Christmas mods

You can discuss anything about fan-made Commander Keen games here.
wolfcub7
Vortininja

Christmas mods

Post by wolfcub7 »

Is there any or can someone make, a Christmas related mod based on the Goodbye Galaxy series games?

I like the Xmas 2010 game well enough, it's beutiful and nice, I just wish it wasn't based on Keen Dreams because the controls are unpleasent. (Can't look down, can't hang on to edges, no pogo stick ect.)
szemi
Vorticon Elite

Post by szemi »

I'm planning one! :)
Yeah, piece of cake!
troublesomekeen
Vorticon Elite

Post by troublesomekeen »

None for Galaxy yet, but I do believe there one or two Christmas-y Vorticon mods. Keen Dreams was perfect for that XMAS mod. :christmas
Commander Keen in... Canteloupe Quest!
Keening_Product
Kuliwho?

Post by Keening_Product »

Please check the Keen Wiki before making a topic for everything. There are quite a few Christmas mods listed on there: http://www.shikadi.net/wiki/keen/index. ... l%3ASearch
Keening_Product was defeated before the game.

"Wise words. One day I may even understand what they mean." - Levellass
tulip
Flower Pot

Post by tulip »

I like that Keening_Product pointed out the KeenWiki, but at the same time the answer to question of this topic might remain unsatisfying, because you don't find any Galaxy christmas mods on KeenWiki. So if you must have Galaxy then the answer is no. If you're willing to try a Vorticons mod, go for Christmas Special 2004. It's one of the most pleasant mods of all time.
Image You crack me up little buddy!
wolfcub7
Vortininja

Post by wolfcub7 »

Yeah, maybe I should look into the Wiki more, but in this case I'd still started this topic because there isn't any Galaxy Christmas mods there and it'd be very possible that they just don't have a Wiki page, or are still in process.

Thanks, I'll try that Vorticon mod, too. Although I'm even less a fan of those games because their controls are even worse than Keen Dreams, and in addition they can't be saved on mid-level...But as said, I'll still try it. I just want some good Christmas Keens to play this December... :P
troublesomekeen
Vorticon Elite

Post by troublesomekeen »

wolfcub7 wrote:Thanks, I'll try that Vorticon mod, too. Although I'm even less a fan of those games because their controls are even worse than Keen Dreams, and in addition they can't be saved on mid-level...But as said, I'll still try it.
Gasp! Don't say that around here! :p
I admit I felt much the same way, but I've come to like Vorticons (the games, not the creatures) quite a lot in recent times.
Commander Keen in... Canteloupe Quest!
Benvolio
Vorticon Elite

Post by Benvolio »

tulip wrote:If you're willing to try a Vorticons mod, go for Christmas Special 2004. It's one of the most pleasant mods of all time.
Thanks, man!! It's certainly a quirky mod, with rather a strange blend of two completely different graphical styles! I think it worked well. You'd miss Levellord's presence around these parts and the inherent zaniness she brought to the forum. The Christmas mod definitely benefits a lot from this, as my own stuff is so much more dry and rigid!

And, by the way, I wasn't on PCKF when you released the Easter pack in 2009, tulip, but I recently discovered the topic. So I just wanna say it's great fun, and always an honour to have such attention/tribute made to your work!
wolfcub7 wrote: I just want some good Christmas Keens to play this December
I first played Keen1 in December 2000, over the Christmas holidays, so for me Keen1 will always be the christmassiest Keen experience possible. Preferably interspersed with a spot of Cosmo. :P
wolfcub7
Vortininja

Post by wolfcub7 »

Oh, please don't get me wrong.
I like the Vorticon series as games themselves. I just can't get over the controls and no-mid-level-saving, causing me not to be too eager to play them (or mods based on them.)
But because I indeed like the games otherwise, I bought the Complete Pack from Steam some time ago, so I could perhaps someday beat the first three games as well, though it will take a long time because the controls keep me from playing that actively... :)

I think I did beat Keen 1 once when I was a kid in mid-90s, but Keen 2 and 3 still remain unbeaten. But as I probably said in another topic already, even back then I played the Goodbye Galaxy games and AAMBS much, much more.
Keening_Product
Kuliwho?

Post by Keening_Product »

Oh, I'm sorry for being so sharp wolfcub7 - I must have misread your first post and not realised you had asked for GG. Thanks Tulip for pointing that out.
Keening_Product was defeated before the game.

"Wise words. One day I may even understand what they mean." - Levellass
Roobar
Vorticon Elite

Post by Roobar »

Last edited by Roobar on Wed Dec 25, 2013 5:39, edited 1 time in total.
Nospike
Keen Minecrafter

Post by Nospike »

Hate to be that guy again, but oh my god... those VGA trees. THEY LOOK SO WRONG. Make them go away. :barf
Paramultart
VBB's Partner in Crime

Post by Paramultart »

I hate to be that guy to that guy, but those trees are probably the least detestable thing about that image. Also, Merry Christmas, everybooody.
"Father Mabeuf was surveying his plants"