Valentine's Keen

Here is where to post about the latest Commander Keen fangame or modification you've finished, a new website you've made, or another Keen-related creation.
troublesomekeen
Vorticon Elite

Post by troublesomekeen »

NY00123 wrote:- Is it just me, or pole climbing stutters a bit, in comparison to vanilla Keen 4 (the motion I mean)? Note that it *might* be more noticeable with Vertical Sync in effect... in some way.
Ah, same here. I have to double-tap the Down key to slide down poles. It's a real killer too, because of those spikes and spearheads.
Commander Keen in... Canteloupe Quest!
Syllypryde
Vorticon Elite

Post by Syllypryde »

troublesomekeen wrote:
NY00123 wrote:- Is it just me, or pole climbing stutters a bit, in comparison to vanilla Keen 4 (the motion I mean)? Note that it *might* be more noticeable with Vertical Sync in effect... in some way.
Ah, same here. I have to double-tap the Down key to slide down poles. It's a real killer too, because of those spikes and spearheads.
It can be a pain at times, but for the most part I was able to deal with the jerky motion on poles as well as jumping and walking. The broom rides were most definitely hard to control.
.niarb ym fo
snoitulovnoc eht tuaba
selbbarcs ssensuoicsnoc
rehgih a ekil smees
Levellass
S-Triazine

Post by Levellass »

Indeed, it's why I included several 'practice' levels.

I just don't get this mod - started it on easy skill - and it just lacks enemies....it's like 1-2 enemies per level.... is something wrong? Or is it justa beta?
Wait for the later levels friend,there's more enemies there.

The edge of map bug can be triggered in Keen 4as well if you're persistent enough. It's just something that happens.

- Near the entrance to "The Blaze Housebold" (message: "Keen goes home"...), on the bottom-right corner of the house, there's a little glitch.
Which is...? And is it in the level or the map?

- On an ordinary level, while keen is moving left/right *and* jumping (but not with the pogo), he is shaking.
Going to upload an attempt jerk fix. tell me how that works out.

- In "The Blaze Housebold" itself, after entering the rooftop: Why is there a need to activate the Jump+Down combo in order to get down - twice?
That's how the tile properties work. I am so sorry that this extra button push has given you carpel tunnel syndrome.

- Also, about looking up: Any reason doing so gets halted by, I suppose, some animation?
It stops Keen being able to cheat his way through several levels by standing on air, a.k.a the Miragia glitch.

- (LATE ADDITION) You may move backwards while riding on the broomstick. Tried tapping the "jump" key?
Aaah someone found the secret broomstick trick!

Have attempted bug fixes for other glitches. Tell me what remains in the latest upload.
What you really need, not what you think you ought to want.
Flaose
Vorticon Elder

Post by Flaose »

The newest version is jerky for me now, whereas previous plays were not...though it may just be the fact that I'm using a different rig.

Some observations:
-the fact that Keen's house is one-way is kind of disappointing.
-Bourke St. has a Bourbon St. sign
-Entering the first path on Bourke St. immediately ends the level, which is kind of disappointing.
-"KOWN ISSUES AND BUGS"
-This mod is awesome
Cerebral Cortex 314 - For All of your Commander Keen Needs.
Eat at Joe's
Boreas249
Vortininja

Post by Boreas249 »

Flaose wrote: -the fact that Keen's house is one-way is kind of disappointing.
Well... not to shoot you down, I mean I don't really like that either... but I think it should stay that way... serves as a "Point of No Return." Besides, not too much more exploration to do anyway (would be nice to see where the BwB Megarocket is hidden though, unless I'm missing something, as in it's actually there somewhere hidden already, I just haven't found it...)
thehackercat
Yorp Doctor

Post by thehackercat »

I feel like this is a dumb question, but then again I'm at the limits of my patience and understanding.

