OFF TOPIC THREAD: Where derailing the thread is impossible!

A general chat area, here you can post anything that doesn't belong in another forum.
Roobar
Vorticon Elite

Post by Roobar »

It's crazy watching a visualization of World Births and Deaths in Real-Time

By the time I wrote this, approximately 1500+ babies were born! That's crazy. Felt like I'm wasting my time while others are increasing the population of Earth.

Not surprisingly, in India are the most births...
Grimson
The Dragoner

Post by Grimson »

403 - Access forbidden :(
"All those thousands upon thousands of junk foods made for me on the various planets I explored make me wonder how I'm still alive."
Levellass
S-Triazine

Post by Levellass »

wiivn wrote:By the time I wrote this, approximately 1500+ babies were born! That's crazy. Felt like I'm wasting my time while others are increasing the population of Earth.
because if there's one thing Earth needs right now it's more people!

Do your race proud and father dozens of children with different mothers, none of which you can support!

What's more surprising is Nigeria, so many people...
What you really need, not what you think you ought to want.
Grimson
The Dragoner

Post by Grimson »

People in countries with inflating birth rates usually have little option or knowledge of the consequences of having more and more offspring. It's been a traditional way to combat high infant mortality rates and ensure the future of the family farm, but as medicine has developed and all the children suddenly survive only to suffer from malnourishment, this behaviour only causes more bad than good.

Cases like these are especially interesting but unfortunate:
http://www.nature.com/news/2006/060213/ ... 213-3.html
The research: http://www.plosmedicine.org/article/inf ... ed.0030087
"All those thousands upon thousands of junk foods made for me on the various planets I explored make me wonder how I'm still alive."
Cobalt
Vorticon Elite

Post by Cobalt »

Grimson wrote:People in countries with inflating birth rates usually have little option or knowledge of the consequences of having more and more offspring. It's been a traditional way to combat high infant mortality rates and ensure the future of the family farm, but as medicine has developed and all the children suddenly survive only to suffer from malnourishment, this behaviour only causes more bad than good.
Kids being dead is better than kids being malnourished. I understand. :dopekeen
I'm the cool blue keener.
Grimson
The Dragoner

Post by Grimson »

No, fewer healthy kids is better than a dozen hungry ones. Malnourishment, if not devastating by itself, can lead to serious developmental disorders.
Cobalt
Vorticon Elite

Post by Cobalt »

Because as it's plain to see by everyone, all hungry kids wish they were dead. Every. Last. One of them. That's why they're not all killing themselves.

Therefore adults are correct in making these decisions before they can speak for themselves.
Grimson
The Dragoner

Post by Grimson »

You're missing the point. I'm talking about avoiding excessive reproduction through contraception.
Cobalt
Vorticon Elite

Post by Cobalt »

You're parroting the word "contraception" which was a term invented to avoid calling it legalizing murder.
Paramultart
VBB's Partner in Crime

Post by Paramultart »

I think Cobalt is joking. Contraception should be not only encouraged, but free and possibly enforced. I have tried being liberal and keeping quiet about my views on abortion, but let's just say I don't think to highly of it.
"Father Mabeuf was surveying his plants"
Cobalt
Vorticon Elite

Post by Cobalt »

Contraception is pre-murder, abortion is post-murder. Your choice for population control is Abstinence or murder. One of these answers does not have deadly consequences.
Grimson
The Dragoner

Post by Grimson »

Cobalt wrote:Contraception is pre-murder, abortion is post-murder. Your choice for population control is Abstinence or murder. One of these answers does not have deadly consequences.
Cobalt
Vorticon Elite

Post by Cobalt »

I don't know what that means.
VikingBoyBilly
Vorticon Elite
Location: The spaghetti island of the faces of dinosaur world for a vacation

Post by VikingBoyBilly »

I coincidentally happen to agree with all of Cobalt's points. Cobalt should be applauded for his most correct argument.
"I don't trust players. Not one bit." - Levellass
Levellass
S-Triazine

Post by Levellass »

We must kill all the overpopulating brown people (And maybe some of the yellow ones) this is far easier than actually curbing our consumption despite the fact that we consume far more resources.

Paramultart wrote:I think Cobalt is joking. Contraception should be not only encouraged, but free and possibly enforced. I have tried being liberal and keeping quiet about my views on abortion, but let's just say I don't think to highly of it.
How precisely would you enforce contraception? I think it's a great idea in itself since it avoids a lot of abortion. (And MAN is there a lot of abortion. Take a guess at how many per year, then google it.)
What you really need, not what you think you ought to want.