Rise of the Guardians

Discuss your favorite movies, books, and music here or just lounge around and see what other people think is classy.
VikingBoyBilly
Vorticon Elite
Location: The spaghetti island of the faces of dinosaur world for a vacation

Rise of the Guardians

Post by VikingBoyBilly »

My review:

This movie is about Santa Claus, Jack Frost, The Easter Bunny, the Tooth Fairy, and the Sandman in a war against the Boogeyman. That's all that needs to be said about it and it's exactly what you'd expect it to be like.

How I would make it better:

The boogeyman is a villain that never gets redeemed. At one point he asks Jack, the Guardian of Fun, to team up with him, but that doesn't really go anywhere. They could have had an angle where Jack makes him realize that scary things can be kind of fun, and he'd actually be accepted and LIKED, with halloween as his main day to shine. It's about the sense of adventure exploring the unknown and overcoming dread. It's kind of a necessary element, when you think about it. When there isn't a small dose of fear and trauma in life, what's the point of all the good stuff?

But it doesn't go down like that. Boogey just... loses. Kind of a missed opportunity.

A side rant:

What's with all the silly accents? Russian Santa? Australian Easter Bunny? In a way I kind of like it, but it feels out of character for the established mythic figures they're based on.

The main selling point:

The box art. It's the kind that gives you the URGE to see how stupid it is :crazy
"I don't trust players. Not one bit." - Levellass
KeenEmpire
Intellectuality

Post by KeenEmpire »

I thought it was about owls.
"In order to ensure our security, and continuing stability, the Kingdom has been reorganized into the First Vorticon Intellectuality!" Image
Flaose
Vorticon Elder

Post by Flaose »

That's Legend of the Guardians...I definitely thought that was the movie being discussed when I read the thread title.
Cerebral Cortex 314 - For All of your Commander Keen Needs.
Eat at Joe's
VikingBoyBilly
Vorticon Elite
Location: The spaghetti island of the faces of dinosaur world for a vacation

Post by VikingBoyBilly »

That's odd, since I only know the books (the ones about owls, that is), I automatically think of them as The Owls of Ga'hoole, not something with Guardians in the title. :dopekeen
"I don't trust players. Not one bit." - Levellass
Levellass
S-Triazine

Post by Levellass »

Indeed.

Also, read the books, it explains a lot about the characters in the movie, including the accents. (In the books so far it seems like evil guy will indeed be redeemed, he has a family and suchlike so we will have to see.)

All in all this is an awesome movie. Easter Kangaroo FTW.
What you really need, not what you think you ought to want.
tulip
Flower Pot

Post by tulip »

So I'm the only one who thought of Decree of the Skree 3 when reading the title?
Image You crack me up little buddy!
Levellass
S-Triazine

Post by Levellass »

Who of the what now?
StupidBunny
format c:

Post by StupidBunny »

I've never gotten around to playing any of that trilogy, though tentatively they're on my to-do list along with every other Keen mod I've never played or completed.
Cobalt
Vorticon Elite

Post by Cobalt »

We need a keen mod about alien holiday owls.
I'm the cool blue keener.
Levellass
S-Triazine

Post by Levellass »

It'd be a hoot.