IMF tools (as if we didn't have enough of them)

Here is where to post about the latest Commander Keen fangame or modification you've finished, a new website you've made, or another Keen-related creation.
K1n9_Duk3
Vorticon Elite

IMF tools (as if we didn't have enough of them)

Post by K1n9_Duk3 »

Hi there!

These are just some quickly thrown together tools related to IMF files. I foolishly started writing these without looking around the web for already existing tools. So I don't know if they are even useful at all. Anyway, here they are:

Use this link: IMF Tools The links below are either already dead or will soon be dead.

K1n9_Duk3's IMF player v1.1 (DOS program, with source code)
K1n9_Duk3's IMF player v1.0 (DOS program, with source code)
Allows you to play any IMF file (even larger than 64K) in DOSBox or on a PC with an actual Adlib FM chip. You can change the IMF rate while the song plays.

K1n9_Duk3's IMF to WAV converter v1.1 (Win32 program, with source code)
Allows you to select which AdLib voices to use or ignore.
K1n9_Duk3's IMF to WAV converter (Win32 program, with source code)
Allows you to convert any IMF file to Wave format. Uses the MAME OPL emulator.

K1n9_Duk3's MIDI to IMF converter (Win32 program, no source code >: )
Converts MIDI files to IMF. Uses the timbre file from Duke3D and RotT, so the IMF should sound like their MIDI files played in Adlib mode.

Edit:
Malvineous' DRO to IMF converter (Win32 program, with source code)
Converts DOSBox OPL captures (DRO files) to IMF. This is basically version 1.1 with more accurate delays.

K1n9_Duk3's IMF crusher version 1.2 (Win32 program, with source code)
Removes unneccessary commands from IMF files to reduce the file size. Can also convert IMF songs to a different rate and/or format (plain IMF file or AudioT chunk).

Gerstrongs IMF Player v2.2 (Win32 program, with source code)
An updated version of Gerstrong's IMF Player. It doesn't crash anymore when you play IMF files that use rhythm mode (Monster Bash), and it should be able to play IMF files larger than 64K properly.
Last edited by K1n9_Duk3 on Sat Nov 05, 2016 22:07, edited 7 times in total.
Hail to the K1n9, baby!
http://k1n9duk3.shikadi.net
_mr_m_
Vortimaestro

Post by _mr_m_ »

After a little testing, I like the IMF output from your MID to IMF converter.

I processed a rather complex MIDI song in your converter and am quite pleased with the results. IMFCreator could not give results like this.

Some of the limitations (such as too many notes, pitch bends) in IMFCreator made it difficult to get decent sounding IMF files, even after exhaustive tweaking of the original MIDI file. Your converter handled it like a champ, and even made the percussion track not sound like a little kid banging on tin plates at random.

Thank you for this; this looks like it'll be a nice boost in my workflow.

Also, the IMF to WAV converter works perfectly.

I can't make any assessment of your IMF player as I have a 64-bit OS; although I'm sure it would work just as well as the other programs you've written.
"I just drew this stupid little fish." -- Tom Hall
Gridlock
Vorticon Elite

Post by Gridlock »

:drool Thanks for releasing these. The imf to wav converter will be very helpful, and I'm liking the sound of that new midi to imf converter. I will give some of the Atroxian Realm songs a try with that new converter. Maybe it'll even help fix some of the problems Gamebird and I have been having. The imf player also looks handy :)

Edit: I tried importing an IMF file made with this converter into Keen 4, but all I''m getting is silence when the song plays. Unless I made a mistake, is it possible some setting needs to be changed? I'm not sure what IMF type the converter creates, but maybe it's the wrong IMF type? I don't have much expertise with the IMF format. Note that I was able to get the generated music to play in another IMF player (but not the one you made, I haven't used that one yet).
Armageddon Begins Again. The Alphamatic has arrived.

Atroxian Realm: viewtopic.php?f=4&t=3536
The Alphamatic: viewtopic.php?f=4&t=4086
gerstrong
Vorticon Elite

Post by gerstrong »

By the way Commander Genius version 1.2 supports HQ Music in Galaxy games. Gridlock, you asked me before and for Keen 4 there are remixes. Might be interesting for you maybe ...

