Valentine's Keen

Here is where to post about the latest Commander Keen fangame or modification you've finished, a new website you've made, or another Keen-related creation.
Syllypryde
Vorticon Elite

Post by Syllypryde »

Levellass wrote:Reuploaded to fix the more serious bugs. (I accidentally released the last gamma maps, not the actual completely debugged maps. Oh dear...)
I will re-download soon and I'll let you know what is fixed and what is not. Plus I might comment on other subtle improvements with the update.
.........(This is however why WIE will not use multiple level streets like this, also, the perspective got a bit messy.)
Despite how messy it might have been, I thought it was a kick-ass idea. It definitely has great potential. You even took it a step further and allowed Keen to step into a front yard or two. What would have been even cooler was to actually walk into any of those houses (other then Keen's own home.). The council member replacements could have been applied here. The replacements would be nothing more than someone who actually lives in that house. In the "council member" dialog that person could tell Keen to "Get the hell out of my house!!!". Later in the level, one or two monster replacements could again be a resident of the house with a weapon (i.e. baseball bat), trying to physically force you out of their house!
Aaah, there's the kind of bug I feared!
Which I assume will now me fixed in the re-download. On the subject of Witch's Cottage, when I took the broom ride to The Void, Keen goes off screen. Even after completing the level and after saving and reloading, Keen is still off screen and I cannot get the map to scroll to where Keen actually is on the map.
I cannot reproduce this glitch. Does it happen on all difficulties? Do you lose a life? Does this occur in Old Shack or the Cavern (Which would make it a sprite error of an annoying kind.)
This glitch has only occurred in the Tomb Hall so far. Easy is the only difficulty I have played so far, so I cannot report what happens on the harder skill levels yet. I never lost a life because of it. I just had to keep starting the level over and over again at the very beginning. I was in God mode at the time, Dosbox was been messing up on me lately and my computer had not been rebooted in days. Once I rebooted and kept God mode off, I have not seen the glitch since. I have not noticed any bugs in The Cavern of Despair yet, and the only bug I have encountered in The Old Shack is the one I reported in my previous post.

A few other questions, nitpicks or concerns:
---As Benvolio mentioned, there are areas in several levels where Keen can prematurely exit the level. Was this intentional? If so, it is no big deal.

---Also in several levels, one or more keys are not needed to reach the exit because in a few rooms there is another path into them other than through the locked door. Was this intentional?

---The houses at the beginning (other then Keen's) are they levels or just part of the scenery? Once Keen enters the Graveyard Hills where the other levels are can Keen ever return to the neighborhood?

---I found a clipping error In the Dark. There is one kind of clipping error where Keen grabs onto a ledge to pull himself up and the tiles are not high enough between the ground Keen is now standing on and the roof above. As a result Keen will "slide" horizontally across the screen until he reaches an area where the tiles are high enough or go to the edge of the level and exit it. This is what happens here. I am not exactly sure where it is, but it is somewhere at the top middle of the screen.

---In Castle Ramenstein I am assuming there is a proper exit to leave through or the Wetsuit replacement (the book?) that most be found in the level, or I have to keep replaying the level until I do because I cannot go anywhere else until I do? There are in-level clues, but I cannot seem to make it past this level. I also assume this level leads to the boss level (Chuck's Liair)?

So far I have completed Meadow Trail, Graveyard, Pumpkin Patch, Tomb Hall, Slimy Swamp, Dead Forest, Boneyard, Bonepile Crypt, The Cavern of Despair, Broom Ride, In the Dark, The Blaze Household, Penny Lane, Bourke Street, and Carpe Jugulum on easy.
.niarb ym fo
snoitulovnoc eht tuaba
selbbarcs ssensuoicsnoc
rehgih a ekil smees
Levellass
S-Triazine

Post by Levellass »

Which I assume will now me fixed in the re-download. On the subject of Witch's Cottage, when I took the broom ride to The Void, Keen goes off screen. Even after completing the level and after saving and reloading, Keen is still off screen and I cannot get the map to scroll to where Keen actually is on the map.
This was fixed in the reupload, te Foot on map is harder to fiddle than it looks.

