Commander Keen 64

You can discuss anything about fan-made Commander Keen games here.
szemi
Vorticon Elite

Post by szemi »

Better and better pictures. :D
Lava89
Vorticon Elite

Post by Lava89 »

Thanks szemi!
szemi
Vorticon Elite

Post by szemi »

No problem, hehe.
Commander Bones
Grunt

Post by Commander Bones »

lookin' good, the helmet no longer looks too over-sized. Keep up the good work :)
MoffD
Vorticon Elite

Post by MoffD »

If/when this gets finished I will DEFINITELY try it.

Keen in 3d :crazy gonna be epic
mortimermcmirestinks wrote: Now I wish MoffD wasn't allergic to me.
Levellass wrote:You're an evil man.
DukeNukem 2417
Grunt

Post by DukeNukem 2417 »

MoffD wrote:If/when this gets finished I will DEFINITELY try it.

Keen in 3d :crazy gonna be epic
Same here.
What's the point of growing up if you can't be a little childish sometimes?
Foddy Fod
Grunt

Post by Foddy Fod »

Keen looks really good!

I'm excited about how the project will evolve! Tried this demo already years ago...

Are you developing this alone?
Try out my new platform game (Work in Progress).
http://sandbox.yoyogames.com/games/186334-jimmy-fod

Inspired by my childhood hero CK.
Lava89
Vorticon Elite

Post by Lava89 »

Thanks Commander Bones!
Foddy Fod wrote:Keen looks really good!

I'm excited about how the project will evolve! Tried this demo already years ago...

Are you developing this alone?
Oh hey man, sorry I didn't notice your post until now.

I am developing the game by myself, but I did get help with the demo in terms of music from ZidaneA.
Keening_Product
Kuliwho?

Post by Keening_Product »

Nice models. I prefer them with white skin, thought they look good in general.
Keening_Product was defeated before the game.

"Wise words. One day I may even understand what they mean." - Levellass
Lava89
Vorticon Elite

Post by Lava89 »

Thanks Keening_Product! :)
MoffD
Vorticon Elite

Post by MoffD »

Sorry for necrobumping a bit, but I was curious.

Has there been any recent progress with this Lava89? I'm really looking forward to yours and Ronnie's 3d keens ;)
mortimermcmirestinks wrote: Now I wish MoffD wasn't allergic to me.
Levellass wrote:You're an evil man.
Lava89
Vorticon Elite

Post by Lava89 »

There's been no progress lately, because right now I'm working on getting a new release of SpaceJourney out. But I'll look into what it will take to release another level. I'm also planning to launch an indieDB page for Keen64 at some point.

And don't worry about bumping this thread. I am actually glad you did! So thanks! :)
AlphaLurker
Grunt

Post by AlphaLurker »

New to the site here, and was directed to your thread, great work! I really wouldn't mind seeing more levels
Lava89
Vorticon Elite

Post by Lava89 »

Welcome to the boards! As for more levels, for now I'll have to refer you to the Keen 64 Beta, where I added the first two levels, map and the pogo level. But the Unity release will be catching up to it, eventually.
Lava89
Vorticon Elite

MetaUpdate 1 -- New Commander Keen model for Keen64

Post by Lava89 »

MetaUpdate 1 -- New Commander Keen model for Keen64

After seeing this amazing Commander Keen model, I decided at the beginning of this year to embark on an epic quest and make the most accurate 3D adaptation to the design of Keen from the title screens of 4, 5, and 6. This box art was also an inspiration.

Behold, the fruits of my labor:

Also, gray variant:

Besides the hand, which I retooled from the old model, everything else has been modelled from scratch. This is also the first time I've done a Keen model based off of 2D concept sketches I made before hand.

Now some may be asking, "this model looks a little too detailed for a game that's emulating games on the N64" and boy, am I glad you asked yourself that! Because the old model had 695 polygons-- so this new model actually has less detail than the one that's in the current version of the game. I'd say that the difference is that this new design is more optimized under the constraint of fewer polys.

Speaking of optimization, the model has just one 1024x1024 texture. As opposed to 3 cumbersome 512x512 textures, so it will be faster to load for the engine I use to make the game. I'm also planning to add more detail on the texture as well-- like scorch marks and dents on the helmet, shoe laces, etc. Before, I only textured what I couldn't color with directly on the old model, but now I UV mapped every part of the new model, to plan ahead in case the community might want to make their own skins or use it in future fangames.

This brings me to my next topic, how and when will this model be used? The initial plan is to use the model in Commander Keen 64 as the replacement for the current player model. I am also open to public use of the model in this current form. However, none of it-- in the model or the texture, was modelled from existing art made by id Software, so if I modify the model (i.e. make it so it no longer represents Commander Keen, but rather a new character not related to commander keen, that's owned by me), then I retain complete rights to the 3D model and any textures or skins applied to said new character. When will it be used in Keen64? Sometime down the road, which I haven't decided at this point.
Last edited by Lava89 on Sun Apr 23, 2017 5:31, edited 4 times in total.