Martinez McMeyer - design voting

This is where you can post your Commander Keen related stories, artwork, or other stuff that is related to Commander Keen but otherwise doesn't belong in another forum.

How should he looks like?

Blue M on the helmet, blue T-shirt, blue stripes on his shoes, blue nuclear blaster, grey pants
45%
Green M on the helmet, green T-shirt, green stripes on his shoes, green nuclear blaster, grey pants
55%

Total votes: 20

szemi
Vorticon Elite

Post by szemi »

Paramultart wrote:Blue skin
That's all! :)
Yeah, piece of cake!
NY00123
Vorticon Elite

Post by NY00123 »

Just my opinion about a relevant topic (or at least a truly related one):

On the one hand, I absolutely agree it is going to be your choice after all. On the other hand, if a change is done to the character (or even if a minor change is done), I prefer that all currently available revisions of various modifications in which you've been involved will not simply be removed as a result of updates. Right, any new revision/version may change/fix a lot, but I still prefer to have the chance to experience something the way it was done earlier/originally/etc, especially when it comes to major changes like a (potentially significant) part of a main character's identity.

My own example (well, sort of)? Alright. There is this random Bio Menace 1 level pack, for which I released an early snapshot. Later, I released it in its final form. I didn't get rid of the earlier snapshot, though.

While it may seem mostly relevant for someone who played a specific revision and wants to replay exactly that revision, I guess others may see in this some kind of preservation.

Thanks for your involvement in any modification where you've been involved so far!

P.S. I have no specific preferred choice when it comes to the current poll, although I think such changes in the character's identity may be better suited in series reboots and the like.
Nospike
Keen Minecrafter

Post by Nospike »

Why not give him dark blue jeans but keep the rest of his outfit green? I think it'd look pretty good. Not too much gray, not too much green.
StupidBunny
format c:

Post by StupidBunny »

szemi wrote:Okay, but I think in my opinion black-dark grey doesn't fit green because of his look. Green M on his helmet, green eyes, green shoes, green T-shirt? Too many greens!
But your suggested revision replaces all that green with blue. Doesn't that mean too many blues now? I like Nospike's idea of doing a bit of blue along with the green, so as to make him look more vibrant but not completely rehaul the color scheme.

And yeah, if you do change it, keep the originals online anyway. Don't George Lucas it and get rid of all the original versions.
szemi
Vorticon Elite

Post by szemi »

StupidBunny wrote:
szemi wrote:Okay, but I think in my opinion black-dark grey doesn't fit green because of his look. Green M on his helmet, green eyes, green shoes, green T-shirt? Too many greens!
But your suggested revision replaces all that green with blue. Doesn't that mean too many blues now? I like Nospike's idea of doing a bit of blue along with the green, so as to make him look more vibrant but not completely rehaul the color scheme.

And yeah, if you do change it, keep the originals online anyway. Don't George Lucas it and get rid of all the original versions.
I think you misunderstood something. Martinez will look like Mortimer from Keen 9 or NetKeen except he will be blue instead of red.
Yeah, piece of cake!
StupidBunny
format c:

Post by StupidBunny »

szemi wrote:Green M on the helmet, green T-shirt, green stripes on his shoes, green nuclear blaster, grey pants
This is the original color scheme for Martinez, at least as you describe it.
szemi wrote:Green M on his helmet, green eyes, green shoes, green T-shirt? Too many greens!
Here you've enumerated all the parts of the above description that are green, and stated that it is "too many greens."
szemi wrote:Blue M on the helmet, blue T-shirt, blue stripes on his shoes, blue nuclear blaster, grey pants
Now here is your suggested change. Note that every instance of "green" has been changed to "blue." What I was trying to say is that, if the original has "too many greens", how does the change NOT have "too many blues"? If your objection to the original design is that it has too much of one color than changing every part that's green to be blue won't change that problem. So I really don't know what I could have misunderstood, given what you have said.
VikingBoyBilly
Vorticon Elite
Location: The spaghetti island of the faces of dinosaur world for a vacation

Post by VikingBoyBilly »

No, Stupid Bunny, you're misunderstanding. The Mortimer in Keen 9 is too red. Martinez can't be red, or they'll look the same, so he is changing everything on Martinez that's green to blue so it won't look identical to Mortimer and there won't be too many greens.

