Keen 6 Mini-MOD: Aliens Ate My Babysitter ...Again

Here is where to post about the latest Commander Keen fangame or modification you've finished, a new website you've made, or another Keen-related creation.
Benvolio
Vorticon Elite

Post by Benvolio »

ah go easy Szemi, the guy is just trying to figure it out for the first time, and besides he may have bad internet connection hence the initial duplication of his post.
szemi
Vorticon Elite

Post by szemi »

oops, sorry, man.
wolfcub7
Vortininja

Post by wolfcub7 »

Looks nice, although I'm totally stuck in the first level. I can't figure out what the other flip does because it apparently doesn't make the platforms behind the blue door move...so I can't get past that point. Either I'm doing something wrong or there's something wrong with my file. I think I did do everything right....unlzexe and all...

Oh well.

Would you please make the cheats available?
I'm one of those who can't and don't want to waste hours and hours trying to get past something but would like to see as much of a mod as possible.

You know, those who don't wish to see spoilers can just not use the cheats, as you've given a fair warning that using them may cause spoilers.
I think it would be more fair for cheats to be available for those who don't mind possibly seeing spoilers. That you'd leave it up to the gamer. :)
Nospike
Keen Minecrafter

Post by Nospike »

I kind of agree with the cheats thingy. On the other hand, in the case of this particular mod, it's 100% WORTH IT to play it the legit way and experience the awesome joy at finally having found the secret levels. :)
wolfcub7
Vortininja

Post by wolfcub7 »

Maybe, but nontheless the freedom of choice would be nicer.
After all games are essentially for fun-having, and cheats are part of that. (I for one sometimes enjoy the jump cheat, it's lots of fun to fly around.) And sometimes the games just get too frustrating which sucks all the fun out of the rest of the game. Cheats make it possible to avoid that when you can use them before you get too frustrated.

I by the way am no longer stuck at the point I mentioned. I'd forgotten it's possible to ride on those things that jump on you and try to kill you with their belly-spikes or legs or whatever. :)

EDIT:
But now I'm stuck in the Dome of Spikes. Is it a necessary level or can I just skip it? It looks necessary seeing to that it was locked behind that other level...
It's just that after I flip the switch down below, I don't know where to go. I assume I should go up, but I can't pogo-jump or even impossible-pogo-jump any higher than where the first pole is. Is there a secret passageway somewhere I should take?
(I could look into the Wiki but I don't want to accidentally read too much about the level.)
NY00123
Vorticon Elite

Post by NY00123 »

As it's been more than 3 years since the release of (the first revision of) AAMBA, I actually considered making a minor update with the cheats re-enabled, and possibly fixing just a few (less than 5?) mapping bugs. As you can see, though, it hasn't happened so far...

Anyway, since I already provided a patch file for someone else who asked for the cheats to be re-enabled, I'd just give a link to the same file for now (to be used with revision 3 of AAMBA).

Temp(?) link: http://ny.duke4.net/temp/AAMBA_NC.PAT

This should be the same as the file AAMBA.PAT as given in r3, just with the cheats re-enabled.

Oh yeah, one warning: Just in case you haven't noticed, the ability to visit a few sections in some of the levels depends on the difficulty. This is especially noticeable in the very first place you visit (differing from the BwB megarocket).

Finally, thanks for trying out AAMBA!

EDIT: To wolfcub7, which difficulty have you selected for the current playthrough? And yeah, Dome of Spikes must be completed. Regarding the switches, just in case you haven't done so, it is good to take advantage of these signs near them - basically SGA (Standard Galactic Alphabet) letters.
wolfcub7
Vortininja

Post by wolfcub7 »

I'm playing on Normal difficulty.
Yes, I know the signs next to the switches help finding the thing it switched on or off, but the thing is I can't find anywhere new I haven't gone yet, except for that ledge which I cannot reach even with the pogo.

