Keen Dreams for Android

Here, you can get help with anything or just chat about the original Commander Keen games.
Malvineous
Shikadi Webmaster

Keen Dreams for Android

Post by Malvineous »

Hi all,

Just dropping by to say that there's an official port of Keen Dreams now available in the Android App Store. It was done by the Super Fighter Team, who licensed the rights for the game and intend to release it on a few other platforms too.

Apparently there's a web page for it coming soon with some more details, but I believe you can purchase it and play it right now. Looks fun :-)
Levellass
S-Triazine

Post by Levellass »

It is indeed awesome. SFT is a great company that does great work and they made every effort they could to make this the best port possible.

Go play says I!
What you really need, not what you think you ought to want.
Keening_Product
Kuliwho?

Post by Keening_Product »

I was all like "yayyyy!"

Then I was all like "oh... I don't have a credit card."

:<

Programmers shouldn't have to pay for food so they can make free apps.
Keening_Product was defeated before the game.

"Wise words. One day I may even understand what they mean." - Levellass
Benvolio
Vorticon Elite

Post by Benvolio »

Keening_Product wrote:I was all like "yayyyy!"

Then I was all like "oh... I don't have a credit card."
I was all like, wow it's only 75 (euro) cent.

But then I was all like "my phone is a Nokia brick".

I would definitely buy/play if I could. Though one of my mini-ambitions is to have a Dos laptop or portable device. In which case I would play original Keen Dreams!
Roobar
Vorticon Elite

Post by Roobar »

And I was like "What? They even charge for this?" Meh. This old game should be freeware, especially for smartphones.

Bulloks. The D-pad looks ugly, generic and uncomfortable. The only good news is that somebody actually has finally bought a keen license, which by its own way is a historical keen event. Woohoo! However I really doubt these fucl will try to actually make a new keen dreams game. Super fighter team? :no Rather, they'll just squeeze what they can from the existing keen dreams game on the back of those who throw money at them. By the look of the popularity so far, they won't succeed even with that. I'm more interested in how much did they pay for the rights and to whom. Cool find though.

Keening_Product you don't necessary need a credit card. When you buy games from google play, your phone operator just charges you the amount and that affects your phone bill. Alternatively, you can make a visa classic and use your bank account without the need to have a credit card. It works the same way as the credit cards for buying over the internet.

Btw I searched for Commander Keen in google play and found that there is actually a new Commander Keen clone: Commander Smart.
https://play.google.com/store/apps/deta ... U21hcnQiXQ..
I won't bother trying this, but at least it's free.
guynietoren
Vorticon Elite

Post by guynietoren »

wiivn wrote: Btw I searched for Commander Keen in google play and found that there is actually a new Commander Keen clone: Commander Smart.
More like Commander Copywrite Infringement. It doesn't even mention the source material by name or creators.
The reviews are enough to keep it from wasting my time.

But the Keen Dreams license is hopefully an ice breaker for some new content in the right direction.
Roobar
Vorticon Elite

Post by Roobar »

guynietoren wrote:More like Commander Copywrite Infringement. It doesn't even mention the source material by name or creators.
The reviews are enough to keep it from wasting my time.
Putting aside the game quality, what infringement are you talking about? It's using original graphics and its own engine.
Bernie
Vorticon Elite

Post by Bernie »

why, out of all the keen games, did they chose to port Keen Dreams?
tulip
Flower Pot

Post by tulip »

Probs because of the licence fees.
Keening_Product wrote:Programmers shouldn't have to pay for food so they can make free apps.
considering no one was paid during development, that really doesn't apply here
Image You crack me up little buddy!
Roobar
Vorticon Elite

Post by Roobar »

Bernie wrote:why, out of all the keen games, did they chose to port Keen Dreams?
Because it is the only keen that doesn't have pogostick and thus, is easier to be played on smartphones.
lemm
Blorb

Post by lemm »

How did they "port" it exactly?

Does this mean the source exists?

Bernie wrote:why, out of all the keen games, did they chose to port Keen Dreams?
Perhaps it's because Softdisk owns the rights to that game, whereas Id owns the rights to the other five.
Bernie
Vorticon Elite

Post by Bernie »

lemm wrote:Perhaps it's because Softdisk owns the rights to that game, whereas Id owns the rights to the other five.
makes the most sense. (i dont like keen dreams very much :( ).
Roobar
Vorticon Elite

Post by Roobar »

I don't think Softdisk even exist today. How could a company own rights if that company does not exist anymore?
Bernie
Vorticon Elite

Post by Bernie »

oh yeah. i wonder where those game's copyright went to.
Levellass
S-Triazine

Post by Levellass »

Does this mean the source exists?
Yes. Mostly.

I still back this. The Keen community actually had input into this game.
What you really need, not what you think you ought to want.