The new new music thread

Discuss your favorite movies, books, and music here or just lounge around and see what other people think is classy.
Paramultart
VBB's Partner in Crime

Post by Paramultart »

StupidBunny wrote: Darkthrone - Transilvanian Hunger: I think this is actually better than A Blaze in the Northern Sky, as it's somehow both more succinct and more atmospheric.
Excellent choice. Darkthrone and Burzum are definitely my favorites as far as Black Metal goes. I know it's cliche, but Filosofem and Transylvanian Hunger are as good as it gets for me as far as that genre goes. The new Burzum album Fallen is pretty good, but it doesn't evoke the same gloomy dark vibes that the old stuff did. Actually, any pre-prison from Burzum is amazing... even the Mayhem album Varg played bass on.
"Father Mabeuf was surveying his plants"
StupidBunny
format c:

Post by StupidBunny »

I've acquired a ton of new music since last post, enough that I'm probably going to forget/purposely omit some. Here we go...

YOB - The Illusion of Motion: I'm mostly posting just to talk about this album, which I picked out completely at random and discovered to be one of the most fascinating albums I've found. Incredibly ominous, slow-burning doom metal, creating the impression of vast, dark space. Kinda combines the psychedelic grandeur of a band like Sleep with the bombast of a band like Melvins...though neither comparison quite does justice to how powerful this is. Poptarts hearken to this one.

300.000 V.K. - Also Sprach Johann Paul II: Another highly surprising Laibach-related find, this one credited to a side project of theirs. Better than its sort-of-sequel Hard Drive - Also Sprach Bill Gates, with a much neater flow and more interesting instrumentation.

Whitesnake - Whitesnake: Meh. A couple hard-rockers interspersed among icky balladry. Guess I should've expected as much.

The Cult - Love: I really like this one. Kinda psychedelic gothic rock, very pleasant yet dramatic. Good for driving at night or putting myself in a pleasantly introspective mood.

The Cult - Electric: Almost nothing like the above album, but almost equally good nonetheless. Has much more of an AC/DC, minimalist rock-and-roll vibe.

Pantera - Metal Magic/Projects in the Jungle/I Am the Night: These are apparently all bootlegs as none of these ever got an official CD release (and never will, as Pantera denies their existence.) Apart from the monumentally stupid album art, they're all surprisingly decent, though by the third album it's clear the vocalist isn't fit to keep up with the band's movement towards thrash/traditional heavy metal (which they would of course abandon anyway, on Cowboys from Hell.) An interesting piece of this band's history.

Pink Floyd - Ummagumma: Boy, this is the first Floyd album I've gotten in about 3 years. As such, listening to it was nicely nostalgic. The live album is definitely more consistent and impressive, though the studio album has its moments. Waters' songs (Grantchester Meadows and SSOSFAGTIACAGWAP) are easily the best, and the second of those is hands down the most hilarious thing the band has ever made.

Emperor - In the Nightside Eclipse: One of the most distinctive black metal albums I've heard. The choir-sounding keyboards give it a massive sound that most black metal albums don't strive towards as much. Also the vocalist's screams are terrifying.

Immortal - Pure Holocaust: As with a lot of the best black metal, this manages to be both aggressive and atmospheric, a powerful combination when done right.
Paramultart
VBB's Partner in Crime

Post by Paramultart »

StupidBunny wrote:Pink Floyd - Ummagumma: Boy, this is the first Floyd album I've gotten in about 3 years. As such, listening to it was nicely nostalgic. The live album is definitely more consistent and impressive, though the studio album has its moments. Waters' songs (Grantchester Meadows and SSOSFAGTIACAGWAP) are easily the best, and the second of those is hands down the most hilarious thing the band has ever made.
I love that album. It's better than Dark Side of the Moon, which I find to be grossly overrated.
"Father Mabeuf was surveying his plants"
Benvolio
Vorticon Elite

Post by Benvolio »

Have you explored much early Floyd? A Saucerful of Secrets, Atom Heart Mother and Meddle are probably my favourite of all their albums. The middle three tracks of Atom Heart Mother are unbelievably good. Highly recommended to all. Ummagumma has a fantastic version of A Saucerful of Secrets, if I recall correctly. The organ melody/chord progression is beautiful.

As for those Pantera albums, I used to listen to those early Terry Glaze albums quite a bit when I was getting into Pantera. They got my accustomed to Dimebag's abilities before I had learned to handle the heaviness of their later stuff. 'Blue Light Turning Red' is amazing. And I always liked 'Forever Tonight', even though it is quite a corny pop song. Its guitar solo is amazing. You can hear echoes of 80s Dimebag solos re-used for their larger 90s audience. Indeed, there are Dimebag on-stage solos from 1986 where he has already written, note for note, the solo of the song 'Floods', released in 1996. Nowadays I wouldn't really spend much time listening to those '80s Pantera albums, mostly because the songwriting is way inferior to the musicianship. For songwriting brilliance, Vulgar Display of Power and Far Beyond Driven are the most dazzling. I think Vulgar Display of Power is probably the best metal album ever. If you can suggest a better one, I'd like to hear about it!
Keening_Product
Kuliwho?