And thanks for the patch file. I'll try it. :)

EDIT:
Hmm...What command I should use now?
aamba_nc.bat is illegal with or without the original aamba.bat in the folder. And if I type the original aamba.bat, the cheats don't work.
NY00123
Vorticon Elite

Post by NY00123 »

Just rename aamba.pat (the one which disables cheats) to, say, aamba.pat.bak, and then rename aamba_nc.pat to aamba.pat. After that's done you may continue as usual.

I'm a bit unsure regarding the exact location where you have the problem. Is that revision 3 of AAMBA which you've downloaded? If there's a switch near the location, what is the SGA letter that is shown near the switch? I guess a screenshot is going to be much more useful, though.
wolfcub7
Vortininja

Post by wolfcub7 »

Cool, thanks, now the cheats work! :)

This point. Going down to the right is the beginning of the level. I've already switched the switch down the pole and so on. Unless there's some secret passage somewhere that takes forward, the only way I can see to go is up to that ledge above me but I can't reach it.
NY00123
Vorticon Elite

Post by NY00123 »

wolfcub7 wrote:Cool, thanks, now the cheats work! :)

This point. Going down to the right is the beginning of the level. I've already switched the switch down the pole and so on. Unless there's some secret passage somewhere that takes forward, the only way I can see to go is up to that ledge above me but I can't reach it.
Alright, I see. I think someone asked about this (or at least a similar jump) beforehand. It is surely possible to make the jump on any difficulty. The Impossible Pogo Trick may be a must, of course. Try going to the very right of the ledge on which Keen stands before doing the jump.
wolfcub7
Vortininja

Post by wolfcub7 »

I've tried, but it doesn't help. (This time I used the jump cheat, maybe some day I manage it without.)

So I went through the Dome of Spikes on Normal difficulty but there was nothing I needed to be there for. In fact I went through four levels I could access and none of them had anything useful, and now I can't get past the cliff nor the Grabbiter.
Are you sure the necessary items are available on all difficulty levels?
If they're not, why? Shouldn't the game be beatable on all difficulties on their own? :)
NY00123
Vorticon Elite

Post by NY00123 »

wolfcub7 wrote:I've tried, but it doesn't help. (This time I used the jump cheat, maybe some day I manage it without.)
Looks like another sign of this pack being, well, "somewhat" tougher than vanilla Keen 6...
So I went through the Dome of Spikes on Normal difficulty but there was nothing I needed to be there for.
Checked the current state of a few nearby trees on the world map, appearing to block some path?
In fact I went through four levels I could access and none of them had anything useful, and now I can't get past the cliff nor the Grabbiter.
Are you sure the necessary items are available on all difficulty levels?
If they're not, why? Shouldn't the game be beatable on all difficulties on their own? :)
Rather than climbing the cliff or feeding the Grabbiter right now, what about going to the bottom-right?
wolfcub7
Vortininja

Post by wolfcub7 »

Ah, right, of course. I didn't notice I can go there. xD I think I should catch up on my sleep for a change... :P
robertl81
Vortininja

Post by robertl81 »

Even with cheats enabled in Level Base of unknow, I not understand how i to proceed on a regular basis, to arrive to the door at the top, (the one that leads into the room to take the special gem).
Also then, once walked in the under door (open it with the special gem), I see that we would need an additional special gem (not found anywhere), to be used to turn off the blocks to get to the card port rockets.
The gameplay, is easy mode.
Last edited by robertl81 on Tue Dec 31, 2013 17:14, edited 1 time in total.
NY00123
Vorticon Elite

Post by NY00123 »

Hey,
robertl81 wrote:Even with cheats enabled in Level Base of unknow, I not understand how i to proceed on a regular basis, to arrive to the door at the top, (the one that leads into the room to take the special gem).
Also then, once walked in the under door (open it with the special gem), I see that we would need an additional special gem (not found anywhere), to be used to turn off the blocks to get to the card port rockets.
The gameplay, is easy mode.
There have been some hints given in this topic (if not the whole solution), but if you want just a few of this, then:
- Already found the way to the top-right door?
- Further checked out the HINTS.TXT file?