A few other questions, nitpicks or concerns:
---As Benvolio mentioned, there are areas in several levels where Keen can prematurely exit the level. Was this intentional? If so, it is no big deal.

---Also in several levels, one or more keys are not needed to reach the exit because in a few rooms there is another path into them other than through the locked door. Was this intentional?

---The houses at the beginning (other then Keen's) are they levels or just part of the scenery? Once Keen enters the Graveyard Hills where the other levels are can Keen ever return to the neighborhood?
- There are several ways to complete several levels. In some levels you can use an 'extra' gem to get a bonus instead of opening a door. In others you can exit 'early'

- The houses at the start are just scenery, though there is space for another house level set aside. Once Keen has passed his house, that's it, he can never go back...

---I found a clipping error In the Dark. There is one kind of clipping error where Keen grabs onto a ledge to pull himself up and the tiles are not high enough between the ground Keen is now standing on and the roof above.
Can you get a screenshot, or I'll never be able to find the exact spot.

---In Castle Ramenstein I am assuming there is a proper exit to leave through or the Wetsuit replacement (the book?)
You'll need to find the purple book. To do this you'll need to go to the right of the level and open a bridge, then go down. This level will take you to the boss level when you get the book.

so I looked at it... as it was hopping around... and my finger was on the fire button... and... and...
Now all the puppies will be against you.
What you really need, not what you think you ought to want.
Syllypryde
Vorticon Elite

Post by Syllypryde »

Levellass wrote:This was fixed in the reupload, te Foot on map is harder to fiddle than it looks.
Witch's Cottage is STILL unplayable and The Old Shack is STILL unsolvable, both by the same bugs I reported earlier.
There are several ways to complete several levels. In some levels you can use an 'extra' gem to get a bonus instead of opening a door. In others you can exit 'early'......
This is cool because it gives the player options. He can finish the level early or explore. I prefer to explore.
Can you get a screenshot, or I'll never be able to find the exact spot.
I am not sure anymore if this really is a clipping error. I have replayed In the Dark several times and this 'clipping error' is the only way out of the level I can find. I have no idea how to do a screenshot, otherwise I would.
You'll need to find the purple book. To do this you'll need to go to the right of the level and open a bridge, then go down. This level will take you to the boss level when you get the book.
I am STILL stuck on this level. I just cannot figure it out. I noticed three yellow keys and three yellow key holders. One of the key holders is underneath a bridge that is right next to the four switches (a hint says 'pick 3'), but I cannot figure out how to open this bridge. It looks like it could lead to the book. When I get the key at the far right, it immediately opens a door that leads to three switches. The first and last switches have red x's by them and the middle switch has an arrow indicating to flip that switch. Once I do that I go back to the area where the 'eyes' give a hint, two keys, a key holder, and two doors. At the top door, the bridge I opened with the 'arrow switch' is behind that door, but I cannot figure out how to open that door. This also looks like it could lead to the book. The first two key holders are behind doors. The key next to the 'eyes' opens both of those doors, and the key near the right key holder opens a door just underneath a chasm. When I flip switch 3 (pick 3), it opens a bridge that is above a large chasm full of spears and spikes. I KNOW this leads to the book, but it is impossible to drop down there without dying, or am I missing something? I could not get past the spears and spikes without god mode.

One other question, you mentioned there was space set aside for a house level. Would this house level be Fan's House or Old Mr. Kimple's House by any chance or are one of these levels already in the game and I just have not found it yet?
.niarb ym fo
snoitulovnoc eht tuaba
selbbarcs ssensuoicsnoc
rehgih a ekil smees
Levellass
S-Triazine

Post by Levellass »

Witch's Cottage is STILL unplayable and The Old Shack is STILL unsolvable, both by the same bugs I reported earlier.
If you have fasterfox, adblock or flashblock, open the download link in a new tab, otherwise the old version (Stored in your cache) will be re-downloaded. The download link should most definitely provide you with a new version, one, with a patch file size of 104'952 bytes, smaller than the original release.

