Cosmo's Cosmic Adventure II: HUMANIZED!!! (W.I.P.)

You can discuss anything about fan-made Commander Keen games here.
T-Squared
Vortininja

Cosmo's Cosmic Adventure II: HUMANIZED!!! (W.I.P.)

Post by T-Squared »

Hey all! It's been a while since we've had a thread about my mod here for quite some time! And yes, I know there exists one already on K:M, but this seems to be where everyone else hangs out.

I'm sorry to say there hasn't been much on the front for the mod, because I've had a mixture of college, life, and overall lack of motivation to work at times, with small bursts of creativity here and there. It's been VERY slow, and it's very hard to come up with original designs. However, I do have some kudos to give out to a lot of people for their help and support in this project. Namely levellass, szevvy, lemm, and those who created the Wombat Game Tools.

However, I'm getting very demotivated to continue, because I'm having to make all of these graphics by myself, shape by shape, and at times, pixel by pixel.

I've even put together a few music pieces for the game, but I haven't been able to find time or patience to really complete them.

Even more, the sounds are going to be a problem, because I am having problems attempting to make proper sounds (They're either too high, or too low.)

However, thankfully, I completed the story last year with a believable plot, which makes me very happy. (However, I have to severely truncate it to fit within the confines of the text strings in the program executable.)

Even more, this project has been 6 years in development just by me, and I don't even see this being finished in the next 4 years.

Because of this, I think it's time I extend my hand out to those of you in the Commander Keen Community for help.

Here's my progress so far on the mod: https://www.dropbox.com/sh/ul8gsihslzh11op/ypJGwVA1O0 (WARNING: SPOILERS)

And yes, on the tilesets, I do intend to squeeze all the space I can out of them. (i.e. using every free 8x8 square I can efficiently.)

If you have any particular expertise in music or game tile graphics (stupid question, duh! :crazy) , I would appreciate your help.
Cosmo II: HUMANIZED!!! Progress:
Graphics: 15% Complete
Story: 100% Complete
Music: 5% Complete
Programming Modifications: 5% Complete (FINALLY! SOME PROGRESS!)

http://www.tsqproductions.com
Paramultart
VBB's Partner in Crime

Post by Paramultart »

Glad to see you're still interested in finishing this mod. I enjoyed Cosmo a bit as a kid, and it makes me happy to see people modding games other than Keen. I think I feel about Monster Bash the same as you seem to Cosmo. Best of luck to you on your mod!
"Father Mabeuf was surveying his plants"
Levellass
S-Triazine

Post by Levellass »

I have some unused IMF music, and I'm pretty good at making sounds, though not a maven. This might be good as a shared project on dropbox, you'd be amazed how fast things can progress that way.
What you really need, not what you think you ought to want.
Cobalt
Vorticon Elite

Post by Cobalt »

I'll help. Let's make it a Billy the Blazehog/Cosmo crossover! :D
I'm the cool blue keener.
T-Squared
Vortininja

Post by T-Squared »

Cobalt wrote:I'll help. Let's make it a Billy the Blazehog/Cosmo crossover! :D
Sorry, but I've had an idea already in place for 6 years. Besides, I think that idea would be better for NetKeen. But you may help with the graphics if you want! (No Sonic stuff. please.)
levellass wrote:I have some unused IMF music, and I'm pretty good at making sounds, though not a maven. This might be good as a shared project on dropbox, you'd be amazed how fast things can progress that way.
I'd like to hear your music! :D If anyone wishes to help with graphics, music, or sounds, I will share my DropBox folder.

Roobar
Vorticon Elite

Post by Roobar »

But this already looks like a crossover between Cosmo, Keen and Jazz 1.

Don't worry about motivation. Pixel drawing is hard and tiresome, but at the same time is not appreciated :D. Sometimes it took me half of a day to draw just a few 16x16 tiles. Each tile is important, so after a lot of work I feel like I've progressed much and all. It's like "This is gonna be epic!". But in the end of the day, no one cares and even notice these tiles. That's a bit depressing and disappointing. At the very least you'll be bashed for your tiles that you didn't put enough effort in them ;).
T-Squared
Vortininja

Post by T-Squared »

wiivn wrote:But this already looks like a crossover between Cosmo, Keen and Jazz 1.
There's a good reason for that, and it's in episode 3. :P

Levellass
S-Triazine

Post by Levellass »

Indeed, it turns out that Epic Games is behind everything and trying to destroy the Apogee universe.

I'd like to hear your music! Grin If anyone wishes to help with graphics, music, or sounds, I will share my DropBox folder.
As I said I'm pretty good with PC sounds.

This is a collection of music made for the Pirate mod that was never used, I think some songs may be too big to use but most of them should be ok if you see anything you like: https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/394 ... lymorn.zip
Paramultart
VBB's Partner in Crime

Post by Paramultart »

I'd personally like to see all of the borrowed art thrown away from this mod.
When I play Cosmo 4, if that day ever comes, I want it to be a unique experience and not feel hashed together.
I remember seeing some work done on this mod years ago and it looked pretty promising, but the Jazz and Keen references need to go.
If you're going to do something, do it right.
Cobalt
Vorticon Elite

Post by Cobalt »

leave the sonic references in plz.
I'm the cool blue keener.
Levellass
S-Triazine

Post by Levellass »

Well that's an interesting dilemma; on the one hand references are neat and nifty little things, injokes and shoutouts. I like to have the odd few tucked away. On the other hand there's a perception that they're jokey, that if they're too obvious they somehow take something away from he finished product. It's a matter of perception methinks.
T-Squared
Vortininja

Post by T-Squared »

Levellass wrote:Well that's an interesting dilemma; on the one hand references are neat and nifty little things, injokes and shoutouts. I like to have the odd few tucked away. On the other hand there's a perception that they're jokey, that if they're too obvious they somehow take something away from he finished product. It's a matter of perception methinks.
Reboot (the TV show) did it all the time, and it didn't take away from anything. :P

Levellass
S-Triazine

Post by Levellass »

They noticeably decreased it though as their episode quality increased.

Season 1... *shudder*
Paramultart
VBB's Partner in Crime

Post by Paramultart »

My sisters and I were obsessed about that show as a kid.
We never did find out what happened to Mouse... MOUSE... Time to revisit the show, I suppose.

But yeah, references/homages are one thing, but entire level themes is just kind of ridiculous. I love the "Humanizer" idea, but I'm really not interested in playing a Keen level in Cosmo. (Unless you were to make another mod in which Cosmo traveled to Vorticon IV... That would be interesting and appropriate)
Levellass
S-Triazine

Post by Levellass »

Mouse? Wasn't she the one who hooked up with that search engine Australian guy?

They did so very well right up until the last half of their last season.