Post by Keening_Product »

I agree, early Floyd is excellent. There are some great tracks that were never released too, which is a shame but they can be found. Vegetable Man, Embryo, Lucy Leave and so on. There are even other versions of Ibiza Bar floating around.
Keening_Product was defeated before the game.

"Wise words. One day I may even understand what they mean." - Levellass
StupidBunny
format c:

Post by StupidBunny »

By about 4 years ago I had every pre-The-Wall album except for Ummagumma and More (I still don't have the latter of those.) I started out with the proggier 70s albums, so Piper took me some getting used to, but I definitely think it's one of their best. I still think Meddle is my favorite Floyd album. I haven't listened to Atom Heart Mother in eons, and now I kind of want to.

@ Benvolio: I could name a bunch of metal albums I think are better--even by Pantera (I can't believe I forgot to mention The Great Southern Trendkill, which I also acquired recently and surely must be one of the best metal albums of the 90s). Vulgar Display of Power is pretty good, but I find Cowboys and Trendkill much more interesting personally. It's interesting that so much of your early Pantera experience was with their 80s work though. I agree that the songwriting is sub-par--certainly the lyrics especially--but that some of Dime's best playing is on those. Also, as far as Power Metal I was amazed to discover the vocal range Anselmo has. Guy sounds like Rob Halford at times.
Keening_Product
Kuliwho?

I played Echoes on the radio in its entirety about a month ago. No regrets.

Benvolio
Vorticon Elite

Post by Benvolio »

You're a DJ? Awesome! It's not Radio Norwich you work for perchance is it? :P

Here we're lucky to have Radio Nova (a worldwide phenomenon I believe) who play a full classic album every single night at 11pm. FM would be utterly intolerable without them.

@StupidBunny I do indeed love Trendkill and Cowboys. But I think that they rely more on standout tracks such as 'The Sleep' and 'Floods'. Whrereas the middle two are just straight up excellent albums. Ultimately, it's all top class music.

The last while I've been listening a great deal to Slipknot (1999), IOWA (2001) and Vol. 3 (The Subliminal Verses) (2004), all by Slipknot. It's just such good fun to listen to. I hope their next CD is good!
Syllypryde
Vorticon Elite

Post by Syllypryde »

20 Lb Sledge- Divine Battery
AC/DC- Fly on the Wall
AC/DC- Powerage
Biohazard- Means to an End
Clutch- Earth Rocker
Cyco Miko- That Mad Mad Muir Musical Tour
Dying Fetus- Descend into Depravity
Dying Fetus- Reign Supreme
Metallica- Master of Puppets
Suicidal Tendencies- How Will I Laugh Tomorrow When I Can't Even Smile Today
Suicidal Tendencies- 13
Suicidal Tendencies- Year of the Cycos
.niarb ym fo
snoitulovnoc eht tuaba
selbbarcs ssensuoicsnoc
rehgih a ekil smees
Keening_Product
Kuliwho?

Haha, I was talking myself up a bit there - it's just a community radio gig.

And that station sounds great! There's very little adventurous radio in Australia.

I've found one of the preset web radio stations in Rhythmbox, Radio Paradise, is actually good. The name made me think it would be pop but it really isn't; I tuned in to Gomez and the Flaming Lips, Alt-J, Queens of the Stone Age, Razia Said, Triggerfinger and Band of Horses. Not adventurous, but good music.

tulip
Flower Pot

Post by tulip »

Now you're talking yourself down, because that show (at least what I heard of it) was pretty awesome.

Also re Pantera and Slipknot: I pretty much lol-ed at the cheesieness (how the .. do you write that word "cheesyness" "cheesiness" all looks strange) of Forever Night. And then you talk about getting used to Pantera heavyness and now you listen to Slipknot. Given I don't really know their newer stuff, and what I've heard was pretty much pop, but the first has some pretty interesting stuff on it, besides energy burners like Spit it Out and No Life, there's transitions from ultra heavy to melodic (Frail Limb Nursery) that are as unexpected as they still are organic, and the intro to Prosthetics is going right under the skin.
Image You crack me up little buddy!
StupidBunny
format c:

Post by StupidBunny »

I find even the best Glamtera songs to be funny in as much measure as they are cool. "Ride My Rocket"? But I find glam metal is best enjoyed when not taken seriously, and it only helps when the band (especially the guitarist) has the musical talent to back up the inherent silliness in the lyrics.