I am not sure anymore if this really is a clipping error. I have replayed In the Dark several times and this 'clipping error' is the only way out of the level I can find. I have no idea how to do a screenshot, otherwise I would.
1.) Ctrl + F5 in DosBox

2.) Printscr, go into paint, paste

3.) Screenthief ctrl + F

Keen should be able to exit the dark level at the very right of the level, after going through 5 doors. There is a sign that says exit.

I am STILL stuck on this level.
SPOILERS: To beat In The Dark:

1.) Start, move right, you will fall down a crack, or move further right past the bat and fall down.

2.) There will be a door with a bat just above it, and also a zombie spawner. Go through this door.

3.) You will fall from a ceiling near the top of the level onto a door. Do not go through this door, go right and down a bit, very near by is another door and a zombie. Go through this door.

4.) you will now be at the right edge of a level, in the leftmost of two doors, with a bat and some red-white candy. Go into the door you just emerged from.

5.) You are now in the exit room, go right.

To beat the castle: (Simplest of 3 paths.)

1.) Go over the bridge and through the door.

2.) Go right a bit to the hint. Grab a key, all doors will open.

3.) Go to the ghost poles just above where you entered. Then go right to the hint that says 'Jump'

4.) Move right using the platforms and avoiding the spike balls.

5.) You are now at the fireplace, go right to the bridge with 3 switches, flip the marked one.

6.) Either retrace your steps or go into the fireplace.

7.) All doors are still open, go past the grandfather clock and the bridge right of the hint, the bridge *after* this is now open.

8.) Drop down and go right, flip the switch past the (second) grandfather clock.

9.) The bridge below where you fell from is now open. Go right and down to the room with a cross in it. There is door in it, go through it.

10.) Grab the book, level won.
Grimson
The Dragoner

Post by Grimson »

Oh Glob, this mod is mathematical! I feel Billy's a bit too attached to Johnny, having a poster of him in his house. Maybe he's jealous? Anyway, the graphics blend incredibly well with those uh...borrowed from Monster Bash, and the patching is impressive. My only critique so far goes to Keen's jerky motion, the broom's difficult controls, and Keen's inability to throw rocks while climbing poles. Also, zombies, zombies everywhere.

One more thing. Once you've summoned the broom, how do you get off of it?

Oh and one MORE thing. The Dead Forest was a pretty dang long level. I didn't even realize where the exit was until after exploring the level for an hour :old I hate those werewolvelings, I really do.

P.S. Did you use the dead Keen image somewhere in this mod? I'm curious, that's all.
"All those thousands upon thousands of junk foods made for me on the various planets I explored make me wonder how I'm still alive."
Bernie
Vorticon Elite

Post by Bernie »

levellass, i played only a few levels of this so far (i think the first/early release of it), but all i can say of it is that i like the patching you did (thats basically your thing afterall) but the rest of it is umm... so-so. i just dont like stuff stolen from other games :/ just feels amature. but were you trying to go for an all-out keen/monster bash cross over? cause if so, then fair enough.

i like the suburb part of the map level and keen's house level, but to me they dont mesh well with the horror levels after. feels a bit like there are two different styles, or two different mods, going on.

also about the level design- i noticed, atleast with one level, i basically just ran past everything to the exit, and to me... ehhh. i know i read some other people seemed to like it though, but personally its not my thing. felt like the level wasnt properly playtested and i was accidentally able to bypass it all.

and btw, why is it horror themed and called a valentine's day mod? i was envisioning keen shooting cherubs and riding big swans.

anyways, just my 2 cents.

