Misc Programming

A general chat area, here you can post anything that doesn't belong in another forum.
KeenEmpire
Intellectuality

Misc Programming

Post by KeenEmpire »

There's enough programming stuff from recently that I thought I would create a thread. Feel free to add any older references I may have missed.

John Carmack on functional programming (Haskell, Scheme). Continues in part 5.

He's somewhat speaking in generalities, but we can't really expect anything more when it comes to industry.
"In order to ensure our security, and continuing stability, the Kingdom has been reorganized into the First Vorticon Intellectuality!" Image
KeenEmpire
Intellectuality

Post by KeenEmpire »

"In order to ensure our security, and continuing stability, the Kingdom has been reorganized into the First Vorticon Intellectuality!" Image
Levellass
S-Triazine

Post by Levellass »

XKCD on functional programming: http://xkcd.com/1270/
What you really need, not what you think you ought to want.
KeenEmpire
Intellectuality

Post by KeenEmpire »

I'm not sure I would describe abstract mathematics/functional programming as "flexible", in fact, both lack a common programming feature (mutable values or side-effects).

They probably mean "flexible" in the interesting sense that scheme, despite having a tiny lambda calculus core, somehow manages to accomplish all common programming features.
Levellass
S-Triazine

Post by Levellass »

Sarcasm fail.
KeenEmpire
Intellectuality

Post by KeenEmpire »

I don't think that was the sarcastic part; in fact, I don't think any of it was sarcastic. That structure clearly suggests X combines the positive attributes of Y with the negative attribute of Y, with flexibility listed among the positives.
Levellass
S-Triazine

Post by Levellass »

We should ask the man himself.