Valentine's Keen

Here is where to post about the latest Commander Keen fangame or modification you've finished, a new website you've made, or another Keen-related creation.
Boreas249
Vortininja

Post by Boreas249 »

Levellass wrote: Keen's rocket is kept in his backyard clubhouse. Right by the door in fact. However something is wrong, Keen is quite surprised and will not find out WHY things are like this until the next game.
And now I'm even more psyched for it.

Wiivn, just curios, did you start your game over after downloading the latest version and then reach the boss, or are you doing this all from a previously saved game?
Roobar
Vorticon Elite

Post by Roobar »

Good idea! From a previous saved game. I'm unsure, but that might be the case. However, if this is the case, then any thoughts on why the saving system would cause this?
Boreas249
Vortininja

Post by Boreas249 »

wiivn wrote:Good idea! From a previous saved game. I'm unsure, but that might be the case. However, if this is the case, then any thoughts on why the saving system would cause this?
It happens in a few games/mods, if you load a save from a previous version after having installed the latest version, the gamr gets buggy or crashes, I guess because it's trying to read the old data & stuff and continues to try to use that and doesn't recognize the new data well... which is probably why mine froze so much whenever I loaded a previously saved game.
Levellass
S-Triazine

Post by Levellass »

Good idea! From a previous saved game. I'm unsure, but that might be the case. However, if this is the case, then any thoughts on why the saving system would cause this?
Sadly in Keen 4 the savegame stores a large segment of memory, including the entire current level. Notably it stores Player_Jump_State which tends to do terrible things if it's not loaded into the exact level it was saved in. (Notably the boss fight will freeze right after the intro talk if your savegame was anytime in the past three levels.)
What you really need, not what you think you ought to want.
NY00123
Vorticon Elite

Post by NY00123 »

Levellass wrote:(Notably the boss fight will freeze right after the intro talk if your savegame was anytime in the past three levels.)
Interestingly (with v1.2 and all saved games in the boss fight and the "preceding" level), it may be true that the process freezes after the talk if I load a saved game where I find myself right before the talk. But, if I'm doing some unclear different thing (like starting a new game maybe) and only *then* load, I can get to the boss with no freezing.

<POSSIBLE_SPOILER_WARNING>
I should add that I haven't encountered a unique problem in the boss level (including the boss fight itself), apart from Keen annoyingly getting to read the book for some strange reason...!!!
:p

</POSSIBLE_SPOILER_WARNING>
Levellass
S-Triazine

Post by Levellass »

Yep, that Keen is just such an egghead sometimes.
T-Squared
Vortininja

Post by T-Squared »

I couldn't help but notice you used a particular sprite/character with which I once used as my avatar on deviantART. :D (I use a variation of this particular character as my dA avatar now.)

All I gotta say is, very nice color conversion, but I would have thought you would have kept the greys instead of turning it blue. XD

Any other sprites you've taken from my dA page and used in your mods? :crazy (Not that that's a bad thing.)
Cosmo II: HUMANIZED!!! Progress:
Graphics: 15% Complete
Story: 100% Complete
Music: 5% Complete
Programming Modifications: 5% Complete (FINALLY! SOME PROGRESS!)

http://www.tsqproductions.com
Levellass
S-Triazine

Post by Levellass »

Nope, but I only used it 'cause you stole it first. (I should hate to steal original content... too often.)

Besides, the mouth thing was just too obvious.
Boreas249
Vortininja

Post by Boreas249 »

So... guess what I'm playing today. :p
Roobar
Vorticon Elite

Post by Roobar »

Boreas249 wrote:So... guess what I'm playing today. :p
But it's the wrong day. You should play this on 31-st of October.
Boreas249
Vortininja

Post by Boreas249 »

wiivn wrote:
Totally lol. It says Valentine's Keen, but is definitely a Halloween mod.
Levellass
S-Triazine

Post by Levellass »

Boreas249 wrote:
wiivn wrote:
Totally lol. It says Valentine's Keen, but is definitely a Halloween mod.
You're both wrong, it's meant to be played on the 24th of June. (A cookie to who can guess why!)
Flaose
Vorticon Elder

Post by Flaose »

St. John's Day? (Beheading delight!)
Cerebral Cortex 314 - For All of your Commander Keen Needs.
Eat at Joe's
cyber zero
Vortininja

Post by cyber zero »

I just finished the game and it was amazing.
And the ending was great. Looking forward for the next one.
Last edited by cyber zero on Sun Feb 17, 2013 0:56, edited 1 time in total.
Levellass
S-Triazine

Post by Levellass »

Flaose wrote:St. John's Day? (Beheading delight!)
Correct! Also on a non leap year it's directly between valentine's day and halloween, a nifty date indeed.