PS i love the What Is Love midi ;) great song.
mortimer
Blistering Barnacles

Post by mortimer »

:garg :garg :garg :garg :garg
Last edited by mortimer on Sun Jul 12, 2020 20:31, edited 1 time in total.
Billions of blue blistering barnacles in a thousand thundering typhoons!
Syllypryde
Vorticon Elite

Post by Syllypryde »

Levellass wrote:If you have fasterfox, adblock or flashblock, open the download link in a new tab, otherwise the old version (Stored in your cache) will be re-downloaded. The download link should most definitely provide you with a new version, one, with a patch file size of 104'952 bytes, smaller than the original release.
I cleared the Internet cache and deleted the previous downloads of the game. The new download works fine. The Old Shack is fixed, Witch's Cottage is fixed, the broom ride from that level to The Void is fixed, AND one other bug was fixed that I will mention a little later in this post.
1.) Ctrl + F5 in DosBox

2.) Printscr, go into paint, paste

3.) Screenthief ctrl + F......
I will try to get you a screenshot soon.
SPOILERS: To beat In The Dark:......
Thank you for this.
......To beat the castle: (Simplest of 3 paths.)

1.) Go over the bridge and through the door.

2.) Go right a bit to the hint. Grab a key, all doors will open......
This is the 'other bug' I was referring to. When I grabbed the key by the 'eyes' only the doors near the two yellow key holders would open. The door leading to the three switches opened when I grabbed the key above. When I grabbed the key next to the door where the bridge opens with the 'arrow' switch, it opened a door below the arrowhead and spike chasm. The door blocking that open bridge NEVER opened. It is now fixed with the new upload. The arrowhead and spike chasm I said was impossible is actually possible, although it took load-save and several deaths to do it. That is probably the hardest of the three paths. I do not know where the third path is.
.niarb ym fo
snoitulovnoc eht tuaba
selbbarcs ssensuoicsnoc
rehgih a ekil smees
biffstudly
Vortininja

Post by biffstudly »

Grimson wrote:Oh Glob, this mod is mathematical! I feel Billy's a bit too attached to Johnny, having a poster of him in his house. Maybe he's jealous? Anyway, the graphics blend incredibly well with those uh...borrowed from Monster Bash, and the patching is impressive. My only critique so far goes to Keen's jerky motion, the broom's difficult controls, and Keen's inability to throw rocks while climbing poles. Also, zombies, zombies everywhere.

Oh and one MORE thing. The Dead Forest was a pretty dang long level. I didn't even realize where the exit was until after exploring the level for an hour :old I hate those werewolvelings, I really do.

P.S. Did you use the dead Keen image somewhere in this mod? I'm curious, that's all.

I'm sorry this is totally off topic, but Grimson, that's an amazing Finn avatar, and

Makin' pancakes, makin' bacon pancakes, you take the bacon and you put it in a pancake, bacon pancakes that's what it's gonna make, bacon pancaaaaakes!
Levellass
S-Triazine

Post by Levellass »

I agree. In fact, I should much like if someone could make me a bacon pancakes item.

Oh Glob, this mod is mathematical! I feel Billy's a bit too attached to Johnny, having a poster of him in his house. Maybe he's jealous? Anyway, the graphics blend incredibly well with those uh...borrowed from Monster Bash, and the patching is impressive. My only critique so far goes to Keen's jerky motion, the broom's difficult controls, and Keen's inability to throw rocks while climbing poles. Also, zombies, zombies everywhere.
You're using the para graphics then, in the non-Para version it's a different poster. (Also it's not Keen's room.)

The jerky motion can be eased with the fix jerky motion option, it and the broom controls were perennial... not problems, but annoyances there was no way around. (Besides, if broom flying were easy you'd do it all the time!)

If you play in hard mode the maximum number of zombies that will spawn in the course of playing all the levels is (or should be.) 314'315.

You don't, though I could have whipped up a disembark point if I had wanted too. Yep, Keen has to crash his broom each time he wants to get off. (It's his first time on a magic piece of wood, he's not that good at it.)