The format is ogg...
Having fun developing stuff...
K1n9_Duk3
Vorticon Elite

Post by K1n9_Duk3 »

Gridlock wrote:I tried importing an IMF file made with this converter into Keen 4, but all I''m getting is silence when the song plays. Unless I made a mistake, is it possible some setting needs to be changed? I'm not sure what IMF type the converter creates, but maybe it's the wrong IMF type? I don't have much expertise with the IMF format. Note that I was able to get the generated music to play in another IMF player (but not the one you made, I haven't used that one yet).
Try using the /chunk option. The tool creates raw IMF files by default and some editing tools obviously don't bother checking if the file they import is a raw IMF file or a chunk that was ripped from an AUDIO/AUDIOT file.
Hail to the K1n9, baby!
http://k1n9duk3.shikadi.net
Levellass
S-Triazine

Post by Levellass »

Have you noticed it also creates type 0 IMF files and not type 1? http://www.shikadi.net/moddingwiki/IMF_ ... ile_format Most converters assume that the first word of your IMF file is not 0. (Keenwave allows conversion between the two types.)

Also, could you put an IMF file option in? I'd like to be able to scan an existing IMF file and remove all the dummy commands; I have noticed that the converter does this very well, but I don't always like how it converts midis and would like to modify existing IMF files. I assume this should be trivial to add.
What you really need, not what you think you ought to want.
Paramultart
VBB's Partner in Crime

Post by Paramultart »

Oh heck yes... Thank you, once again, King Duke!
"Father Mabeuf was surveying his plants"
Levack
Vortininja

Post by Levack »

:confused The IMF2WAV did not work :(
Levellass
S-Triazine

Post by Levellass »

But HOW did it not work? It worked for me.
What you really need, not what you think you ought to want.
T-Squared
Vortininja

Post by T-Squared »

I would suggest using IMF Creator instead, because it has IMF formats for Wolfenstein 3D, Duke Nukem II, and... shoot, there's one more that I can't remember.

You can:
*make custom instruments and save them to an OPL file.
*set the proper music speed (in Hz)
*even LISTEN to the music file before you export it! (However, this is a bit of a snag, as the music instruments can sound different in-game.)
all from within the program!
Cosmo II: HUMANIZED!!! Progress:
Graphics: 15% Complete
Story: 100% Complete
Music: 5% Complete
Programming Modifications: 5% Complete (FINALLY! SOME PROGRESS!)

http://www.tsqproductions.com
T-Squared
Vortininja

Post by T-Squared »

T-Squared wrote:I would suggest using IMF Creator instead, because it has IMF formats for Wolfenstein 3D, Duke Nukem II, and... shoot, there's one more that I can't remember, maybe it was Commander Keen.

You can:
*make custom instruments and save them to an OPL file.
*set the proper music speed (in Hz)
*even LISTEN to the music file before you export it! (However, this is a bit of a snag, as the music instruments can sound different in-game.)
all from within the program!
Cosmo II: HUMANIZED!!! Progress:
Graphics: 15% Complete
Story: 100% Complete
Music: 5% Complete
Programming Modifications: 5% Complete (FINALLY! SOME PROGRESS!)

http://www.tsqproductions.com
Levack
Vortininja

Post by Levack »

It opened for one sec then quit
Paramultart
VBB's Partner in Crime

Post by Paramultart »

T-Squared wrote:I would suggest using IMF Creator instead, because it has IMF formats for Wolfenstein 3D, Duke Nukem II, and... shoot, there's one more that I can't remember.
I see both of them having a purpose.
I hardly use any of the additional features in IMF Creator because it never seems to register when I change an instrument. Also, the default soundfont settings are far superior in MID2IMF than IMFCreator. You shouldn't have to be so meticulous when converting.
"Father Mabeuf was surveying his plants"
Bubbatom
Vorticon Elite

Post by Bubbatom »

Levack wrote:It opened for one sec then quit
Your PC is probably 64 bit whereas the program must be run on a 32 bit system.
Nospike
Keen Minecrafter

Post by Nospike »

If you have a 64 bit system, you need to run it from the command line. Also helps with parameters.
I like having both imf creator and this wonderful tool handy. They both sound very different but in a perfect way.