new graphics and make any custom tiles the levels may need.

5) I'm back to my original idea of minimal patching and other things that will cause bugs and complicate sh*t until the very end. I was never looking for something advanced in any way, at this point I just want to make something playable and a bit keenish.

{EDIT: 6) I'm keeping any of the graphics, tilesets, backgrounds, music, etc. that I already have because I like them and, with some changes where necessary, will fit in when I need them.}

And with that *tapes ribbon back together* *cuts ribbon* work begins again. This will take a while, but hopefully I can make... well, something. I don't plan on showing too much in case this all crumbles back down again, and anything I show is bound to be edited and revised and changed until I can eventually can get it looking... what's that weird thing? Oh yeah, "acceptable." Again, I cite the title screen. It's the first thing I want to show and its kinda the only thing I've done, but I'm about to begin setting up everything else to get ready for the extensive leveling process.

If anyone's still got anything to say at this point... yeah. Thanks everyone.

New screen:

If anyone actually preferred the old one, let me know...
Combine Garg and Apples in a bowl, simmer over medium heat for several years. Season with a pinch of regret.
Nospike
Keen Minecrafter

Post by Nospike »

Garg! You're back! :birthday
So, the title screen. Iunno, I think I actually preferred the old one. This one is decent too but feels a little non-keenish since it's divided. As for the graphics work itself, it's a rather large improvement. Keep up the good work (I shouldn't be saying this but... :p ) and good luck in high school.
Scarlet
Vorticon Elite

Post by Scarlet »

I like both. The left corner one reminds me of axtroxian realm, a sort of dark atmosphere.
Join us for netkeen! irc://irc.foonetic.net/netkeen
Stay classy, Scarlet.
Ha, you really are a fucling legend aren't you you neocon netnanny.
By jove... You have exceptional taste in games, Scarlet!
Roobar
Vorticon Elite

Post by Roobar »

Where's the old one?
troublesomekeen
Vorticon Elite

Post by troublesomekeen »

wiivn wrote:Where's the old one?
If I'm not mistaking, it looked something like this:
Last edited by troublesomekeen on Tue Jul 11, 2017 20:11, edited 1 time in total.
Commander Keen in... Canteloupe Quest!
GARGapplesauce
Applesauce in Chief

Post by GARGapplesauce »

Nospike wrote:So, the title screen. Iunno, I think I actually preferred the old one. This one is decent too but feels a little non-keenish since it's divided.
Scarlet wrote:I like both. The left corner one reminds me of axtroxian realm, a sort of dark atmosphere.
Yea I actually agree with Nospike not because of the division necessarily but because of Scarlet's comment. I ought to actually shade the left one in more, it's not exactly the style I'm going for, the mod isn't to be that dark, as much as I like that style, but was aiming for something more in between like the mockup I had earlier in the topic, graphics from which will be tweaked and used in this version. I'll post a different version of the title screen when I get one done...

And yeah the one troublesomekeen posted is the old one.