Keen 6 Mini-MOD: Aliens Ate My Babysitter ...Again

Here is where to post about the latest Commander Keen fangame or modification you've finished, a new website you've made, or another Keen-related creation.
robertl81
Vortininja

Post by robertl81 »

NY00123 wrote:Hey,
robertl81 wrote:Even with cheats enabled in Level Base of unknow, I not understand how i to proceed on a regular basis, to arrive to the door at the top, (the one that leads into the room to take the special gem).
Also then, once walked in the under door (open it with the special gem), I see that we would need an additional special gem (not found anywhere), to be used to turn off the blocks to get to the card port rockets.
The gameplay, is easy mode.
There have been some hints given in this topic (if not the whole solution), but if you want just a few of this, then:
- Already found the way to the top-right door?
- Further checked out the HINTS.TXT file?

The door at the top right, you mean this door you see in the image?

If this is, I know how to get seen regularly.
But once you step inside this door, it makes you go down

But it is how to enter the door near the exit where you come down, I do not know how to do it.

The file HINTS.TXT I read it, but I do not seem to find any information about this level
NY00123
Vorticon Elite

Post by NY00123 »

robertl81 wrote:But it is how to enter the door near the exit where you come down, I do not know how to do it.

The file HINTS.TXT I read it, but I do not seem to find any information about this level
I'd add these for now:
- The path to the top-left door follows the path to the top-right door.
- Assuming you've found the way to the top-left door, recheck HINTS.TXT.
robertl81
Vortininja

Post by robertl81 »

NY00123 wrote:
robertl81 wrote:But it is how to enter the door near the exit where you come down, I do not know how to do it.

I'd add these for now:
- The path to the top-left door follows the path to the top-right door.
- Assuming you've found the way to the top-left door, recheck HINTS.TXT.
No, I have not found the way to get the top-left door (unless I use the cheat)

Also i do not see any path from the door to the right to the left (as you can see from the image below into the top using the Ctrl + y), but only a small space at the top, where using the Jump cheat, keen can cling to, but if I do not use the Jump cheat, how do I get there?

Image[/img]
NY00123
Vorticon Elite

Post by NY00123 »

The way revealed by the cheat *is* the path, in fact. It can surely be done without the jump cheat, I've just tested. Basically, as Keen enters the right door, you should press-and-hold the "jump" *and* "move left" keys *before* Keen begins to fall down.
robertl81
Vortininja

Post by robertl81 »

NY00123 wrote:The way revealed by the cheat *is* the path, in fact. It can surely be done without the jump cheat, I've just tested. Basically, as Keen enters the right door, you should press-and-hold the "jump" *and* "move left" keys *before* Keen begins to fall down.
Thanks for the tip.
Effectively, without your suggestion, I would not have ever come to have done so to get in the door at the top.
Now, the other problem is how to overcome the second barrier that allows you to get to the card rockets.
I saw that on the far right, after the barrier, there is another door card copn the rockets, but I do not know where you get there.
Also in this case, I would not know how to proceed without cheats.

NY00123
Vorticon Elite

Post by NY00123 »

robertl81 wrote:Thanks for the tip.
Effectively, without your suggestion, I would not have ever come to have done so to get in the door at the top.
Now, the other problem is how to overcome the second barrier that allows you to get to the card rockets.
HINTS.TXT should .. hint for the answer.
Levellass
S-Triazine

Post by Levellass »

And people have the nerve to get mad at me when my levels aren't immediately obvious.
What you really need, not what you think you ought to want.
robertl81
Vortininja

Post by robertl81 »

NY00123 wrote:
robertl81 wrote:Thanks for the tip.
HINTS.TXT should .. hint for the answer.
Thank you, mystery solved.
Reality, I was aware of the thing that just come out of a door (or house in keen4) is keen invincible for 2 seconds, but only that I had not really thought of doing it in this case.
robertl81
Vortininja

Post by robertl81 »

Levellass wrote:And people have the nerve to get mad at me when my levels aren't immediately obvious.
Maybe, because your levels, or your changes, are too difficult :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol
Lingyan203
Grunt

Post by Lingyan203 »

Hi guys, so I'm currently doing a youtube playthrough of this mod. This is my 2nd playthrough of it. However, the only problem is that I cannot reach the area with the rocket passcard. I even killed the hidden cactoid in the first secret level. Then I got the gem it dropped and took it to open the door below the start. However, when I go in the door and come across a large room, those things are blocking the way to the passcard. I can't seem to figure out how to get to the passcard. I've read pretty much every message here in this thread, and I've tried several ways to approach it, but no clue.

