Commander Keen in "Botafloria Is Out Of Flowers"

You can discuss anything about fan-made Commander Keen games here.

Do you want the new raygun to have recoil?

Yes
62%
No
38%

Total votes: 13

Nospike
Keen Minecrafter

Post by Nospike »

That's actually a good idea. Right now I'm going for standard rocks to keep the environment "friendly" but bones could be a good addition to the later levels. Thanks!
Keening_Product
Kuliwho?

Post by Keening_Product »

Maybe make it fish bones if you want something child-friendly. Poor fish, though.
biffstudly wrote:Image
That's quite the boner you've drawn there.
Keening_Product was defeated before the game.

"Wise words. One day I may even understand what they mean." - Levellass
Nospike
Keen Minecrafter

Post by Nospike »

I meant something like a "why would there be bones or even damn fishbones below a peaceful meadow" kind of thing, though they could be a nice addition to the "second part" of the game or some cave levels. I'll see.
Just began making level 2. I made a few new tiles (or, well, edited some finished ones to be compatible with a dirt/grass background) and am about 25% done with it.
Levellass
S-Triazine

Post by Levellass »

Possibly there was once a stream through this meadow, I mean, things die all the time. The soil is full of bones. Put a dino in the dirt or something.
What you really need, not what you think you ought to want.
biffstudly
Vortininja

Post by biffstudly »

Levellass wrote:Possibly there was once a stream through this meadow, I mean, things die all the time. The soil is full of bones. Put a dino in the dirt or something.
Yeah, I gotta agree with Levellass here, I always used to put random rocks and dino bones in grasslandish areas (not that any of my games ever got finished haha). I always figured, hell, there could be dinosaur bones, or at least some other ancient creature's remains under my house at this very moment. And I'd never know. D:
Nospike
Keen Minecrafter

Post by Nospike »

Level 2 is done! I personally like the way it turned out and its difficulty seems balanced to me. I don't yet have an idea how Level 3 will look but I'll do my best as usual.
By the way, anybody here willing to playtest the levels for me? 1 person should suffice. I'm looking mostly for a generic player who will play through the mod and, while also paying attention to detail, tell me how he liked the levels as a whole, give me constructive criticism on level design and perhaps suggest how to fix it. My level design isn't very good but I can try to correct anything if I know it's wrong.
Levellass
S-Triazine

Post by Levellass »

I volunteer. Lord knows it will be a perfect opportunity to steal id- learn from another keener.
Nospike
Keen Minecrafter

Post by Nospike »

I'll send you the game soon. By the way there are no ideas to steal. I suck. :p
Nospike
Keen Minecrafter

Post by Nospike »

The fifth sprite is fully patched and animated. Only the graphics for the last sprite remain.
Nospike
Keen Minecrafter

Post by Nospike »

No worries guys, this still exists, not much progress in terms of levels has happened but that's because I'm currently switching around themes a lot and need to build tilesets. Also grabbing up inspiration from both the original games and mods alike.
Can anyone give me some ideas for cave scenery tiles? All I got now is torches.
Levellass
S-Triazine

Post by Levellass »

* Rocks of all sizes
* Stalactites an stalagmites
* Underground streams and waterfalls
* Sparkling gems
* Vine covered walls
Nospike
Keen Minecrafter

Post by Nospike »

Seems like I'll have to try the stalagmites/stalactites eh? Feels cave-ish but not enough. But then again level 3 is supposed to feel more like a mine.

Level 3 development has gone far enough for me to declare it done. These few levels will be hard because they each need a new tileset, but after that they'll be spewing out one after another :p Listening to Huey Lewis or Pink Floyd makes level design that much more manageable. Also, poll.
Levellass
S-Triazine

Post by Levellass »

Some tips for a mine:

* At least two plain background tiles, to give some variation, large expanses of the same tile are ok for sky, but get a bit bleah for interiors
* Possibly some mine carts or tracks? My Minkcraft mod was in a mine, possibly there are some ideas there for you.
Nospike
Keen Minecrafter

Post by Nospike »

Suggestions for the technical alien base levels needed! Give me anything. Aiming for a Keen 5-ish feel but darker. Most importantly I need some
  • spammable
hazards like those weird fire spinning things. Any ideas?
troublesomekeen
Vorticon Elite

Post by troublesomekeen »

Not sure how creative things can get over the usual, cranes, gears, pipes, computers, conveyor belts, tracks, pistons, engines, exhaust ports, garbage chutes, VCRs, coaxial cable, car jumpers, breaker boxes, the garbage conveyor belt seen in Monsters Inc., tiger saws, metallic drills, electric fences or blankets, telephone wires, moisture evaporators, metroids, malfunctioning blast doors, energy cores, Ridley, explosive rounds, unattended firearms, McCormick reapers, short circuits, oil spills, Emperor Pulpitine's force lightning, cieling fans, smoke or steam screens, sound blasters, surveillance cameras, freelancers, flash photography, bumper cars, Big Foot, anti-gravity, magnetic fields, containers of nails and screws split on the floor, holes in the floor, pictures of Agnes Moorehead, out of date anti-virus software, Venom, Symbiote, Carnage, perfectly cleaned glass walls or doors, spider webs, epileptic-educing flashes lights that cause seizures, and... lastly... Two Prong Power Outlets.

Oh, and about the gun recoil. Two things. One, I've never played a mod that included recoil. Anything new is good enough for me. Last thing is... why recoil? Does the story call for it? Does Keen find a new powerful weapon?
Commander Keen in... Canteloupe Quest!