Terror from Outer Space

Here is where to post about the latest Commander Keen fangame or modification you've finished, a new website you've made, or another Keen-related creation.
Gridlock
Vorticon Elite

Post by Gridlock »

I'm finally getting around to playing this, and I am definitely enjoying the mod so far. Except for a few spots, the difficulty has been very manageable on normal mode. I've encountered a few minor problems, but nothing too serious.

The level designs I've played so far (through the Cratom Refinery) have been very good. Again, there are a few spots where enemies/hazards can become tricky, but nothing that's not manageable.

The graphical style is quite interesting as well. The Trogg Pod was my only real complaint- while the level looks super cool, it can be a bit hard on the eyes. I like that there's plenty of details, and a lot of the graphics really stand out.

Also, this terminal object is a really cool reference to Metroid Fusion's security rooms (bet you're surprised anyone noticed).

Armageddon Begins Again. The Alphamatic has arrived.

Atroxian Realm: viewtopic.php?f=4&t=3536
The Alphamatic: viewtopic.php?f=4&t=4086
troublesomekeen
Vorticon Elite

Post by troublesomekeen »

No but really. How do you get past this part? (3rd Beta)

I'm stumped. How did anyone else get past this part in the Trogg Pod? Well? Speak up! Will the real Keen please stand up?
Last edited by troublesomekeen on Tue Jul 11, 2017 7:31, edited 1 time in total.
Commander Keen in... Canteloupe Quest!
Roobar
Vorticon Elite

Post by Roobar »

Well, I used F10+J + F10+G :P.
Plasma Captain
Vorticon Elite

Post by Plasma Captain »

Excellent timing and a save state. You have to jump at just the right moment to both dodge the mouth... thing and land on the next... bulging... veiny... platform.
robertl81
Vortininja

Post by robertl81 »

wiivn wrote:Well, I used F10+J + F10+G :P.
In fact, that part there, it's too difficult.
I hope that in the next revision of the game, the platforms are fixed and do not disappear.
Dr.Colossus
Vortininja

Post by Dr.Colossus »

robertl81 wrote:In fact, that part there, it's too difficult.
I hope that in the next revision of the game, the platforms are fixed and do not disappear.
I removed the middle "diappearing platform" and replaced it with a "jump-through" platform. Now it's much easier.
NY00123
Vorticon Elite

Post by NY00123 »

I completed this mod, third beta, on Hard difficulty yesterday. So, it shouldn't be a surprise that is feels tough in such a case... especially when it comes to certain creatures and hazards! Although, with a bit of practice you can learn how to tackle, well, at least some of them. (Oh, and yeah, in-map saving...)

A few comments about specific maps:
- Why do I feel like Keen is (still) *swimming* in the Space Station map? Guess it's not that different from what actually happens... It may be just me.
- I recall the Swamp map to be a favorite of mine. It may be the case for the simple reason of having a different (and outside) feeling, in comparison to all maps visited earlier. The fact that the tune you hear in this map (but also in the first map visited named Bridge and more) is played may have added to that opinion. Furthermore, I don't remember another similar usage of such bubbles at the moment..
- The map Explorer, well, is also different from other maps (not just in this mod!) in at least one clear way. That is clearly a good point.

Many thanks for making this modification alive!
Levellass
S-Triazine

Post by Levellass »

Possibly spacing Keen needs a slower animation and sound thingamajig, to give the impression of floating more.
What you really need, not what you think you ought to want.
Dr.Colossus
Vortininja

Post by Dr.Colossus »

Gridlock wrote:Also, this terminal object is a really cool reference to Metroid Fusion's security rooms (bet you're surprised anyone noticed).
I was hoping that someone would notice. I am a big fan of the Metroid series. There's also other backgound stuff from Metroid implemented in this mod.
NY00123 wrote:- Why do I feel like Keen is (still) *swimming* in the Space Station map? Guess it's not that different from what actually happens... It may be just me.
I slowed down the animation speed and disabled the swimming sound.

If there are no further suggestions for improvement I will tomorrow release the final version.
NY00123
Vorticon Elite

Post by NY00123 »

Dr.Colossus wrote:
Gridlock wrote:Also, this terminal object is a really cool reference to Metroid Fusion's security rooms (bet you're surprised anyone noticed).
I was hoping that someone would notice. I am a big fan of the Metroid series. There's also other backgound stuff from Metroid implemented in this mod.
Ah, almost forgotten about that!

Sadly, no, I'm not familiar with that series. But, I did notice the object, initially thinking it is some kind of a collectible item. :confused
Dr.Colossus wrote:I slowed down the animation speed and disabled the swimming sound.
At least, I hear no swimming sound in the third beta, so I guess what you've said does not imply it is a very recent addition (to a later revision of the mod). Again, maybe it's just me.
Syllypryde
Vorticon Elite

Post by Syllypryde »

This mod is awesome!!! The graphics, monster patching, level design, story are all top notch. It is a bit difficult, even on easy, but even that does not deter me from enjoying this, and still avoiding in-level saving (at least when I am not practicing.). The only gripes (and these are petty to say the least) is the blatant ripping of Keen 2, even in three of the level names. Even then, Vorticon graphics in a Galaxy mod look kick-ass, not to mention blending that environment with the new graphics. I enjoy all the monster replacements, new hazards, and even a few new elements not seen in a mod before.

It is cool how it seems the coolest mods just happen to show up completely out of nowhere. I had heard absolutely nothing about this until it was released. I am progressing nicely through easy and should be able to begin a normal run soon.

I did use the warp cheat to skim through all the levels on all three skill levels and yes, this will be a very difficult mod. As for bugs, I have not really encountered any, then again I am playing one of the updated versions of the game.

I love this mod and I am looking forward to seeing more mods from Dr. Colossus in the future.
.niarb ym fo
snoitulovnoc eht tuaba
selbbarcs ssensuoicsnoc
rehgih a ekil smees
Dr.Colossus
Vortininja

Post by Dr.Colossus »

OK final version

TTFOS_Final.zip
NY00123 wrote:Many thanks for making this modification alive!
Syllypryde wrote:I love this mod and I am looking forward to seeing more mods from Dr. Colossus in the future.
:blush
szemi
Vorticon Elite

Post by szemi »

Final release? Haha, same here with Mart4. LOL
Yeah, piece of cake!
tulip
Flower Pot

Post by tulip »

cool! I'll have something to play at the long weekend!
Image You crack me up little buddy!
DoomJedi
Vorticon Elite

Post by DoomJedi »

Dr.Colossus wrote:OK final version
:blush
Change the thread's title then :)

Re-started playing it, hope will be no more updates.

Art of this mod is very good quality, but less good than of Bernie's.
I love the plot idea in general with those "brain-attaching" things, big fan of Alien....
Love the good attempt to bring Vorticon ship into Galaxy engine.
But I love most the enemies of this mod, so challenging and original...very good set of enemies and hazards.

Overall so far this is a great and inspiring mod. Interesting, creative.