I don't know what to do to get to the passcard. I know it's possible to reach it, even on Easy, which is what I'm playing on.

Does anybody have a clue how to reach that passcard?
Quillax
Vorticon Elite

Post by Quillax »

One hint that I could give you when it comes to getting that pass card, is that whenever you exit a door, you will hold invincibility to any sort of hazards for a small amount of time. Making use of that feature is the key to getting the pass card.
Quillax Ship - Where you can download all of my cool, keen mods and super-marvelous fangames!
simmiekay82
Meep

Re: Keen 6 Mini-MOD: Aliens Ate My Babysitter ...Again

Post by simmiekay82 »

Hello. My 5 year old son is desperate to play this game. But it keeps on crashing with "MM_GetPtr: Out of memory!".

I am pretty sure the problem is I am using the wrong version of the KEEN6 executable. I know I am supposed to use version 1.4, but I guess I must have some other version. (I run UNLZEXE but still get the MM_GetPtr error, in fact I get the same error whether I UNLZEXE or not.)

One thing that would help, would be if someone could provide hashes (such as MD5 or SHA1) and sizes for the various different versions of KEEN6.EXE.

This is the file I have uncompressed:

Code: Select all

KEEN6C.EXE: MS-DOS executable, LZEXE v0.91 compressed
Size: 104938
MD5:  ef849ccec21e5ab4d89a8fad92390e84
SHA1: 59aa8f4a45ebffa91ce12d9b73dee5400fc2bd10
And after running UNLZEXE I then get:

KEEN6C.EXE: MS-DOS executable
Size: 266032
MD5:  766e3c85b71f19befdf39454fcc9e5c5
SHA1: a829f424b7359d54c61c62cf162b6ea5826266c6
Is there some kind of patching tool to patch that to the right file version? Could someone tell me the size/MD5/SHA1 of the working file?

Thank you very much
Simon

(If anyone can help me to get this working, there will be one very happy five year old, and one Dad who doesn't have to listen to nagging about it not working any more...)
szemi
Vorticon Elite

Post by szemi »

KEEN6C.EXE is for the CGA version of Keen 6. You can only mod the EGA version (v1.4 only).

EDIT: Sorry, I made mistake. Keen6 CGA has KEEN6.EXE. Nevermind...
Last edited by szemi on Mon Apr 16, 2018 13:18, edited 1 time in total.
Yeah, piece of cake!
Fleexy
Tool Smith

Post by Fleexy »

Welcome to the PCKF! The standard version of Keen 6 for patching purposes has these properties:

COMPRESSED
Size: 107719 bytes
MD5:  766662C97CCE42DA838F0EFE9782C6F0
SHA1: 1429606444A71196657763AD57AA00F76D6390FC

UNCOMPRESSED
Size: 271696 bytes
MD5:  51CB73E2B74B31139A1167BA37488D87
SHA1: D5D6C71CE036862F66555D0D1015A9F019C7788E
There is a file named KEEN6C.EXE floating around that seems to be a "cracked" version, missing the creature naming question before starting/loading a game. There are probably plenty of sites where you can find downloads of other versions, but for reasons of legal safety we don't link to them on the forum. :disguised
Nisaba
Janitress

Post by Nisaba »

hey there simmiekay82,
and welcome to the forums.

is this the first mod you've ever tested? if so, you could always download Keen 4 based mods instead. they should run out of the box cause the needed executable will be already included. Keen4 is shareware, you know.

but let's try to fix your issue:
There is indeed a patching tool to convert different versions of the executable. But before doing so, I'd like to know where you've got the Keen6.exe from? is it a copy of the Keen6 demo version? if so, this might have caused the issue.
out now (link) : Image