Misconceptions

This is where you can post your Commander Keen related stories, artwork, or other stuff that is related to Commander Keen but otherwise doesn't belong in another forum.
StupidBunny
format c:

Post by StupidBunny »

mortimermcmirestinks wrote:I was terrified of that island!
I'm still terrified of that island. No joke.

I remembered also that we always called scrubs "baseballs" and that the arms looked like weird big-lipped clown mouths somehow. Also, that Flects are parrots holding riot shields or something in front of them.

Probably as a result of colorblindness, the Vorticon Elders largely camouflaged with the Mothership background and as such looked more or less like disembodied eyes floating in a box with some weird distortion stuff going on around them. I think I laughed when I finally realized it was an old guy with a cane.

And yes, Emerald City is totally a cactus! However, I always thought the Treasury was a set dinner table with chairs of varying sizes around it. Capital City and Border City are blue mountains...I think that someone else actually mentioned that one in another thread, ages ago.
Paramultart
VBB's Partner in Crime

Post by Paramultart »

mortimermcmirestinks wrote:As one of those kids who only played in God Mode...
...I was... I was unaware "those kids" even existed...
The way I understood it, there was DOS gamers and casual gamers... nothing inbetween.
"Father Mabeuf was surveying his plants"
Levellass
S-Triazine

Post by Levellass »

I remember when young going to a cousin's house and seeing a weird flat Keen game. They pressed some keys and suddenly became a floating bubble moving through the air.

Captainkeen wrote:Also later I was playing keen1 and showing it to a friend and I said this is how to knock a yorp unconscious and he said no it doesn't look like hes unconcious he's just in a lot of pain. I stil don't know who is right about that one.
Well, you stand on his eye... I'm thinking pain.

mortimermcmirestinks wrote:I remembered also that we always called scrubs "baseballs" and that the arms looked like weird big-lipped clown mouths somehow. Also, that Flects are parrots holding riot shields or something in front of them.
Aaah yes, took a while to figure out those were teeth ad not some sort of mirrors.
What you really need, not what you think you ought to want.
Fleexy
Tool Smith

Post by Fleexy »

StupidBunny wrote:And yes, Emerald City is totally a cactus! However, I always thought the Treasury was a set dinner table with chairs of varying sizes around it. Capital City and Border City are blue mountains...I think that someone else actually mentioned that one in another thread, ages ago.
That's what I always thought!

Also, I was superafraid of that one dark dome level that ends with the Garg statue. Honestly, it's still a little unnerving.
Keening_Product
Kuliwho?

Re: Misconceptions

Post by Keening_Product »

troublesomekeen wrote:3. Poison Slugs and Sleeping Slugs were two entirely different creatures.
The sleeping slugs were owls to me. Don't ask. I have no idea why I thought owls would be underground. I think I assumed they had tunnels that Keen couldn't see.

troublesomekeen wrote:5. Perilous... House?
There was no Pit to be seen. That chunk of brown and black pixels looked more like a Farm building from Warcraft 1 to me.
http://www.spriters-resource.com/resour ... /32476.png
Same here. Looks like the bunkers from Raptor to me and I still need to focus to see the pit as it should be seen.

troublesomekeen wrote:6. What is Keen Waving at?
Well, that Keen's looking up is news to me! I never realised until now!

troublesomekeen wrote:9. Keen drives the BWB Megarocket to the Forbidden Pyramid.
Well at least you realised the BwB was a level! It took me a few years to realise that!

And yeah, my sister and I spent ages trying to get to that pyramid. I tried so many times to break into the forest, even up around Crystalus. I only found out how you get there a few years ago with the help of the KeenWiki. I tried collecting fish too, but never inchworms.

Paramultart wrote:The TREASURY IS A TURTLE!
Same here!

Paramultart wrote:These huts were Native American tepees:
Those are huts? Wow, I always saw them as very small parts of a mountain range or something. I mean, keen IS in a canyon after all.

mortimermcmirestinks wrote:As one of those kids who only played in God Mode
:redeyes

StupidBunny wrote:
mortimermcmirestinks wrote:I was terrified of that island!
It was the fire island that I dreaded! Too Hot! 8)

EDIT: Also only just noticed the bunny slippers in troublesomkeen's KD screenshot:
Keening_Product was defeated before the game.

"Wise words. One day I may even understand what they mean." - Levellass
tulip
Flower Pot

Post by tulip »

Keening_Product wrote: The sleeping slugs were owls to me. Don't ask. I have no idea why I thought owls would be underground. I think I assumed they had tunnels that Keen couldn't see.
We got something in common there. I never had a problem with the impossibility of getting underground, though. It's not like it was the first time I saw something inside solid walls in a 2d game.
Image You crack me up little buddy!
Keening_Product
Kuliwho?

