The new new music thread

Discuss your favorite movies, books, and music here or just lounge around and see what other people think is classy.
Bernie
Vorticon Elite

Post by Bernie »

I bought an album called 'Cereal Killer' by 'Green Jelly' a while ago, cause it cost me a buck. i only got it for the 'three little pigs' song of theirs cause it takes me back. but i listened to the album recently and its not bad :p if you're into silly rock music.
Roobar
Vorticon Elite

Post by Roobar »

Levellass
S-Triazine

Post by Levellass »

Now you will never get that tune out of your head.

I am immune, I listen to Symphonies of Science.
What you really need, not what you think you ought to want.
MoffD
Vorticon Elite

Post by MoffD »

Levellass wrote:Now you will never get that tune out of your head.

I am immune, I listen to Symphonies of Science.
Levellass wrote: I am immune, I listen to Symphonies of Science.
Levellass wrote:Symphonies of Science.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GrsV5dHXeV0
you monster
mortimermcmirestinks wrote: Now I wish MoffD wasn't allergic to me.
Levellass wrote:You're an evil man.
Levellass
S-Triazine

Post by Levellass »

There are millions and millions of black holes... http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7e5-0t0pTF0

I'm gonna pop some caaaarbs! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aMBIs_Iw0kE
MoffD
Vorticon Elite

Post by MoffD »

Levellass wrote:There are millions and millions of black holes... http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7e5-0t0pTF0

I still like my Symphonies of Science.

Anyone like techno that goes well with racing, and if so any recommendations?
tulip
Flower Pot

Post by tulip »

Bernie wrote:I bought an album called 'Cereal Killer' by 'Green Jelly' a while ago, cause it cost me a buck. i only got it for the 'three little pigs' song of theirs cause it takes me back. but i listened to the album recently and its not bad :p if you're into silly rock music.
The bear went over the mountain to see what he could see
The other side of the mountain was all that he could see

Classy stuff.
Image You crack me up little buddy!
Levellass
S-Triazine

Post by Levellass »

Wait, so they're the ones responsible for Justin Beiber's lyrics?
Bernie
Vorticon Elite

Post by Bernie »

tulip wrote:The bear went over the mountain to see what he could see
The other side of the mountain was all that he could see
i dont remember those lyrics :/ sounds good though.
there is a song on it dedicated to poop though.
_mr_m_
Vortimaestro

Post by _mr_m_ »

Levellass wrote:There are millions and millions of black holes... http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7e5-0t0pTF0

You monster.

How did I not know of these videos?
"I just drew this stupid little fish." -- Tom Hall
StupidBunny
format c:

Post by StupidBunny »

troublesomekeen wrote:My goodness gracious. 2112 is one of my favorite songs! I think it's their best album by far. There are many reviews out there that say everything aside from the title suite is throw-away and mediocre. Well that's rubbish! The entire album from beginning to end is a triumph. Getty Lee's bass playing is off the charts! I also want to say that Tears is also a great song. Rush is best when they're rocking away, but Tears is breath of fresh air--or should I say-- sigh of fresh air. A very tender song indeed. Never a dull moment. (If you don't have Moving Pictures, be sure to grab that one. The first 4 songs are crazy-good.)
Totally agree, I can't pick a bad moment on the album. And yes, I do have Moving Pictures...in fact it was the first Rush album I listened to! So good...

I (un)fortunately haven't had occasion to acquire any new music since coming back to Portland, so these I got a couple weeks ago before flying up.

Johnny Cash - At Folsom Prison: This and the next album I listened to at 4 in the morning on an airport shuttle, so I probably wasn't sufficiently absorbed, but from what I recall it's at times funny, exciting, and poignant, sometimes all 3, and always catchy as hell. Not sure why they included the warden ordering everyone out at the end, struck me as a bit of a mood-killer, but...hey, it was recorded in prison, I guess.

They Might Be Giants - Apollo 18: Mostly got this for the Fingertips suite, though the rest is pretty fun too. Needless to say, this was playing out in my mind the whole time.

Queensrÿche - Operation: Mindcrime: Well this one was given to me by a friend ages ago, along with some other Queensrÿche, but it gets a mention because I only recently listened to it and it's that fucling good. Sounds a lot like Iron Maiden, only even proggier.
Roobar
Vorticon Elite

Post by Roobar »

MoffD
Vorticon Elite

Post by MoffD »

+1UP

I actually was trying to do this with my RPi but didn't get very far into coding after the initial setup
StupidBunny
format c:

Post by StupidBunny »

Burzum - Filosofem: It's been a long time since I've listened to something that's moved me as much as this did. It created such a powerful atmosphere of cold and desolation, and while a lot of people complain about it as repetitive I think that works to its advantage, as it sucks you in and immerses you so fully. Say what you will about the author, but he can write some pretty compelling music.
Paramultart
VBB's Partner in Crime

Post by Paramultart »

StupidBunny wrote:Burzum - Filosofem: It's been a long time since I've listened to something that's moved me as much as this did. It created such a powerful atmosphere of cold and desolation, and while a lot of people complain about it as repetitive I think that works to its advantage, as it sucks you in and immerses you so fully. Say what you will about the author, but he can write some pretty compelling music.
I've never been big on metal in general, but in 2005, that album singlehandedly transformed my life and how I hear music. Everything you said about the album is true. It seems like it shouldn't work, because it is so repetitive; but I think repetitive works with lo-fi, or at least analog music in general.
I've only recently (last year or so) started to get into the other Norwegian BM bands of the black circle, and I've had quite a few metal bands recommended to me by a friend.
Most metal snobs are no fun to talk to because they think Burzum, Mayhem, Darkthrone and the likes are too "cliché" or "mainstream" now to even be worth acknowledging, but that doesn't change the fact that it's good music. I think it's a good idea to avoid talking to those people, anyway, because the "obscure" stuff they pride themselves listening to is generally the worst crap you can imagine.
"Father Mabeuf was surveying his plants"