source code found?

Here, you can get help with anything or just chat about the original Commander Keen games.
Dynamo
Vorticon Elite

Post by Dynamo »

sweet :D
Roobar
Vorticon Elite

Post by Roobar »

_mr_m_ wrote:Here's to hoping id does the same thing they did for Wolfenstein and release the source!
Since you bring that up, can you tell what happened after the release of the source for Wolfenstein? I mean does someone made something noticeably major with it or because of it after that?
Dynamo
Vorticon Elite

Post by Dynamo »

It allowed mods to take full advantage of source code changes. I've made a wolfenstein 3d mod myself with the help of a guy that edited the source code to add new features I wanted.

Done this way, it's far less hacky than with patches and reverse engineering.
DoomJedi
Vorticon Elite

Post by DoomJedi »

wiivn wrote: Since you bring that up, can you tell what happened after the release of the source for Wolfenstein? I mean does someone made something noticeably major with it or because of it after that?
You probably don't follow the Wolf3D modding community...

http://www.moddb.com/games/wolfenstein-3d/mods

http://www.wolfenstein3d.co.uk/awards.htm
lemm
Blorb

Post by lemm »

Aye, all Wolf3D mods are new executable files compiled from the source. Writing actual C code is far easier than writing machine code, which is what we do now for Keen.

Good to hear that it was Keens 4-6, too.
Dynamo
Vorticon Elite

Post by Dynamo »

Allstories
Annoyed Grunt

Post by Allstories »

Hooooly garg. This is big news
Lumpytoast
Vortininja

Post by Lumpytoast »

I AM STILL FREAKING OUT OVER THIS HOLY MOLY
MoffD
Vorticon Elite

Post by MoffD »

I hope Tom remembers his password and posts an update here.

I can't wait for more information! :D
mortimermcmirestinks wrote: Now I wish MoffD wasn't allergic to me.
Levellass wrote:You're an evil man.
troublesomekeen
Vorticon Elite

Post by troublesomekeen »

This is it! It's real! This is really happening! Oh my wow! Where do you guys get this kinda news?
Commander Keen in... Canteloupe Quest!
Levellass
S-Triazine

Post by Levellass »

So would WE be able to make our own little executable files from the C code?

Would patches become obsolete? Would Lemm lose his only source of income and have to go live under a bridge?
What you really need, not what you think you ought to want.
lemm
Blorb

Post by lemm »

Levellass wrote:So would WE be able to make our own little executable files from the C code?

Would patches become obsolete? Would Lemm lose his only source of income and have to go live under a bridge?
Yes we would, and I would choose the ability to compile over patching in a heartbeat. It's like we're entering the next era of Keen Modding.
_mr_m_
Vortimaestro

Post by _mr_m_ »

CKeen wrote:Gentlemen.

http://i.imgur.com/veoGzTH.jpg
Now just where did you get that picture?

wiivn wrote:Since you bring that up, can you tell what happened after the release of the source for Wolfenstein? I mean does someone made something noticeably major with it or because of it after that?
Pretty sure Project Totengraebber was one of the first major stand-alone games to come from the source code release. Also, I think SDL Wolf was another result of the source code.

I can only imagine the possibilities if this whole thing works out...
"I just drew this stupid little fish." -- Tom Hall
Bernie
Vorticon Elite

Post by Bernie »

*checks the calender*

oh man. guys, its april fool's day :( :( :(
NY00123
Vorticon Elite

Post by NY00123 »

Seems like this is the source of the photo: https://twitter.com/ablitter/status/377 ... 01/photo/1

It's still better to assume there is (almost?) nothing new as long as we don't have direct access to the sources.

Nevertheless, just the fact that the disk has been found after so many years can already be considered a significant event in the history of Commander Keen and everything related!

On a side-note, although it's a bit late now, looks like it's been 9 days since Hall's last birthday. That may bring some question for, well, some of you... I guess 7 times 7 is an answer!

EDIT: Oh yeah, checking the photo, it looks like some files and folders (if not all) originate from 1992. A general keen4-6 archive, to be more specific an archive file named keen4-6.tar.Z and a uncompressed directory named keen4-6, both have the modification date of Nov 9, 1992. A few subdirectories within the keen4-6 directory have the modification date of Apr 13, 1992. In each case the exact modification times differ a bit (by no more than 10 minutes).

Interestingly, looks like the .tar.Z archive format was used back then (for that keen4-6 archive) :o Must be the result of using a certain workstation platform back in the days.