Cheap Internet Security Software

A general chat area, here you can post anything that doesn't belong in another forum.
Rorie
Tru-Blu Aussie Born & Bred

Cheap Internet Security Software

Post by Rorie »

i am looking for cheap anti virus and internet security software. i am currently using avg free anti virus but i check out the prices for full avg software and it is expensive. but i check out avast and it is reasonable pricing like i can get 3 years protection for around A$90 avg does not even offer that. can anyone recommend some cheap internet security software but will not break the bank?
If you can't change the rules, challenge them, rules are made to be broken
Up yours Fleexy!
KeenEmpire
Intellectuality

Post by KeenEmpire »

Spybot
malwarebytes
linux
disabling javascript and plugins by default
common sense

Honestly, to some extent, you're just bleeding money for solutions whose effectiveness are not very clear. I wouldn't pay for such a thing - but that's just me.
"In order to ensure our security, and continuing stability, the Kingdom has been reorganized into the First Vorticon Intellectuality!" Image
Roobar
Vorticon Elite

Post by Roobar »

MS security essentials.
Rorie

Post by Rorie »

KeenEmpire wrote:Spybot
malwarebytes
linux
disabling javascript and plugins by default
common sense

Honestly, to some extent, you're just bleeding money for solutions whose effectiveness are not very clear. I wouldn't pay for such a thing - but that's just me.
so you are telling me that using malwarebytes and avg free (which i currently use now is good enough?) and that i am just flushing money down the toilet if i go for paid solutions?
Up yours Fleexy!
Levellass
S-Triazine

Post by Levellass »

I secure my firefox browser with adblock, flashblock and noscript. (I also disable java. Not javascript, Java. See here for why: http://www.slate.com/blogs/future_tense ... _now_.html )

I use Avast Antivirus for my computer which is free and pretty darn good.
What you really need, not what you think you ought to want.
KeenEmpire
Intellectuality

Post by KeenEmpire »

Rorie wrote: so you are telling me that using malwarebytes and avg free (which i currently use now is good enough?) and that i am just flushing money down the toilet if i go for paid solutions?
Damned if I know. Maybe you just happen to be some sort of edge case where free vs paid antivirus really does make a difference.

The problem is precisely that we don't know. And when we don't know, we tend to throw money at the problem assuming that, because we're spending extra money, it must be making a difference! But, in reality, perceived increased effectiveness may just as easily be placebo/security theatre of the type you see in airports. I'm not willing to spend money on something that (I can't tell) could just as easily be a placebo.

In reality, if you get an updated browser, disable javascript and plugins, your internet is probably already more secure than most out there. Firewall to make sure no crap is being pulled behind your back.
"In order to ensure our security, and continuing stability, the Kingdom has been reorganized into the First Vorticon Intellectuality!" Image
Rorie

Post by Rorie »

Levellass wrote: I use Avast Antivirus for my computer which is free and pretty darn good.
is avast better than avg? i have been considering making the move and if it is worth it
Up yours Fleexy!
Nospike
Keen Minecrafter

Post by Nospike »

I'm using a paid version of AVG. I must say, it's fast, doesn't eat up system resources, always up to date and minimum false alarms. As fast as free programs go, I'd go for Avira AntiVir. There are many positive reviews and IIRK even the paid version is cheap.
Rorie

Post by Rorie »

Nospike wrote:I'm using a paid version of AVG. I must say, it's fast, doesn't eat up system resources, always up to date and minimum false alarms. As fast as free programs go, I'd go for Avira AntiVir. There are many positive reviews and IIRK even the paid version is cheap.
i can have 3 years of avast's best protection for A$90 avira is asking over $100 and i do not even know what currency avira deals with, the exchange rate makes a big difference even if it is USD/AUD
Last edited by Rorie on Fri Jan 18, 2013 22:36, edited 1 time in total.
Up yours Fleexy!
Nospike
Keen Minecrafter

Post by Nospike »

Well try the free version of Avira instead of AVG for a while, see if you like it, then you can decide. I really liked it, too bad the free version only offers antivirus, antirootkit and realtime protection, so no firewall or antispyware. It's your call obviously. Avast isn't bad either but I don't really like the newest versions. And as for AVG, I'm subscribed to a pretty good computer magazine which has a 1 year or so paid AVG security pack license on every DVD so I can have it for free. It's one of the better antivirus programs for sure, as I said it's not that slow and I often forget that I even have it, that's how silent and unobtrusive it is.
Levellass
S-Triazine

Post by Levellass »

Can't comment on Avira, but I prefer Avast over AVG. On the other hand,my browsing habits aren't that dangerous. I had a friend furious at Avast because it kept saying all her free cursors she got online had Trojans in them, so she deleted it.
chrissifniotis
Vorticon Elite

Post by chrissifniotis »

I had Norton a couple years ago; solid defense but massive when it runs, slows the computer right down. It was also pretty expansive for its most secure package, avast by contrast is cheaper and with safer browsing the security is just as good and scans don't slow it down so much.

1000 points to avast. :p
Nospike
Keen Minecrafter

Post by Nospike »

Chris is right, Norton isn't actually bad either but it's insanely slow, it feels like your computer is about to die.
chrissifniotis
Vorticon Elite

Post by chrissifniotis »

Nospike wrote:...Norton isn't actually bad either but it's insanely slow, it feels like your computer is about to die.
Oh yea, the box was coughing, the monitor was bleeding, and between you and me-
>>
<<
I thought I heard Mortimer laughing in the distance.
:O

Norton's alright if you want so much security that you don't mind waiting ten minutes for a five minute video to download on YouTube. :dead
Levellass
S-Triazine

Post by Levellass »

Very few people realize that Norton works by making your computer so unattractive that other viruses don't want to run on it.