Oh and one MORE thing. The Dead Forest was a pretty dang long level. I didn't even realize where the exit was until after exploring the level for an hour Old Keen I hate those werewolvelings, I really do.
That's Para's doing, and yes it's a solid one. This is why it's possible to sneak past it on the map. I personally rank this as my favorite level.

The wolves can be beat by standing on the pumpkins, jumping between them and firing down. (Jump and down shoot is also a good way of getting rid of single wolves.)

i tried to insert it into the 'didn't make it past' window, but with no luck. Maybe in WIE...

but the rest of it is umm... so-so. i just dont like stuff stolen from other games :/ just feels amature. but were you trying to go for an all-out keen/monster bash cross over? cause if so, then fair enough.
Yep, intentional crossover\homage. Tried in fact to get everything from MB in there in some form.

i like the suburb part of the map level and keen's house level, but to me they dont mesh well with the horror levels after. feels a bit like there are two different styles, or two different mods, going on.
That's the idea, I was aiming for disconcert.

also about the level design- i noticed, atleast with one level, i basically just ran past everything to the exit, and to me... ehhh. i know i read some other people seemed to like it though, but personally its not my thing. felt like the level wasnt properly playtested and i was accidentally able to bypass it all.

You can, if you run and dodge, finish the game in about 6 minutes, fleeing from everything. If you want to stand and fight you'll have to man up and take your time.

The arrowhead and spike chasm I said was impossible is actually possible, although it took load-save and several deaths to do it. That is probably the hardest of the three paths. I do not know where the third path is.
I'm not saying either. But kudos on the chasm; my first complete playthrough took me 12 deaths. (Though I'd tested all its components.)
Bubbatom
Vorticon Elite

Post by Bubbatom »

Um...er.

Booted this up the other day and was surprised to find a Keen-Monster Bash cross-over. Much more Halloween than Valentines in my opinion. The only real Valentine aspects of the game, that I've come across are the title screen, the intro story text, the Meadow trail level and the "What is Love" IMF.
I enjoyed exploring the Blaze's place and was good to see how it differed from my version. Meadow Trail was certainly my favourite level, real nice. But after that level, the rest of what I'm up to in the game was incredibly difficult, especially in the way of enemies. Those wolves and the bloody pumpkin heads!
Patching was excelent and makes me a tad jealous as I won't be able to recreate the amount of patchs used in this mod with any of my own.
I had the game crash a couple of times and it even went to a static-y mess at one point, but that didn't put me off.

Quite a decent mod, and well worth the wait. I'm only about half way through at the moment, and am looking forward to the rest.
Grimson
The Dragoner

Post by Grimson »

Bubbatom wrote:Image
Um...er.
ROFL! Keen's brother (?) must've been careless with that milkshake.
The jerky motion can be eased with the fix jerky motion option, it and the broom controls were perennial... not problems, but annoyances there was no way around. (Besides, if broom flying were easy you'd do it all the time!)
I tried the fix option before posting, with no avail. It's nothing serious, though.

Oh, and I realized after posting that the room must belong to Billy's little sister. :dopefish
Makin' pancakes, makin' bacon pancakes, you take the bacon and you put it in a pancake, bacon pancakes that's what it's gonna make, bacon pancaaaaakes!
On a tropical island, underneath the molten lava moon, hanging with the hula dancers asking questions 'cuz they got all the answers. (My favourite!)
"All those thousands upon thousands of junk foods made for me on the various planets I explored make me wonder how I'm still alive."
Boreas249
Vortininja

Post by Boreas249 »

Um...er.
Uhh...
*tilts head* umm...

... is that... what I think it is?
Roobar
Vorticon Elite

Post by Roobar »

*About that on the wall... That's just a smashed albino spider. They're very rare u know.

& the Nine Inch Nails poster and the 69 t-shirt. I think Paramultart might be involved into these :).
Bernie
Vorticon Elite

Post by Bernie »

*About that on the wall... That's just a smashed albino spider. They're very rare u know.
yeah there simply isnt enough cum stains in keen games. someone make a cum mod.
:confused