Commander Keen in "Botafloria Is Out Of Flowers"

You can discuss anything about fan-made Commander Keen games here.

Do you want the new raygun to have recoil?

Yes
62%
No
38%

Total votes: 13

Nospike
Keen Minecrafter

Post by Nospike »

Keen indeed finds a new weapon. As far as the story goes, Keen has to stun his parents again before leaving and runs out of Neural Stunner ammo.
The recoil itself is nothing significant. It adds a little to the newness, interestingness and difficulty as it can push you into a hazard if you're standing near one. It's not very strong, about 1 tile, but it might still provide some sort of puzzle element. And no more shooting while jumping :)

By the way, thanks to Lemm for making this patch and Lass for making it more compact.
Levellass
S-Triazine

Post by Levellass »

Suggestions for the technical alien base levels needed! Give me anything. Aiming for a Keen 5-ish feel but darker. Most importantly I need some

spammable

hazards like those weird fire spinning things. Any ideas?

*Clicks Post Reply*

*Looks at TK's response*

Yeah, I'm about done.
What you really need, not what you think you ought to want.
Nospike
Keen Minecrafter

Post by Nospike »

I'll keep the recoil then, depending on whether I use it in the levels I might make a non-recoil version too. Currently still making the bare-bones base tileset, once it's at least 70% done with only scenery tiles left I'll start making more levels.
Nospike
Keen Minecrafter

Post by Nospike »

I've decided to release a video of the new first level to keep everyone updated. Progress on the tileset has gone far, I now have pretty much everything I need. Next thing planned: more levels.
The video will come sometime after GameBird sends me the song for the first level. Until then I'll continue making new sounds.
Levellass
S-Triazine

Post by Levellass »

Excellent stuff.
Nospike
Keen Minecrafter

Post by Nospike »

Not dead! Not dead! Now where's that Keenmancer pic?
I'm still working on this, even though GameBird has run into some problems and therefore may not be able to create more music in the foreseeable future. Nevertheless, I'm thrilled to get into more level designing, (bet you didn't see that coming from me!) and get this rolling again. Choo choo! :)
Nospike
Keen Minecrafter

Post by Nospike »

Here's a screenie to keep everyone posted:
I'm aiming to keep the simplistic retro feel with only a few tweaks for the sake of novelty. Don't expect this mod to have outrageously game changing patches or anything. :p As usual, all notes and criticism are welcome.
Last edited by Nospike on Fri Aug 09, 2013 19:12, edited 1 time in total.
Roobar
Vorticon Elite

Post by Roobar »

Looks pretty solid! When should we expect it? Btw what kind of problems did GameBird went into?
Nospike
Keen Minecrafter

Post by Nospike »

Real life problems, poor guy's had a lot of unexpected work to do and a noticeable health problem. I'd prefer not to give out any more info on this matter without his permission.
Thanks for the opinion, I really appreciate it. Better not expect anything at all yet, you should know better than that by now! :o

By the way, how do I remove polls? I don't see the option while editing the first post. Many people, including me, have voted for the recoil to stay so I'll give it a shot.
Roobar
Vorticon Elite

Post by Roobar »

Lets hope everything runs well for GameBird.

I think you cannot remove polls.
troublesomekeen
Vorticon Elite

Post by troublesomekeen »

Get well soon, Gamebird!
Looking awesome Nospike! Awesome looking! Looking forward to this! And probably will look up to it, too!
Commander Keen in... Canteloupe Quest!
Levellass
S-Triazine

Post by Levellass »

I'm impressed; the design is basic, but as you say, very solid. This will be an excellent play if the level design is as good as the graphics.
Nospike
Keen Minecrafter

Post by Nospike »

Now that's something I don't hear every day. My graphics are usually horrible. Thanks!
As for the level design, not sure if it counts but I liked it, haha :p Send me a PM if you want to playtest, Lass. With the upcoming outdoor levels it might be necessary again.
Also, can anyone tell me the rough limit for 4-frame animated tiles in a 100x50 level assuming there are 5 yorps and 5 gargs in the level? Or at least how much memory said animated tiles take compared to yorps/gargs?
Levellass
S-Triazine

Post by Levellass »

All tiles in Keen Vorticons animates, some just animate to the same tile. As such you can have the whole level animate all the time with no worries.

Ice cannons, falling blocks however use more memory than most sprites.

The sprite limit is 77 basic sprites like Yorps or Gargs at once. On approaching this limit Keen will not be able to shoot.
Nospike
Keen Minecrafter

Post by Nospike »

Ohh, I forgot about that. I'm not using ice cannons or falling blocks so I'm in the clear, although I did consider using chains as computers that would kill all vorticons (which would have been robots if this idea passed) in the level.