Updated- 'The Ruin of Roib' - beta v3

Here is where to post about the latest Commander Keen fangame or modification you've finished, a new website you've made, or another Keen-related creation.
Levellass
S-Triazine

Post by Levellass »

I would support this, it could lead an interesting feel to the story and there aren't many non-Keen mods out there. (Character-wise.)
What you really need, not what you think you ought to want.
Bernie
Vorticon Elite

Post by Bernie »

also it clears up the copyright thing, so i can sell it maybe and make many billions of dollars :D
Paramultart
VBB's Partner in Crime

Post by Paramultart »

I almost did the exact same thing with Shmaynoria and its upcoming sequel; however, I think it's more appropriate that Roib stays a Keen title, and I'm sure an overwhelming majority of keeners will agree with me.
"Father Mabeuf was surveying his plants"
Keening_Product
Kuliwho?

Post by Keening_Product »

Bernie wrote:also it clears up the copyright thing, so i can sell it maybe and make many billions of dollars :D
Isn't code covered by copyright? You will still be distributing iD's code base, EXEs etc.
Keening_Product was defeated before the game.

"Wise words. One day I may even understand what they mean." - Levellass
Bernie
Vorticon Elite

Post by Bernie »

however, I think it's more appropriate that Roib stays a Keen title, and I'm sure an overwhelming majority of keeners will agree with me.
hmm. well the whole thing about him being a genius hero as a kid and a loser when grown up is pretty good imo. i might keep it as it is just cause of that.
Isn't code covered by copyright? You will still be distributing iD's code base, EXEs etc
damnit. Well if they did a thing where they officially release the engine code (like they did with Doom and Quake) can you use it then? I'm thinking not, but might aswell ask.
Paramultart
VBB's Partner in Crime

Post by Paramultart »

Bernie wrote:
however, I think it's more appropriate that Roib stays a Keen title, and I'm sure an overwhelming majority of keeners will agree with me.
hmm. well the whole thing about him being a genius hero as a kid and a loser when grown up is pretty good imo. i might keep it as it is just cause of that.
That's what I was thinking. It would be hard to describe the premise of the game without the Keen setting. Might work for Shmaynoria, though, as it's a great opportunity to use my character "Captain Ken"; Keen's downgrade.
"Father Mabeuf was surveying his plants"
Levellass
S-Triazine

Post by Levellass »

Captain Ken! Savior of... well saver of those tags you find on mattresses. IQ of 14! With his can of beans-with-bacon he travels the railways fighting injustice!

Or maybe he's just a hobo.
Nospike
Keen Minecrafter

Post by Nospike »

After finally making it to Upper Roib, I realized how much I love the music in this mod.
Seriously, it's just so good and fits the atmosphere perfectly. There's only one song in here that I didn't instantly fall in love with, the others are super memorable, catchy and very atmospheric.
Has the game's soundtrack ever been released in any way?
VikingBoyBilly
Vorticon Elite
Location: The spaghetti island of the faces of dinosaur world for a vacation

Post by VikingBoyBilly »

So will the game freezing glitches be fixed? I've been stuck on this one level for like, 3 months.
"I don't trust players. Not one bit." - Levellass
Nospike
Keen Minecrafter

Post by Nospike »

I can't really give you any *useful* advice VBB, but even after I saved a bad save in Wreck City, after a couple load attempts the game didn't freeze and I could continue normally.
Only two levels where this has happened to me are Wreck City and Gleam City.
Keening_Product
Kuliwho?

Post by Keening_Product »

Nospike wrote:After finally making it to Upper Roib, I realized how much I love the music in this mod.
Took you that long? :p
Keening_Product was defeated before the game.

"Wise words. One day I may even understand what they mean." - Levellass
Nospike
Keen Minecrafter

Post by Nospike »

Keening_Product wrote:
Nospike wrote:After finally making it to Upper Roib, I realized how much I love the music in this mod.
Took you that long? :p
I started playing about 4 days ago. :o I'd completely forgotten about this mod.
Bernie
Vorticon Elite

Post by Bernie »

Nospike wrote: Has the game's soundtrack ever been released in any way?
hehe i should do that, that'll be cute. the ruin of roib album! with the last few tracks being remixes by tiesto and calvin harris. :)
So will the game freezing glitches be fixed? I've been stuck on this one level for like, 3 months.
oh god. i fixed the mod up really well (i thought), i dunno why these sorts of things still happen :( pain in the ass. sorry.
Nospike
Keen Minecrafter

Post by Nospike »

Bernie wrote:
Nospike wrote: Has the game's soundtrack ever been released in any way?
hehe i should do that, that'll be cute. the ruin of roib album! with the last few tracks being remixes by tiesto and calvin harris. :)
It would be totally awesome to hear the original midis or even MP3s, kind of like the UTUIT releases. :)
Levellass
S-Triazine

Post by Levellass »

Bernie wrote:
oh god. i fixed the mod up really well (i thought), i dunno why these sorts of things still happen :( pain in the ass. sorry.
But which version did he play? Where did he get it?