ReDuke: Duke Nukem 1 for Windows

Discuss classic and favorite computer or console games here.
K1n9_Duk3
Vorticon Elite

Post by K1n9_Duk3 »

Make sure that the tile sizes of your hq_tiles.png match the numbers in HRP.INI - the default values are 64x64 pixels but the exported tiles are 16x16 (the first ReDuke beta was hard-coded to use 64x64 pixels, that's why that value is in the INI file).

The sounds must be either in OGG or WAV format and must be named 000.wav, 001.wav, 002.wav and so on (or 000.ogg, 001.ogg, 002.ogg ...) otherwise they won't work.

Both the sounds and the image files should be located in the same folder as ReDuke.exe.
Hail to the K1n9, baby!
http://k1n9duk3.shikadi.net
Levellass
S-Triazine

Post by Levellass »

I smell a keenification...
What you really need, not what you think you ought to want.
guynietoren
Vorticon Elite

Post by guynietoren »

Levellass wrote:I smell a keenification...
I'm thinking the original Galaxy sprites are 32x32. The few that I made are apparently twice the size they need to be for this I'm guessing. I haven't done the math, but the overall screen size might be too big. Either way it's a lot of work.
Could always keep the galaxy art as is, though still not sure how much could be used.
Levellass
S-Triazine

Post by Levellass »

Or use some of the interesting famade sprites that are smaller. There are some nifty 16x32 sprites out there.
guynietoren
Vorticon Elite

Post by guynietoren »

I tried installing/unpacking Duke 1's shareware episode and my computer failed as it's 64 bit windows 7.

I'm sure Duke 1 doesn't use system files or what not during install. Would it be against copyrights to include the shareware one with Duke1? Or is that merely to avoid suspicion due to Reduke's nature. I figured it was similar to Commander Genius.

I did find a Windows 7 compatible version of Duke 1 after some searching, but haven't tested it yet.
K1n9_Duk3
Vorticon Elite

Post by K1n9_Duk3 »

guynietoren wrote:Would it be against copyrights to include the shareware one with Duke1? Or is that merely to avoid suspicion due to Reduke's nature. I figured it was similar to Commander Genius.
It's a legal grey zone. The game's original licence (VENDOR.DOC) allows you to distribute the games in unmodified form. But it doesn't allow releasing add-ons or editing tools and also prohibits any disassembling or other forms of reverse engineering.

You see, pretty much everything the Keen community has been doing can be considered illegal, including all the patches, mods and even Commander Genius. As I've written before, I don't want to violate any other copyrights, so I won't be releasing ReDuke along with the Duke Nukem games (not even the shareware version). In addition, it might actually make people go and buy the full game on GOG.com or similar sites, so I hope Apogee/3D Realms is less likely to sue me or whatever.
Hail to the K1n9, baby!
Paramultart
VBB's Partner in Crime

Post by Paramultart »

K1n9_Duk3 wrote:I hope Apogee/3D Realms is less likely to sue me or whatever.
If they did, they would be betraying everything that ever made them great.
I remember how disappointed I was when they started ordering cease-and-desists on all the Duke fan games... I think they were seriously threatened someone would make a better game than DNF... which isn't hard to do.
"Father Mabeuf was surveying his plants"
K1n9_Duk3
Vorticon Elite

Post by K1n9_Duk3 »

Paramultart wrote:I think they were seriously threatened someone would make a better game than DNF... which isn't hard to do.
Some say that's why Gearbox stopped Interceptor's Duke Nukem: Reloaded...
Hail to the K1n9, baby!
Nospike
Keen Minecrafter

Post by Nospike »

Honestly I think Interceptor would have done a much better job. I mean, their Rise of the Triad reboot looks awesome, and though it's badly optimized and a bit buggy right now, they're still working on it.
guynietoren
Vorticon Elite

Post by guynietoren »

This recent article says Gearbox allows them to publish with a non-commercial license.
http://www.penny-arcade.com/report/arti ... -for-non-c

But yeah. There is a big mess of confusion there as to why the stopped production if Gearbox says it's perfectly fine.
Levellass
S-Triazine

Post by Levellass »

It's standard gaming policy no, anything innovative and new must be squashed. bring on the next Gears of Halofare IV game!
MoffD
Vorticon Elite

Post by MoffD »

Levellass wrote:It's standard gaming policy no, anything innovative and new must be squashed. bring on the next Gears of Halofare IV game!
It was dark era, Earth had become ground zero for an interstellar war...
The Locust Horde had refused to join the Covenant so they must be crushed.

"Soap" MacTavish thought back to before the invaders had come, when there was still fighting between humans, but his reminiscing was cut short when he heard a locust drone nearby. He started to sneak up with his knife out but before he could get near a covenant Elite appeared holding a plasma sword and stabbed the drone through...

Sorry, My mind got derailed :D
mortimermcmirestinks wrote: Now I wish MoffD wasn't allergic to me.
Levellass wrote:You're an evil man.
Nospike
Keen Minecrafter

Post by Nospike »

Don't even get me started on Modern Warfare 3 or how all Call of Duty endings are pure cliché.
Roobar
Vorticon Elite

Post by Roobar »

Nospike wrote:Don't even get me started on Modern Warfare 3 or how all Call of Duty endings are pure cliché.
You even play these game? You're too mainstream :p .
Nospike
Keen Minecrafter

Post by Nospike »

Hell no, last CoD game I've played was Black Ops, even today I still regret buying it.