I know virtually nothing about Slipknot. They're one of those bands that of course people love to hate on (many of my friends included) but I always suspect there's a lot of such bands I would like if I tried listening to them. Given that Pantera gets a lot of similarly angled hate as well, and I quite like their music, I may have to give Slipknot a try one day.
StupidBunny
format c:

Post by StupidBunny »

Type O Negative - World Coming Down: There's not many albums I get that strike me quite as much as this one did. There's nothing pandering, gratuitous, or insincere about the gloomy, depressing atmosphere of these songs; it's an honest look at a man's life as it deteriorates around him, and his conviction that it's his own making, making the whole experience so moving and beautiful and heart-wrenching in a way that's hard to find in music. Truly an amazing work of melancholia.

Def Leppard - On Through the Night: The band's debut, one which they apparently don't acknowledge much anymore. Which is fine, as Def Leppard royally sucks now, and the music here is pretty fun. It's interesting, too, as it definitely feels more rooted in 70s rock than anything else they did.

Sunn O))) - ØØ Void: Dark, plodding, and incredibly minimal, with very little changing from the beginning of a song (which all average around 15 minutes) to the end. It doesn't give much to listen in to, but it's great mood music if you want spacious atmospherics. Curious to see some of the later stuff they've done.

Björk - Debut: I enjoyed this more than I thought I would, probably for the amount of character Björk has when she sings.

Psychonaut - Witches' Sabbath: I got this with no clue what sort of music was contained inside, and I'm not sure I like it. I have yet to get through the whole thing, but the first couple of tracks seem mostly to be insubstantial choir and tribal noise with some pretentious-sounding spoken word stuff from some lady. I guess I can still give the rest a chance but so far I'm unimpressed.

EDIT: I got to the end of the album...it has its moments, some tracks are kinda-decent dark ambient stuff, but mostly it's just too self-consciously artsy for its own good. Lots of flutes, drums, and way overdramatic speaking over the music. It's like the sort of thing the Simpsons or King of the Hill would make as a parody of art students; I just picture a bunch of beatnikey types sitting around reading their weird pagan poetry about sexuality and sh** while playing cultural-sounding instrumentals. Apparently this CD is some sort of limited-run and I am in possession of one of only a few hundred copies, but it's hard to imagine it'll be in high demand anytime soon (I got it for like 5 bucks used anyway.) Don't think I'll be listening to this one much.

Gorgoroth - Pentagram: Liked this a lot better than their Under the Sign of Hell, which somehow felt lighter in comparison. Kinda reminds me of Immortal in their moody but bombastic style.

YOB - Catharsis: Didn't knock me off my feet quite as much as The Illusion of Motion did, but I guess once you're struck by a group's sound it takes a lot for them to strike you again. It was kind of funny how the 24-minute title track ends in an abrupt cutoff, depriving the listener of any catharsis whatsoever.

Danzig - Danzig III: How the Gods Kill: Not as varied as Danzig II, but much doomier and heavier. It's a real tough call but I think I like this one better.
Last edited by StupidBunny on Mon Feb 24, 2014 0:03, edited 1 time in total.
Benvolio
Vorticon Elite

Post by Benvolio »

StupidBunny wrote:Type O Negative
I have only recently become aware of this band and their merits. I like what I hear so far. I have started with 1993's 'Bloody Kisses'. Strong influences that I can hear include Nick Cave, and the Doors. It has been a bit of a dream of mine to hear such sounds in the metal context and, well, there it is. I should branch out and try some of their later stuff such as 'World Coming Down'.
StupidBunny wrote:Psychonaut
Haha I typed them into youtube and found a very convincing Slayer mimic band from Australia... I don't think that's who you were talking about.

So anyway.... of late I've been revisiting some old favourites of the so-called 'sludge' or 'stoner' genres:
Down - NOLA (1995)
Down - Down II: A Bustle In Your Hedgerow (2002)
Melvins - Houdini (1993)
Melvins - Bullhead (1991)
Sleep - Sleep's Holy Mountain (1992)
Kyuss - Blues For The Red Sun (1992)
and, reigning supreme above all above records...
Black Sabbath - Past Lives (2002), which incorporates the Live At Last recording made in 1973, as well as a mélange of other '70s Sabbath including tracks from the wonderful Paris Concert from 1970, which can be watched in its entirety on Youtube.

Further suggestions in a similar genre to all/any of above are welcome!!!
tulip
Flower Pot

Post by tulip »

Benvolio wrote:Melvins - Houdini (1993)
Sleep - Sleep's Holy Mountain (1992)
I was on a Melvins trip last spring too, it's incredible stuff.
Thank you for listening to Sleep, I have mentioned that Band to friends and almost always the reaction is: Do you seriously like that? There's little music I like that has been met with so many puzzled reactions.

Also here's a suggestion I got from a colleague of mine:
http://perturbator.bandcamp.com/

Not what I'm usually listening to, but I'm addicted to this right now.
Image You crack me up little buddy!