Post by Keening_Product »

Yay! I vote #1 owl mod from Tulip... because my modding just results in serious errors.

Actually, I think I might have thought they burrowed like some toads do, not had tunnels. I think I learnt about burrowing toads at about the same time as I started Keening. I'm not sure though. The interpretation lives on, the rationale does not.
Keening_Product was defeated before the game.

"Wise words. One day I may even understand what they mean." - Levellass
Levellass
S-Triazine

Post by Levellass »

Say, how long did it take everyone to figure out they can stand on that owl in Keen Dreams?

I found it surprisingly fast by accident and it took some time to figure out what the heck it was.
XkyRauh
Mortimer's RightHand Man

Post by XkyRauh »

I never pronounced Shikadi the correct way. Everyone online seems to pronounce it shi-KAH-dee, but growing up I'd always pronounced it SHICK-uh-DIE, which, looking back, makes absolutely no sense. :)

I always called the turtle/technology center things "The Technodrome," because I was a Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles kid, too. :3

I had nightmares about Vorticons for a few years. :(

Years and years before YouTube, I'd do "playthroughs" of the Keen games, narrating the level in an advisory fashion. "Be sure to keep an eye out for the Fleex up ahead--they use the ear on their stalk to locate Keen, so if one's headed your way, just hold still and they'll pause to look around--that's your chance to fire!"

I never found the way to the secret levels in Keen1, 4, or 5 without help. My cousin showed me 1. The Internet helped me with 4 and 5. It was truly a bizarre experience, finding out there was this entire section of the games I'd never played before.

When I was in grade school and very much into Keen1-6, and getting hyped for TUIT, a classmate told me about Keen Dreams, but I didn't believe him. The whole thing sounded like he was trolling me--Keen in his pajamas, collecting Boobus Bombs to fight a giant Potato? Pfft, yeah right! (Sorry, Jesse, for not believing you.)

I still write myself notes in SGA. :)
Levellass
S-Triazine

Post by Levellass »

XkyRauh wrote:I never pronounced Shikadi the correct way. Everyone online seems to pronounce it shi-KAH-dee, but growing up I'd always pronounced it SHICK-uh-DIE, which, looking back, makes absolutely no sense. :)
Eh, I did the same.

XkyRauh wrote: "Be sure to keep an eye out for the Fleex up ahead--they use the ear on their stalk to locate Keen, so if one's headed your way, just hold still and they'll pause to look around--that's your chance to fire!"
Wait... WHAT?!!!!
XkyRauh
Mortimer's RightHand Man

Post by XkyRauh »

Levellass wrote:
XkyRauh wrote: "Be sure to keep an eye out for the Fleex up ahead--they use the ear on their stalk to locate Keen, so if one's headed your way, just hold still and they'll pause to look around--that's your chance to fire!"
Wait... WHAT?!!!!
You weren't kidding when you say no one reads the stories, eh? ;) The Fleex, according to the Keen 6 manual, had poor eyesight (a result of spending so much time in basements designing things) and that's why they pause to lift their five-eyed glasses and peer around for Keen. If you're moving and making footfalls, they can follow you more easily! :)
Tormentor667
Vortininja

Post by Tormentor667 »

troublesomekeen wrote:5. Perilous... House?
There was no Pit to be seen. That chunk of brown and black pixels looked more like a Farm building from Warcraft 1 to me.
http://www.spriters-resource.com/resour ... /32476.png

...this is so fucl funny... I didn't realize this until now... that it's actually a pit and not a bee stock :D
lemm
Blorb

Post by lemm »

wow, i don't ever remember reading that
XkyRauh
Mortimer's RightHand Man

Post by XkyRauh »

lemm wrote:wow, i don't ever remember reading that
Check out the Keen Manual Project thread, which has a link to the Keen6 manual scan there, and check pages 15 and 16 (which is actually pages 12 and 13 in the manual)!

Edit: I should point out another misconception I had regarding the Fleex... the manual states that the Bloogs built the buildings designed by the Fleex, but because of the way things are worded in the manual, it says "Unfortunately, the Bloogs built them, devastating the sleek and elegant designs." My younger mind took that to mean the Bloogs built the Fleex themselves, and that they were robots of some sort! Haha
Levellass
S-Triazine

Post by Levellass »

That makes grammatical sense.
XkyRauh wrote:You weren't kidding when you say no one reads the stories, eh? ;) The Fleex, according to the Keen 6 manual, had poor eyesight (a result of spending so much time in basements designing things) and that's why they pause to lift their five-eyed glasses and peer around for Keen. If you're moving and making footfalls, they can follow you more easily! :)
Oh I read that in the story, I just didn't know it affected their behavior at all! I don't expect that kind of subtlety from a game of that era. It took me long enough to figure out the Robo Red.