How are you supposed to use the broomstick? It has never worked for me, whether on the original download or the fixed version. Standing on the hex/pentagram doesn't do anything. The only time it ever worked was as a result of the early Witch's Cottage bug.
Roobar
Vorticon Elite

Post by Roobar »

I don't like that either. The first time I played this game, I explored the map without entering levels. I moved through the house and then I wasn't able to move back. First I thought it was a bug, but then I realized it was part of the design. Some kind of differentiation between uniquely designed town map and a regular design? What a bad idea. If it wasn't my curiosity to return back, I would've been missing a big part of the game. And even if there is some kind of purpose for this one-way-through, which I cannot see, there's always the load/restart/cheats way to return back. So the question is why one-way and why are you forcing us to use restart, load or cheats to return to this part? Imo this one-way is pointless and shouldn't be there.
Levellass
S-Triazine

Post by Levellass »

I shall take a vote then, who wants the one-way house to stay, and who wants it to go?

How are you supposed to use the broomstick? It has never worked for me, whether on the original download or the fixed version. Standing on the hex/pentagram doesn't do anything. The only time it ever worked was as a result of the early Witch's Cottage bug.
how long did you stand there? you've got to wait until Keen get's bored. if that doesn't work, then your computer hates you.

-Bourke St. has a Bourbon St. sign
<.<

>.>

*Empties bottle*
Boreas249
Vortininja

Post by Boreas249 »

Well... if you do... then make it so what we can go through the house level at will.

*starts a new game and begins the (possibly fruitless) hunt for the Megarocket*
Levellass
S-Triazine

Post by Levellass »

There were some bugs with level entry and such in earlier versions, but the later updates should indeed have the BWB, with a surprise for Keen that will make total sense... at the end of my next next mod. (The BWB is exactly where you'd expect it to be.)
Flaose
Vorticon Elder

Post by Flaose »

Since you asked, Levellass, I wouldn't mind if Keen's House was a point of no return provided that you are forced to play the level instead of being able to walk right through it.
Cerebral Cortex 314 - For All of your Commander Keen Needs.
Eat at Joe's
Nospike
Keen Minecrafter

Post by Nospike »

Flaose's idea would work, or you could somehow make it graphically obvious that it's a one-way route. When I first played the game I missed all the neighborhood levels which was kind of a bummer because I loved them when I started a new game.
NY00123
Vorticon Elite

Post by NY00123 »

Levellass wrote:
- Near the entrance to "The Blaze Housebold" (message: "Keen goes home"...), on the bottom-right corner of the house, there's a little glitch.
Which is...? And is it in the level or the map?
I refer to the house on the map. Try moving Keen into the bottom-right corner and you'll see it moving in a jerky way into the same corner. I suppose that the relevant tile properties should include "block from below" (i.e. a ceiling) and not anything diagonal.
Levellass wrote:
- In "The Blaze Housebold" itself, after entering the rooftop: Why is there a need to activate the Jump+Down combo in order to get down - twice?
That's how the tile properties work. I am so sorry that this extra button push has given you carpel tunnel syndrome.
I can see what you're hinting at... :bloody
Levellass wrote:
- Also, about looking up: Any reason doing so gets halted by, I suppose, some animation?
It stops Keen being able to cheat his way through several levels by standing on air, a.k.a the Miragia glitch.
Now that's a useful workaround!
Levellass wrote:Have attempted bug fixes for other glitches. Tell me what remains in the latest upload.
I may have less time to play very soon, if not "just" soon. So, guess I'd check the updated pack a bit right now, at least after completing the level and... well I shouldn't spoil what I've already done "unintentionally"...
Levellass
S-Triazine

Post by Levellass »

Right, right. Amazing the little issues you spot. I know who my next beta tester is for sure! Bug has been reduced.
Boreas249
Vortininja

Post by Boreas249 »

Found you and Ceilick, and the game froze in the Cavern of Despair. Probably just a one-time thing though, it happened a few times in other mods...

I'm actually trying hard to hold off on beating this until you've finished all the bugfixes and whatnot, but it's kinda hard to resist playing this...

I saw a huge white mansion looking thing at one of the edges of the forest, I dared not enter yet... It looks... well, significant.....

EDIT: arrgh, game totally crashed in The Old Shack, error reads:

RF_PlaceSprite: Placed and uncached sprite:299

This happened while I was trying to get the broomstick.