Suburb Shenanigans

You can discuss anything about fan-made Commander Keen games here.
cyber zero
Vortininja

Post by cyber zero »

This looks amazing.
I'm really excited for this mod.
Ceilick
The Dude

Post by Ceilick »

Really incredible how much variety is packed into each scene; it's shocking and inspiring to see so many unique details in a single level. And WHAT how did you accomplish a two-part level like that?
Bernie
Vorticon Elite

Post by Bernie »

it looks awesome. some of the graphics could've been done better but the style is right up my alley.
Levellass
S-Triazine

Post by Levellass »

Aaah awesomeness.

The car patch is giving me more trouble than I thought it would.
What you really need, not what you think you ought to want.
Bubbatom
Vorticon Elite

Post by Bubbatom »

Thanks for the good feedback and constructive criticism guys.
Eros wrote:i noticed that you were restricting keen to walk on one tile wide sidewalks, wouldn't it be easier to let all lawns be accessible, or will that let you reach places in uninntended ways?
Well, actually most lawns are accessable, I guess I just stuck to the paths in the video, funny you picked this up.
Ceilick wrote: And WHAT how did you accomplish a two-part level like that?
I chucked the mod to levellass and she worked her magic on it. I really had to have this patch as levels were crashing and really putting me off from finishing it.
Levellass wrote: The car patch is giving me more trouble than I thought it would.
That's fine, I haven't had time to work on the mod today anyway.
Scilicet
Vortininja

Post by Scilicet »

Wow! Just wow! This looks like an good concept for a mod executed excellently. The ammo sound reminds me of the ammo sound from another Keen game. I think it's Dreams.

The beehive enemy piques my interest. I think I know what its progenitor is, but I'm not sure how secretive you're trying to be about such things, so I won't say.

The stunned animation for the cleaning woman confuses me. Why are the stars not over her head?

And to end, I must say I'm amused by Keen standing on a fence at the beginning of the level. He does it better than I would.
Nospike
Keen Minecrafter

Post by Nospike »

Scilicet wrote:The stunned animation for the cleaning woman confuses me. Why are the stars not over her head?
That's a bug. The stars need to be moved via a patch I think.
Scarlet
Vorticon Elite

Post by Scarlet »

Wow this is probably my favorite keen mod yet! Wow. And Wow again!
Join us for netkeen! irc://irc.foonetic.net/netkeen
Stay classy, Scarlet.
Ha, you really are a fucling legend aren't you you neocon netnanny.
By jove... You have exceptional taste in games, Scarlet!
Levellass
S-Triazine

Post by Levellass »

They need to be relocated. each enemy type has a different stun star position, when the sprites are resized the position isn't changed. This is why I utterly abandoned stun stars in my mods, too fiddly.
What you really need, not what you think you ought to want.
Nospike
Keen Minecrafter

Post by Nospike »

Levellass wrote:
They need to be relocated. each enemy type has a different stun star position, when the sprites are resized the position isn't changed. This is why I utterly abandoned stun stars in my mods, too fiddly.
What I meant to say (and probably have failed to) is that it wasn't intended that way and isn't hard to change, but it takes a lot of fiddling and therefore Bubba might not have bothered with it at the time the video was uploaded. :o
Bubbatom
Vorticon Elite

Post by Bubbatom »

I hope to have this at least up to beta testing in three weeks time.

I feel like I need to implement a deadline as work on this mod has gone on long enough, and it's infringing on my personal life. I also have a part time job now, as well as school, so I want to get this off my chest now. I'm in demand on several other projects by others and want to get started.

That means that I'll be needing a lot of patching help from Levellass, and four or five lucky beta testers to test this out (some of which I've chosen).

I've nothing to show for this update but I can give some percentages;

Graphics are at: 98%
Levels are at: 95%
Enemies are at: 90%
Patching is at: 70%
My motivation is at: 38.4%

Now, I'm getting to work, bye.
Ceilick
The Dude

Post by Ceilick »

Sounds like you have a plan, good luck! Certainly looking forward to it, and glad so much is complete, but don't be afraid to let the mod wait. Coming back to it fresh after a break can be helpful, both for the mod and the rest of your life.
Paramultart
VBB's Partner in Crime

Post by Paramultart »

I, personally, would like to see more work done on it before release; especially for the title screen.
"Father Mabeuf was surveying his plants"
Bubbatom
Vorticon Elite

Post by Bubbatom »

Paramultart wrote:I, personally, would like to see more work done on it before release; especially for the title screen.
What would you like fixed? I did a small adjustment on the title screen of spot for the demo video.

Also, Something Worth Sharing:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sW9Vk6NHyag
Ceilick
The Dude

Post by Ceilick »

I'll make a few suggestions for the title:

The bottom of Keen's shirt seems unnaturally straight and wide, as do the sides. Slim it up a little to match his legs.

Keen's forearms are incredibly long compared to his upper arms. They should cross at his belly, not his upper chest.

Spot looks...kind of dumpy :lol I'm not quite sure how to suggest fixing him without trying myself. Adjusting the mouth, adjusting the eye-stock, and the eye itself would be where I'd start.

Where the grass meets the fort walls doesn't match how the grass meets the fence. Show the grass growing against it, not the fort just sitting on top.

The tree's shadow could use much less black.

Beef up the size of the episode title a bit, consider lowering it so that it uses all that empty fence space.

Okay, so that was more than a few, but I should stress that I think the general design and layout is great and fits well with the episode. Just the details that needs hammering out :)