Get it?
"I don't trust players. Not one bit." - Levellass
Dr.Colossus
Vortininja

Post by Dr.Colossus »

I like green variant better. This is the Martinez I love :love
VikingBoyBilly wrote:No, Stupid Bunny, you're misunderstanding. The Mortimer in Keen 9 is too red. Martinez can't be red, or they'll look the same, so he is changing everything on Martinez that's green to blue so it won't look identical to Mortimer and there won't be too many greens.

Get it?
:eek Wuuuut???
szemi wrote:Green M on his helmet, green eyes, green shoes, green T-shirt? Too many greens!
Now he has a blue M on his helmet, blue shoes, blue T-shirt? Are these not also too many blue tones?
szemi wrote:his style as in my opinion his look is a little bit Commander Keenish, not Mortimerish. My idea is blue colour instead of green now.
I don't get it. Why does a green tone look him more Commander Keenish. (Keen has a purple shirt, a blue jeans, a yellow helmet and red/white shoes. The only few green dots are on his helmet?) And why makes a blue tone him more Mortimerish?
szemi wrote:I think you misunderstood something. Martinez will look like Mortimer from Keen 9 or NetKeen except he will be blue instead of red.
But he has black pants.
szemi wrote:Please vote, because I'm ... . But like I said, vote.
Why voting, when you take the blue variant anyways?

P.S.: I don't like the eyebrows they look a bit strange. It would look better if you would remove the two grey dots or make them light grey. (This is just my personal opinion)
StupidBunny
format c:

Post by StupidBunny »

VikingBoyBilly wrote:No, Stupid Bunny, you're misunderstanding. The Mortimer in Keen 9 is too red. Martinez can't be red, or they'll look the same, so he is changing everything on Martinez that's green to blue so it won't look identical to Mortimer and there won't be too many greens.

Get it?
Yeah thanks it totally makes sense now
VikingBoyBilly
Vorticon Elite
Location: The spaghetti island of the faces of dinosaur world for a vacation

Post by VikingBoyBilly »

And green, the compliment (and thus opposite) to magenta (keen's shirt), is too Keenish, and he can't look like Keen either. So blue (which is 50% of magenta) is the obvious choice to be totally unlike Keen in all manners.
"I don't trust players. Not one bit." - Levellass
StupidBunny
format c:

Post by StupidBunny »

Besides, I often get green confused with red, being colorblind and all. Therefore by making him blue he will look less, and therefore more, Mortimerish.
Paramultart
VBB's Partner in Crime

Post by Paramultart »

Why can't everything just be magenta? Also beer also drunk also scoolk buss unlocked
"Father Mabeuf was surveying his plants"
szemi
Vorticon Elite

Post by szemi »

Okay, let's see again:

I created this topic as I planned a new design for Martinez(which I already finished), because with his blue jeans he looked like Keenish, not Mortimerish(Mortimer has black pants, not blue!). It's the same as Mortimer's design from Keen 9 or NetKeen except Martinez has blue M on his helmet, blue T-Shirt and blue stripes on his shoes + black pants. I started a poll whether you like the blue or the green design. But as I saw, people like the green Martinez better, but since I planned the blue one earlier and it fits the black helmet and pants very well, that's why I decided to change him to blue.

@Dr.Colossus: No, not too many blue. Look at Mortimer in black pants (not blue pants) from NetKeen or Keen 9. Then he is too red or what? Moreover, in the initial version of Keen 9 Mortimer's pants are blue, just like Keen's, but in the later versions it's black-grey as well as in NetKeen, so I follow that Mortimer design and not the first that's in the initial version of Keen 9.

P.S. Theme is closed after all.
Yeah, piece of cake!
Cobalt
Vorticon Elite

Post by Cobalt »

Keenish? Mortimerish? :confused
I thought Mortimer was a Keen with a red shirt and black helmet. I don't understand how a green shirt leans more one way and blue leads to the other when the definition of "mortimerish" is just another color of keenish.
I'm the cool blue keener.
szemi
Vorticon Elite

Post by szemi »

Cobalt wrote:Keenish? Mortimerish? :confused
I thought Mortimer was a Keen with a red shirt and black helmet. I don't understand how a green shirt leans more one way and blue leads to the other when the definition of "mortimerish" is just another color of keenish.
Man, in the first release of Keen 9 Mortimer has blue pants. In the later versions he has black.
Yeah, piece of cake!